Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #155

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkauffman101
I am quite the tooter when I consume the "right" food.

Regardless of what some may think, the right to carry is a personal opinion. I carry for a different reason then some, but I have my reasons simple enough.

To those disagreeing with us gun advocates please advise me when you pull in next door. I will not offend you by protecting you and your family with my devilish guns!
As a Canadian who has only made one trip so far to the U S. I wouldn't mine if a American came over to equalise the situation.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #156
Moderator Emeritus

Hi all.

Your friendly neighborhood moderator checking in.

This thread has been allowed to run because it has remained unusually civil... for a gun discussion. Let's keep it that way please.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #157

Thank you Mr. Rick !!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #158

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post
And I didn't say kids shouldn't be trained...
I wasn't referring to your kids post.

I was terse due to time personal time constraints.

We're going down a caliber rabbit trail, but regarding caliber size, carry what you shoot well, however I'd recommend carrying the most effective round possible even if it means adjusting your clothing to conceal it. I do not recommend telling others a small caliber is an effective killer when statistically speaking it is not. Besides, it's not about the killing, it's about the staying alive.

Some people call it "knock down power" or the "one shot stop." I don't particularly agree with either delineation but the idea behind them is valid -- stop the fight immediately. For example, it's not uncommon in police shootings for the suspect to receive multiple fatal gunshots yet still return fire killing or maiming the officer before the suspect dies from his wounds. Don't 'win' the fight and end up bleeding to death laying beside the bad guy. Carry the most effective caliber you can.

If your familiar with the history of the 9mm you know it was designed to wound, not kill. Expanding bullets allow that caliber to be more effective. However, know that hollow points do not always expand. They can clog with clothing or flatten out when they pass through objects like car doors and windows. The .380 has the same diameter as the 9mm, just less velocity, and less weight (therefore less kinetic energy and less penetration).

Shot placement is king. But realize in a gun fight, the bad guy is not going to stand there and let you shoot him and you might should be on the move for cover as well. Landing a good center mass, fight-ending shot in a gunfight is comparable to landing a solid knock-out punch in a fist fight. How good of a shot are you? How good of a shot is the bad guy?

Ultimately we're talking about a fight for your life. Take every advantage you can including carrying the most effective caliber you are able to. If for some reason you can only carry a pocket gun -- well, that's a heck of a lot better than having no gun. I personally know a guy that probably saved himself from grievous bodily harm with one of those little belt buckle .22 revolvers. He'd say it now too -- he was glad to have it, but it shouldn't have been his first choice of carry.

If I offended, it was not my intent. Personally I don't care what you carry or even if you do carry. I do hate hate to see just about anyone become a victim though. In that vein, I hope all of you do what you can to not become victims of any type.

Now, where's the flower guy... Oh yeah...
Old 06-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #159

National RV Owners Club
Very well stated Retmotor. I agree. Carry what you can shoot effectively. I love my 44 and I'm very accurate with it, though it's not a carry weapon. My wife on the other hand, can't shoot it very accurately at all, even as much as she loves to fire it it. It's just got so much recoil. Now, her purse carry S&W Bodyguard 380 acp. She's dead accurate with that thing. I know the laser helps a bit, but it's a single action autoloader with a heavier than typical trigger, helped a little by me.

Armed or not being the original question. Yep! You betcha. How else can you enjoy an afternoon at the shooting range if you're not armed.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #160

Loves going to the range !!!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #161

Yep armed with a nice little Taurus Tracker in .44 mag. I can shoot it much better (accurate and faster) than my old Smith in .357. Plus it fits nicely in my concealed carry front fanny pack. The wife has the Judge loaded with various .410 loads on her side of the truck/trailer.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #162

National RV Owners Club
Love that little Taurus Judge. Hmmm did I say little?? Well I guess it's all in the shooters perception. Isn't there another one in the judge family. Forgot what it's called, raging judge, or raging bull, or something like that. Saw one in a gun shop. What a hunk of metal that thing is!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #163

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
Love that little Taurus Judge. Hmmm did I say little?? Well I guess it's all in the shooters perception. Isn't there another one in the judge family. Forgot what it's called, raging judge, or raging bull, or something like that. Saw one in a gun shop. What a hunk of metal that thing is!
I like the Judge Public Defender (I have one) had to leave it home as it's illegal in CA and we were headed there to friends house for a few days. Considered a short barreled shotgun by CA.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #164

