Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #169

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post
...My hide is envied by rhinos...
I loved that line! For some probably perverse reason, it totally cracked me up.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I loved that line! For some probably perverse reason, it totally cracked me up.
Thank you LadyFitz. Few appreciate my sense of humor.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #171

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
I don't feel any need to have any weapons in the RV... I don't stay overnight in 'bad' areas. I stay in campgrounds. A little common sense goes a long way for personal safety. I am more likely to get run over by a Motorhome while walking to the pool in the CG than attacked by some crazed person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Edj, I agree, I try to stay away from bad areas myself, generally feel safe in campgrounds also, however, I'm not always in the campground with my rv, getting fuel, food, shopping, taking in the sites etc. I'm not trying to talk anyone into buying a gun and carrying it in there rv, I'm only defending my position .
If I have learned anything from my OP after reading all of these it is to: Stay away from seedy areas in the first place. Which ought to be a no brainer and: If I do feel threatened in any way, shape or form, not to be hesitant when it comes to defending our right to RV peacefully!
Thanks all for your input!
Horizonchase
Old 06-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #172

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
If I have learned anything from my OP after reading all of these it is to: Stay away from seedy areas in the first place. Which ought to be a no brainer and: If I do feel threatened in any way, shape or form, not to be hesitant when it comes to defending our right to RV peacefully!
Thanks all for your input!
Horizonchase
I'm glad that you found some value in the dialogue. I would further point out, however, that most of us probably don't deliberately go to the seedy areas. I know that we don't. I think it is a mistake to believe that problems cannot occur outside of rundown neighborhoods.

KPRC: Woman robbed at gunpoint outside Pearland Walmart | Ultimate Pearland

In our case, I was filling the RV with diesel at a Flying J in Mississippi. at 10:30am - broad daylight and it was a busy place. We frequent the State Parks in Texas and have noticed that the level of Ranger patrols is lower than it used to be, probably due to budget problems. With less of a deterrent, I'm more worried about camping security that I was.

RVs, to some of the criminal element, will always represent an affluent life style. Couple that with the appearance of being older aged rather than younger and the "attraction" goes up. We used to pull into rest areas without giving security much of a thought. But reading some of the books has taught me that there are two types of people that are paying attention - those that are looking to prey on others and those who are actively trying not to be prey. Even when walking the dogs during rest stop breaks, I'm always scanning. Some of the people that I see watching me make me glad that I'm playing attention. Removing the element of surprise can go a long way toward preventing trouble.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
I'm glad that you found some value in the dialogue. I would further point out, however, that most of us probably don't deliberately go to the seedy areas. I know that we don't. I think it is a mistake to believe that problems cannot occur outside of rundown neighborhoods.

KPRC: Woman robbed at gunpoint outside Pearland Walmart | Ultimate Pearland

In our case, I was filling the RV with diesel at a Flying J in Mississippi. at 10:30am - broad daylight and it was a busy place. We frequent the State Parks in Texas and have noticed that the level of Ranger patrols is lower than it used to be, probably due to budget problems. With less of a deterrent, I'm more worried about camping security that I was.

RVs, to some of the criminal element, will always represent an affluent life style. Couple that with the appearance of being older aged rather than younger and the "attraction" goes up. We used to pull into rest areas without giving security much of a thought. But reading some of the books has taught me that there are two types of people that are paying attention - those that are looking to prey on others and those who are actively trying not to be prey. Even when walking the dogs during rest stop breaks, I'm always scanning. Some of the people that I see watching me make me glad that I'm playing attention. Removing the element of surprise can go a long way toward preventing trouble.
Eyeballing you is step one to an attack. When that happens to me I slip my hand into my pocket, wrap my fingers around my pocket pistol and continue striding with a purpose in mind. Every time, thus far anyhow, this procedure has worked. Also, I give them a look too just so they know I'm aware of them. BTW, step two is usually getting into your space or getting close enough to you to grab you or wave a knife in your face.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #174

Winnebago Owners Club
chasfm11, well said.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #175

Heartland RV Club

Yes
Old 06-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #176

You're a true Floridian Tallyrver.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #177

Tally won't you be my neighbor ?
Old 06-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #178

Newmar Owners Club
Tallyrver, I have something that looks like that in my sticks and bricks........
Old 06-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #179

Winnebago Owners Club
Tally, where's the reloading bench go?
Old 06-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #180

Heartland RV Club
That's setup in the garage
Old 06-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #181

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyrver View Post

Yes
My favorite fun answer to the actual thread question is "except when I'm in the shower, but I have given consideration to using zip lock type bags".

Nice! That was one of the drawback to downsizing to a smaller Class A. Due to the loss of storage capacity from a 37 to a 27 footer I had to cut down to one metal "7.62 mm" metal military ammo box (10x7x3.5 in) for each of the two to three calibers I carry in addition to the two boxes that I take with me to store the extra magazines and my cleaning kit.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #182

Just picked up the pepper spray gun & looking into BB guns.
Closed Thread