Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #141

Winnebago Owners Club
Regarding kids and guns, kids are curious are they not? If they're not trained how to deal with firearms what do you suppose might happen when they do find one laying around? (Please note I did not say you should leave your guns laying around.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post
...These days there are very small light weight pocket pistols that are .380 in caliber which is more that enough to kill someone, especially at close range...
There's a reason military and police don't issue calibers smaller than 9mm with a 4" barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post
...Just go to a big gun shop, talk to people there and do your research before you go...
People at gun shops are rarely experts, but they're always salesmen.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #142

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Great thread,
We carry a Fish Bat behind the seat and a Flare Pistol in the glove box. You never know what is around the corner.
Example, the old couple near Edson, AB a couple of years ago. Found their MH burned and have never found the bodies. There are bad people out there where ever you go. Always keep your eyes & ears open.
And in some states (WA is one) the flare gun is exactly that a gun and you have to follow the same rules as any other gun. Either have a state recognized concealed permit or it has to be unloaded in your vehicle.
Seems to be an Internet "rumor" that a flare gun is legal everywhere, it isn't.
Quote:
RCW 9.41.010
Terms defined.

(7) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by retmotor View Post
Regarding kids and guns, kids are curious are they not? If they're not trained how to deal with firearms what do you suppose might happen when they do find one laying around? (Please note I did not say you should leave your guns laying around.)
And I didn't say kids shouldn't be trained.

Quote:

There's a reason military and police don't issue calibers smaller than 9mm with a 4" barrel.
There certainly is a very good reason. They know they HAVE to stop someone with the very first shot if possible, thus the more powerful caliber. Furthermore, they carry their weapons unconcealed and we are talking about, or at least I was talking about, a concealed weapon. 9mm handguns are always larger than something like a Ruger LCP.

Quote:

People at gun shops are rarely experts, but they're always salesmen.
Truer words have never been spoken about people in gun shops. They always want to sell you what they have in the display case. That's why I stated to do your homework first.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #144

Newmar Owners Club
In the training I have been through, military, State Police certified Armed Guard, and many other safety and shooting courses, I have found one thing to be true. In order to protect yourself you must have a wepon. The caliber never means as much as the shot placement. To my way of thinking, the .380 well placed is better than a .45 sitting in the safe. Just saying..........MHO.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #145

Exactly, and let me add , your better off using a gun you can shoot with some accuracy, even if it's a small caliber than one you can't. I know my wife can shoot her .380 & hit the target several times if needed. She can't do that with a larger gun.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #146

Fleetwood Owners Club
Armed: Yes, Properly trained: Yes, Properly licensed: Yes Prepared to use the weapon if necessary: Yes
Old 06-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #147

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
yeah, whats that old saying? "A .380 in the hand is worth two .45s in the safe". something like that.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #148

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
Each of us needs to solve the problems that we face in our own way. I'm a fan of working with teenagers to teach responsible actions so making guns available to use with those lessons is important to me. I would much rather have the guns available for me to reinforce concepts like the 4 rules of safe handling than to risk a teenager's curiosity coming out at a friend's house where the parents might have less well controlled guns.

To me, this circles directly back to main part of this thread. I'd admit that having firearms in an RV is especially challenging if there are children and teenagers around. We are planning a 15 day RV trip with our 8 year old granddaughter and want to do everything to keep her safe. I'm already starting to teach her about guns and how to safely handle them. There is a fine line between making sure that we are able to defend ourselves in a rapidly developing situation and absolutely guaranteeing that she cannot accidentally come into contact with something that she isn't supposed to.
I agree about training kids in gun safety. However, kids are still kids and teenagers are kids with raging hormones who are convinced they are invincible and know it all, especially when around their peers. I though I had trained my son better than to mess around with the BB gun unsupervised; I was wrong.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Past performance does not guarantee future results, as my financial advisor often reminds me. Has your camper ever caught fire? Probably not. Do you carry a fire extinguisher? I'd bet you do. So, why carry the extra weight if you've never had a fire?

I don't "pack heat" in my RV because I need to feel safe. I do so because I need to feel well prepared.

Just as I have (now three) fire extinguishers on board. I don't carry them because I see lots of fires to put out. I carry them because if I do see a fire, I'll have the equipment to deal with it.
this ^^ very well said Ramblin.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #150

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Exactly, and let me add , your better off using a gun you can shoot with some accuracy, even if it's a small caliber than one you can't. I know my wife can shoot her .380 & hit the target several times if needed. She can't do that with a larger gun.
I went to the range with my Kahr P45 and CM9. Both have lasers on them. Found that while the 9 was smaller and lighter I could shoot better with the 45. So you do need to try what ever it is you want to have with you if needed.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stCougar View Post
You gun tooters make it sound like it's the old wild,wild west.

I you are going to try sarcasm, try to spell it correctly.
"You gun tooters" makes it sound like our guns are passing gas.....
The word is "toters", not tooters.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #152

I was going to day something about that, decided not to, I make my fair share of spelling errors lol
Old 06-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #153

Mr. D , I think my next is going to be a CM9
Old 06-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #154

I am quite the tooter when I consume the "right" food.

Regardless of what some may think, the right to carry is a personal opinion. I carry for a different reason then some, but I have my reasons simple enough.

To those disagreeing with us gun advocates please advise me when you pull in next door. I will not offend you by protecting you and your family with my devilish guns!
Closed Thread