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I like the Judge Public Defender (I have one) had to leave it home as it's illegal in CA and we were headed there to friends house for a few days. Considered a short barreled shotgun by CA.
Holly Mackerolli! A short barreled shotgun. Nothing against Californian's, but come on Cali Gov guys! It's only a 410.................
Old 06-12-2012, 05:04 AM   #165

Just so everyone knows, I haven't mentioned anything about myself personally and I've noticed that a few people here have been concerned about offending me. I'm a retired Master Chief Petty Officer from the USN. I was a Command Master Chief at my last two commands before I retired in '91. My hide is envied by rhinos. The greatest problem I have had in other forums is offending people myself. I don't usually talk about myself but just so you know, I'm a Patron Member of the National Rifle Association. For several years I participated 2700 matches. That's outdoor pistol competition where 270 rounds are fired from typically 3 different handguns although you can get by with 2 handguns. I'm also a charter member of the Ruger Collectors Club and own well over 100 old model Blackhawks which are stored at my bank. I suppose my greatest curse is being a life member of Mensa which makes me insufferably arrogant.

I think it's important to differentiate between law enforcement and personal defense weapons and situations. Cops are trying to stop desperadoes which is not something the average citizen would normally be involved in. It's important to note that predators are terrified of being disabled. This is true in the animal world as well as the human world. While a robber or kidnapper fleeing from the police is high on adrenalin, thus resistant to normal pain, a cold calculating mugger is very different. Often they are going to attack the weak or those they perceive to be weak. If their prey isn't weak then they will likely flee. The NRA's monthly magazine, the American Rifleman, has a column in every issue called the Armed Citizen. They take news reports from all over about how the mere presence of a firearm prevents crimes from happening.

I've already mentioned here about 2 incidents in my neighborhood where simply placing my hand in my pocket and continuing to walk directly at the possible miscreants prevented an incident. I've only had to display a pistol once in my life. It happened many years ago in Norfolk VA. I was there for a year while the USS Saratoga was in the shipyards. I was living in a rented mobile home in a trailer park. Next door was this NYC thug. His favorite activity was using his wife/girl friend for a punching bag. He strutted around like a rooster in the hen house. He also had a sidekick/henchman that accompanied him. Anyway, whenever he would start punching out his woman I would call the cops on him. I guess the first few times they didn't do much but then one night I saw a few cop cars over there and I guess they started getting serious with him. Of course it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who was making the calls on him. I was the only occupied mobile home close enough to his to hear what was happening.

At the time I had a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 special revolver as my house gun. Of course the inevitable confrontation had to occur. One afternoon I heard this tremendous boom, boom, boom on my front door. I looked out the window. It was the thug and his henchman. He had that "I'm gonna kick the crap out of somebody" look on his face. I grabbed the .44, stuck it down in my belt with the butt sticking out. I flung the door open and yelled at the maggot "what the hell do you want"? He looked me in the eyes, raised his hand towards me as if to grab my shirt when his eyes fell down on the butt of my pistol. Instantly he got all mellow, lowered his arm and said sorry I guess I made a mistake or some such nonsense. That's the only time I ever openly displayed a handgun and if I hadn't those two would have put me in the hospital or worse. I told the park owner about what was going on and he evicted him.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #166
Moderator Emeritus

Folks, This thread has strayed far away from any aspect of RVing and is strictly about weapons. Let me remind you of one of our Community Rules:

Quote:
General discussions of politics, general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of iRV2.
If it does not stay on an RV-related theme, we will have to close it down.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #167
edj

I don't feel any need to have any weapons in the RV... I don't stay overnight in 'bad' areas. I stay in campgrounds. A little common sense goes a long way for personal safety. I am more likely to get run over by a Motorhome while walking to the pool in the CG than attacked by some crazed person.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #168

Edj, I agree, I try to stay away from bad areas myself, generally feel safe in campgrounds also, however, I'm not always in the campground with my rv, getting fuel, food, shopping, taking in the sites etc. I'm not trying to talk anyone into buying a gun and carrying it in there rv, I'm only defending my position .
Closed Thread