Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We're from Texas. 'Nuff said.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #100

Winnebago Owners Club
Oh, heck yes, in addition to our two large, loud and protective dogs. The dogs are very gentle unless they feel threatened. If someone is stupid enough to try to get past them they will be staring into two barrels. We are friendly folks but both have arms and routinely visit firing ranges. We did recently add another weapon-a gun that fires pepper spray. Looks like the real thing and is quite handy at fuel stops where there may be other people and where we are close enough to the coach to make a mad dash into safety should the need arise.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
That was my concern too. I was in a local gunshop and talked to the owner. He pointed me towards something called safe ammo, similar to frangible rounds. Frangible ammo is generally reserved for Law Enforcement (or at least I was told), but the safe ammo will take care of the situation at hand, but if the round hits a wall (even sheetrock), the round will disintegrate.
Frangible ammo is ok for civilian use, I strongly encorage folks to use it, the life you save may be a loved one
Old 06-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson View Post
Frangible ammo is ok for civilian use, I strongly encorage folks to use it, the life you save may be a loved one
Frang and shot shells for my handguns for HD use.

Actually I just a have a very sharp wit and I know how to use it
Old 06-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #103

Winnebago Owners Club
Arrow

Frangible ammo not recommended for defense:

"The hype and claims are not always entirely true. In tests frangible ammunition fails to penetrate deep enough to damage a vital organ or tissue. Usually only 4 to 6 inches in ballistic gelatin before disintegration. These high velocity light weight bullets do not penetrate as well as heavy slow ones and disintegrate much to fast. They certainly transfer energy well, (shoot a watermelon with one, great fun) and are capable of stunning an attacker, but fall short in the penetration area. (12 inches penetration in ballistic gelatin is the minimum required by FBI)"

This is just a snippet from one site. But if you search for actual data from actual shootings and don't just believe the "studies" bought and paid for by ammo manufacturers, then you will likely come to the same conclusion. Frangible ammo is inconsistently effective, especially against people who are fat or who are wearing thick or multiple layers of clothing. When it comes to life or death situations, may I suggest sticking to what's been proven in real life.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #104

Agreed
Old 06-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #105

I'd consider a Frangible as the first round, after that HPs
Old 06-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetieZ View Post
We did recently add another weapon-a gun that fires pepper spray. Looks like the real thing and is quite handy at fuel stops where there may be other people and where we are close enough to the coach to make a mad dash into safety should the need arise.

That is great to know, thanks!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #107

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
I was filling up very early in the morning in remote area of Kansas when a man came up to me and asked for gas money. I'm not sure what his intentions were but i was glad my hand was supporting a 9mm in my pocket. Very glad I didn't need it but I was glad I had it.
One of our "incidents" was in a Flying J truck stop in Mississippi. Broad daylight and I'm filling up the diesel. The"gentleman" pulled in beside us started "interview" while his buddy when around the back of the MH, around the toad was was coming up the passenger side. Fortunately, I was able to extricate us from the situation before it deteriorated.

For those who believe that CGs are safe, let me tell you about a Passport listed one in Murfreesboro, TN, about 25miles East of Nashville. It looked fine out in front by the office. I should have known to try some thing different when I pulled in 3 sites down from a school bus powered with orange extension cords to the post and window air conditions through the windows. It was one of the "never again" experiences.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #108

About thirty years ago we were camped at a lake on Barksdale AFB in a cab-over. As was my custom, I got up early, put on a pot of coffee, and went to check the fishing lines. I left the wife to catch a few more winks. As soon as I got in the boat and was out of sight of the camper, a guy opened the door to the camper and stepped in. My wife reached under her pillow and told the guy that he had 5 seconds to back out the door before she started shooting. He apparently believed her and left.

Since that time, we have always been armed, regardless of whether it was legal or not. We just do not advertise the fact that we have weapons, but we will not surrender our right to defend ourselves.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #109

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

Ditto. I learned that early on. Any bad guys who think we "mature" RVers are going to be an easy mark... well, Darwin just may take care of them.

"We" have to be among the most heavily armed demographics in the country and many (many) have combat training... and we have no shortage of independence and attitude. I hope the bad guys read RV forums.

Rick
If they were smart enough to read this forum, we wouldn't HAVE to carry!
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Old 06-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #110

Monaco Owners Club
I have a pernit to carry,
Old 06-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #111

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miljet View Post
About thirty years ago we were camped at a lake on Barksdale AFB in a cab-over. As was my custom, I got up early, put on a pot of coffee, and went to check the fishing lines. I left the wife to catch a few more winks. As soon as I got in the boat and was out of sight of the camper, a guy opened the door to the camper and stepped in. My wife reached under her pillow and told the guy that he had 5 seconds to back out the door before she started shooting. He apparently believed her and left.

Since that time, we have always been armed, regardless of whether it was legal or not. We just do not advertise the fact that we have weapons, but we will not surrender our right to defend ourselves.
Just watch when you get in NE and Illinois. NJ, NY, Il and MD take a very dim view and award a lot of penalties to those who just want to defend themselves. I wish that equal penalties were awarded to those who make defending oneself necessary.

Even the Federal laws for legally transporting firearms are ignored in NJ and NY, let alone having them in a condition where they could be used in self defense. A loaded handgun in NJ or NY is going to get you a a big dose of jail time.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #112

I keep this book in my motorhome:

Gunlaws for the 50 States

It seems pretty authoritative.

Closed Thread