Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #295

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget63 View Post
.... I am not sure I would have been able to pull off that shot under duress and throughout my law enforcement career I was considered a pistol expert shot.
With due respect, very few could make that kind of shot, but if carrying, at least there's a chance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #296

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayjulia View Post
Still I don't want to be involved in any act that would bring me into a legal wrangle with a firearm, it just isn't worth it. Even if your innocent as can be YOU aren't going anywhere until the Justice System says you can!!! You may have to post bond and the court can say you can't leave the county or the state! The court system moves slowly, very slowly you could be stuck there at your expense for months even a year or more until the case is resolved. Can you afford that ? And while your involved in this court case other things in your life are effected some with serious consequences and even after it is resolved it never, ever leaves you!!
I've seen what can happen and it at pretty.
I didn't want to be involved in any act either, but two spanish speaking gentlemen in Wyoming decided I looked like a victim. Had to show that I wasn't. Had I not been armed, who knows? Cell phone wouldn't work in that location and even if it had police were many, many minutes away, probably close to 60.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #297

At least someone could have tried. I bet if he knew he might take fire back, might have thought twice. Someone should have done everybody a favor and put him down like a rabid dog he is.

Shoot him in the knee and he's down for the night.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayjulia View Post
I have a motorhome I can drive off if I have to and I have several sprays for self defense to give me time to get away. I try to stay situationally aware and when in doubt I move out! I always keep the vehicle ready to roll and if I take a pedestal out in my haste I'll pay for it later.
What about when you're broken down on the side of the road? You're kind of a sitting duck. That was a major concern for us.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #299

Kat, that's what happened to a former boss of mine. You do t even want to know the details. It's bad.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #300

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Heck yes
Old 07-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget63 View Post
The problem with that logic is to expect an armed civilian to pull off a head shot under extreme stress is next to impossible...
First, it has been my firearms experience to never pre-judge just how much firearms training someone may have. The true enthusiast loves education, and in many instances may have MORE formal training than an LEO or even military.

Second, head shot? Center mass, baby. Big holes, lots of em, center mass.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #302

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdubya View Post
First, it has been my firearms experience to never pre-judge just how much firearms training someone may have. The true enthusiast loves education, and in many instances may have MORE formal training than an LEO or even military.

Second, head shot? Center mass, baby. Big holes, lots of em, center mass.

+1

Many people think body armor is a force field. Head shot is not necessary to end the attack. A .45 ACP or two will break ribs or sternum through a flak vest and absolutely put that skinny psycho on his butt. My opinion is a well armed, trained, and practiced good guy in that theater would have saved a bunch of lives.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #303

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Of all the things that I worry about while we are in our RV, a so called "active shooter" (one who has decided just to shoot people for some demented reason) is one of my lowest level concerns. My major concern is that we somehow look like a "rich" target (because of the MH) and vulnerable target (because of our ages).

Dealing with a potentially deadly situation has several options as brought out in this City of Houston video which considers a active shooter event.

Make the Call: Regional Terrorism Prevention

For #3, I'd prefer not to have to improvise some sort of a weapon. There is no perfect solution to many of the threats that we RVers might face but the more options that I have, the better I feel. There is definitely no guarantee of success and certainly no guarantee of not facing the legal system if I do manage to stop the threat. I accept that level of risk.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #304

17 in in the clip
Old 07-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
+1

Many people think body armor is a force field. Head shot is not necessary to end the attack. A .45 ACP or two will break ribs or sternum through a flak vest and absolutely put that skinny psycho on his butt. My opinion is a well armed, trained, and practiced good guy in that theater would have saved a bunch of lives.
In every day situations, simply brandishing a weapon would probably be enough, and if not, racking the action of a remy or mossberg will certainly do the trick for 99% of moron thugs. However, if you pull it, you better have the training to use it, don't think that bravado alone will save you. It might, but I don't wanna gamble with my life and the lives of those I love.

When I camp, I generally have a sidearm (9mm or .40, depending on where. If it's bear territory, the bigger the better), I have a .308 rifle and a .223 variant. In the new trailer, I plan on physically mounting a mossberg within easy reach, with a progressive load.

To each his or her own. If you're not comfortable with it, don't. If you are overly concerned with the so-called "justice" system, don't. But I am trained, and comfortable, and the individual who attempts to victimize my family will regret it. To everyone else, peace be upon them.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #306

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
17 in in the clip
Very few weapons now days have a "clip", they have "magazines".
Properly called a "stripper clip" they just hold the shells by the groove around the head, and were used in the M1 Garand in WWII and many others.
A magazine encloses the ammo in a three sided box and usually feeds from the top. An FN 5.7 is an exception as it feeds from the bottom side
Old 07-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #307

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Also, remember that there are different types of "body armor". Originally designed to stop flak in Viet Nam they have evolved into "stronger" versions that will stop small arms fire like handguns BUT the wearer still feels the effects of the force exerted by the round it's stopping. A couple rounds of .45 from close up will definitely be felt but won't be fatal to the wearer.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:26 AM   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdubya View Post
In every day situations, simply brandishing a weapon would probably be enough, and if not, racking the action of a remy or mossberg will certainly do the trick for 99% of moron thugs. However, if you pull it, you better have the training to use it, don't think that bravado alone will save you. It might, but I don't wanna gamble with my life and the lives of those I love.
That sounds good however in Florida any threatening action with a firearm will likely get you 3 years mandatory sentence. Florida is somewhat strict on some things. Threatening someone with a gun or a weapon display requires a mandatory 3 years. I've lived here for well over 30 years. As near as I can make out, you're better off keeping your pistol in your pocket. Then when you feel seriously threatened or you are attacked, shoot to kill. That seems to work out for the best unless political correctness gets involved.
Closed Thread