Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #113

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
"Sheesh, if you are so insecure stay home so the rest of us don't have to worry about setting you off. I do own a firearm, an old single shot .410 my grandfather used to hunt grouse, but I would never consider packing it around while traveling. Besides, that is illegal here. "

Roy, I admire your courage but must frown on your naivete' if you feel that way. Some of the locations around the US are just dangerous. Too many years on the job as a LEO has taught me that some of the most beautiful cities in the States change completely after dark. I expect I will never get to travel into Canada because I am too aware (I don't think it is paranoia, just cautious) of what CAN go wrong and don't want to risk jail time by bringing a gun into your country.
I realize you, as a Canadian citizen, cannot bring a firearm into the US and obviously don't want to. However if you travel here, and we certainly hope you do, please keep in mind we have a much higher crime rate here than in your beautiful nation. We are not proud of it of course, but it is a painful fact.
Thanks fro clarifying pretty much my intent of this post. I am not a paranoid. Maybe he had interpreted my OP as being that way. But I saw the situation as you did. I have been around. And you hit the nail on the head when you said how beautiful American cities can change when the sun goes down.
I was glad that a great many folks who replied did take precautions. I wanted not to find out who they specially were, I don't want to know, I just wanted a feel from those who have been doing this for a long time and what their own experiences were and how they tried to avoid trouble.
As one fellow who replied said " I don't overnight at Wal-Mart, and I stay out of the overnight rest areas. I felt that that also would be a prudent thing to do. He just corroborated it.
In closing I was greatly pleased to see that although we, as campers are a generally good natured, fun loving lot, when our right to express that is threatened we are not to be mistaken for an easy mark for some dirt bag, drug addled predator!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #114

I carry all the time. Reguardless of the gunlaws in what ever state your in, If you shoot/kill some one, the question that need to be answerd in front of a jury is: Did you fear for your life or the life of someone else? So don't shoot someone just because he standing to close to your dingy. If you do choose to shoot someone, my oppinion is you better kill them (unload that clip) reguardless if your defending yourself, or you will be in civil court the rest of your life.

I read about an elderly women that shot an intruder in her own home. When the police arrived, the cop asked her: I understand you needing to shoot the intruder, but why did you shoot him with all 6 rounds? Her reply was: because my gun dosen't hold a 7th.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #115

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post
I keep this book in my motorhome:

Gunlaws for the 50 States

It seems pretty authoritative.
That is an excelant sourse of information. They seem to keep it updated real well.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #116

National RV Owners Club
What a great thread! I've been enjoying reading this one. Interesting replies.

For me and my family, we camp in bear country. They're rarely a problem for any campers, but we are appropriately prepared for them or any other intruder.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #117

Had nothing but this thread running through my mind as we were stopped on the side of the road while hubby took the van into town to get something to fix the awning. Definately going to look into that gun that shoots pepper spray.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #118

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
Had nothing but this thread running through my mind as we were stopped on the side of the road while hubby took the van into town to get something to fix the awning. Definately going to look into that gun that shoots pepper spray.
Please remember that if it really looks like a gun, and the scumbag see's it and is armed, you have escalated the action. If the spray does not blind him quick enough, you may be the one on the recieving end of his wrath and end up being shot.
Please don't take this as anti pepper spray. Pepper spray comes in large cannisters and will normaly work effectivly.I would not use anything that looks like a gun when a gun is needed. It's the real thing or nothing.
Please review all your options befor you make your decision.
Happy camping and be safe.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #119

Thank you.

Just not comfortable with a gun with having a teenager & a 5 year old. I would think it would need to be in a safe to keep them safe but then its of no use for split second protection in the safe.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #120

Kay, depends on the kids & the training the kids get. As I stated earlier, I'm confident in what my kids would do if they found a gun.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #121

I've been called a skeptic. I've also experienced murphy's law. Did I mention that I don't sleep with any windows open or doors unlocked cause I was raised that you do everything in your power to try to prevent being a victim. In the off chance that either of my kids were to hurt themselves (even with training, cause it does happen) with a gun that I could have prevented them from coming in contact with, I would completely blame myself & don't know how I could deal with that.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #122

I get it, it's all good
Old 06-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #123

Vintage RV Owners Club
Y'all ready for a laugh?

I'm not a gun toter, but I laughed my patootie off at the end of this video...

To set it up:
A couple of good ol' boys decide to follow and hassle a fellow driving a convertible. I s'pose he passed them too close or something..one of the boys has a camera and films the "chase"...which ends when the target turns down a dead end road...stops...the boys get out of their truck...and SURPRISE!!!

WARNING:This Video contains Naughty Language!

Rednecks Mess With Wrong Guy - YouTube
Old 06-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #124

A little long, but hilarious!
Old 06-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #125

Great thread,
We carry a Fish Bat behind the seat and a Flare Pistol in the glove box. You never know what is around the corner.
Example, the old couple near Edson, AB a couple of years ago. Found their MH burned and have never found the bodies. There are bad people out there where ever you go. Always keep your eyes & ears open.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Y'all ready for a laugh?

I'm not a gun toter, but I laughed my patootie off at the end of this video...

To set it up:
A couple of good ol' boys decide to follow and hassle a fellow driving a convertible. I s'pose he passed them too close or something..one of the boys has a camera and films the "chase"...which ends when the target turns down a dead end road...stops...the boys get out of their truck...and SURPRISE!!!

WARNING:This Video contains Naughty Language!

Rednecks Mess With Wrong Guy - YouTube
I think those guys might be Canadians. I think I heard the camera operator come out with an EH.
Closed Thread