Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Are you armed?

After reading all of those testimonials about spending the night in Wal-Marts parking lot I got to thinking. Is it safe? I mean as far as pranksters, or worse, robbers. What do you folks do in order to feel safe and secure while you are in some strange neighborhood? Do you keep pepper spray nearby? A steak knife by the bed side? Or a gun under the mattress? I need to reassure the Mrs. that when the lights go out and we are ready to retire for the evening, that I have taken the necessary precautions for our safety and well being.
BTW, one helpful hint that I'd like to share with you is, if you keep your car keys nearby, say on the night stand, and you somehow feel threatened by would be intruders, ( or bears) you can simply hit the panic button on the key. That will set off the tow vehicles alarm and ought to scare them away.
I don't mean to sound paranoid here but it is a very real concern of ours.
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
At least a 12 Ga and a couple sidearms someplace in the MH. Did have to show I was not going to be a victum once.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm armed. I have one on each side.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I do have a CHL ...but it is not your concern as to whether I am carrying or not.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 06-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #5

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase
BTW, one helpful hint that I'd like to share with you is, if you keep your car keys nearby, say on the night stand, and you somehow feel threatened by would be intruders, ( or bears) you can simply hit the panic button on the key. That will set off the tow vehicles alarm and ought to scare them away.
I don't mean to sound paranoid here but it is a very real concern of ours.
Thanks
The Car alarm nor will the horn scare the bears away! We made the mistake of leaving trash can outside while camping in the woods near Steamboat Springs,Colorado 2 years ago(I know- stupid us) well both the dogs knew danger was very near and didn't make a sound! No barking, no low growl just went to the back of the rig and waited for direction from me. These are 2 Big dogs that have protected our house from intruders in the past. The bear ate his/her fill and when it stood up to have a look in the window we felt the MH tilt a bit! I fired of a few shots out the opposite window and had been honking the horn turning on exterior lights( sheriff was on the phone telling us what to do Not the bears fault so don't shoot it unless its in the rig) he said if we have to drive away! Awnings out and all.

Now Walmart parking is city/area dependent, some are well lit and never had issues others we just keep driving right on by and that's during the daytime. Many thread on the site about guns,pepper spray, bug spray, etc.. The key is what are YOU willing to deal with or do in a bad situation? My recommendation is listen to the voice in your head and go with your gut. If it looks and feels funny why risk it. Not being scared just being safe. There are sketchy places all over the world. Situational awareness is your friend.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Cell phone with 9-1-1 programed to dial if I forget the number. Also, I have keys to RV so I can drive off if someone is being a pain. I've only used a gun to hunt, never people.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 06-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Next time you are at a Walmart, look around the outside of the building and the light poles in the parking lot. There are cameras everywhere. Through out the store as well. Where do you think all the pictures for "People of Walmart" come from?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #8

I always carry a firearm when traveling with my wife. Even though most rv people are friendly there are a lot of unfriendly people out there that prey on travelers. A gun is used for hunting and protecting so why not have one or two? Better to have a gun and not need it than needing a gun and not having one. Be safe!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #9

Those who have been to chl/ccw class know this but for others who may not be aware, defending your self(right or wrong) has legal ramifications that will affect your immediate travel plans.
Non lethal steps are preferred, if possible.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunysz513
Those who have been to chl/ccw class know this but for others who may not be aware, defending your self(right or wrong) has legal ramifications that will affect your immediate travel plans.
Non lethal steps are preferred, if possible.
Correct firearms are a last resort but do not be afraid to defend yourself and family from serious bodily injury and or death.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #11

Am I armed? YEP
Old 06-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #12

Sheesh, if you are so insecure stay home so the rest of us don't have to worry about setting you off. I do own a firearm, an old single shot .410 my grandfather used to hunt grouse, but I would never consider packing it around while traveling. Besides, that is illegal here.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
Sheesh, if you are so insecure stay home so the rest of us don't have to worry about setting you off.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Don't ask, don't tell.
Closed Thread