Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #85
Senior Member
 
Funkmoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds
I read who carries and who don't and those who will not tell but my questions has more to do with who has been in a situation parked in a remote site, Walmart parking lot, roadside rest area,truck stops, etc. and felt that they needed a weapon to defend or protect themselfs? I have had concerns about stopping in places outside of a campground due to the lack of security. I have no problem defending myself but I do not want to increase the need to do so by stopping overnight in a place that isn't safe.
Doesn't have to be an overnight stay in a parking lot or rest stop. Could be that your stuck on the side of a highway and the predator knows that and stops to harm you. After harming you he quickly escapes back into the highway. Just SAYIN.
__________________

__________________
Funkmoney is offline  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #86
Senior Member
 
johnnyringo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 263
Sorry, a little off topic. Anyone notice the price disparity between 9MM and 380? I picked up 100 rd box of Winchester 9MM HP for $25. 380 is $38. Also noticed that the shelves in some stores are nearly empty of 380 and 9MM.
__________________

__________________
2014 Keystone Bullet 22RBPR
2005 GMC Envoy Denali
johnnyringo is offline  
Old 06-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #87
Senior Member
 
toneumanns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 792
I was filling up very early in the morning in remote area of Kansas when a man came up to me and asked for gas money. I'm not sure what his intensions were but i was glad my hand was supporting a 9mm in my pocket. Very glad I didn't need it but I was glad I had it.
__________________
2011 Itasca Suncruiser, Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
MSgt retired USAF 1988, AA retired 2005
toneumanns is offline  
Old 06-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #88
Senior Member
 
stepside454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,183
I know a true story of this from a former boss. This happened a few years after I was no longer working there, but we still know & see each other as we're in the same industry.
He & his family were heading to a family reunion or something about 10-12 yrs ago. Had car trouble & pulled off the hiway at the next exit, probably a mistake because there was really nothing there but them & a broke down car.
A short time later a guy stopped & offered help, a short time later a van pulled up, at gunpoint they were forced into the van, driven to a bldg out on the country, dad was beaten & left for dead, mom & daughter & I think a niece all raped violently, young boy was screaming ended up locked in the van while they abused the mom & girls. Brad blames himself for not being able to protect his family to this day.
__________________
stepside454 is offline  
Old 06-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #89
Senior Member
 
toneumanns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
I know a true story of this from a former boss. This happened a few years after I was no longer working there, but we still know & see each other as we're in the same industry.
He & his family were heading to a family reunion or something about 10-12 yrs ago. Had car trouble & pulled off the hiway at the next exit, probably a mistake because there was really nothing there but them & a broke down car.
A short time later a guy stopped & offered help, a short time later a van pulled up, at gunpoint they were forced into the van, driven to a bldg out on the country, dad was beaten & left for dead, mom & daughter & I think a niece all raped violently, young boy was screaming ended up locked in the van while they abused the mom & girls. Brad blames himself for not being able to protect his family to this day.
My motorhome has a fire extinguisher............I hope I never have to use it. Same holds true for my weapon............ but it will be used if necessary.
__________________
2011 Itasca Suncruiser, Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
MSgt retired USAF 1988, AA retired 2005
toneumanns is offline  
Old 06-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #90
Senior Member
 
stepside454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,183
Johnny, about the same here
__________________
stepside454 is offline  
Old 06-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #91
Senior Member
 
Cat320's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,757
To answer the OP's question, yes, and have a concealed carry permit.
__________________
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline  
Old 06-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #92
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
I was filling up very early in the morning in remote area of Kansas when a man came up to me and asked for gas money. I'm not sure what his intensions were but i was glad my hand was supporting a 9mm in my pocket. Very glad I didn't need it but I was glad I had it.
That's a tactic often used by people with criminal intent. It gives them an opportunity to assess your attitude and possibly get a look at your wallet. If you are unarmed and act timid and they have criminal intent, you will find yourself a either victim or dead pretty quick. Robbers are predators. No predatory animal or predatory human wants to be injured. It's usually the end of their life or livelihood. If they assess that you may have a gun then they will almost always leave you alone. That is, unless they're impaired by drugs or alcohol or just plain stupid.
__________________
Check out my photos and videos at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80431173@N00/collections/
grafxman is offline  
Old 06-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #93
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 36
I am a concealed carry person myself. I have a bit of an arsenal at home. I usually at least have a .45 on my side. However...within a campground I am not certain I would be willing to take that lethal shot. One simple reason...you (the shooter) are responsible for that round. Which means within the area there are several endangered lives based on the discharge of one round.

I am all for self defense use of force, including deadly force, but so help me god if someone's boneheaded move of firing at a criminal causes harm to my family.

There may be a time when you need it, but remember it's never okay to harm an innocent bystander.

Just my opinion.

Aim small, hit small.
__________________
dkauffman101 is offline  
Old 06-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #94
Senior Member
 
R2Home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Palmer Ak
Posts: 1,124
Answer to OP, 'Treaspass here and find out'! Otherwise 'no comment'.
__________________
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline  
Old 06-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #95
Senior Member
 
Steve N Sal's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,614
I guess that would be for someone to find out. I wouldn't disclose this information.
__________________
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Michigan (Winter For Now)
Steve N Sal is offline  
Old 06-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #96
Moderator Emeritus
 
K-Star's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Fulltime - Currently somewhere in the lower 48
Posts: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
Answer to OP, 'Treaspass here and find out'! Otherwise 'no comment'.

Ditto
__________________
John, Joyce & Zoie the Terrier. - Fulltime since `08

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline  
Old 06-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus
 
K-Star's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Fulltime - Currently somewhere in the lower 48
Posts: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkauffman101 View Post
I am a concealed carry person myself. I have a bit of an arsenal at home. I usually at least have a .45 on my side. However...within a campground I am not certain I would be willing to take that lethal shot. One simple reason...you (the shooter) are responsible for that round. Which means within the area there are several endangered lives based on the discharge of one round.

I am all for self defense use of force, including deadly force, but so help me god if someone's boneheaded move of firing at a criminal causes harm to my family.

There may be a time when you need it, but remember it's never okay to harm an innocent bystander.

Just my opinion.

Aim small, hit small.
That was my concern too. I was in a local gunshop and talked to the owner. He pointed me towards something called safe ammo, similar to frangible rounds. Frangible ammo is generally reserved for Law Enforcement (or at least I was told), but the safe ammo will take care of the situation at hand, but if the round hits a wall (even sheetrock), the round will disintegrate.
__________________
John, Joyce & Zoie the Terrier. - Fulltime since `08

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline  
Old 06-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #98
Member
 
Biken201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 63
Send a message via Yahoo to Biken201
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3705309289.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	22043

Say hello to my 130 lb friend... (and he's one of the four who travel with us)
__________________

__________________
2014 Arctic Fox 31D
2011 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins
Biken201 is offline  
Closed Thread



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.