Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #1

Arrow tv antenna

We are on our first trip in the new HR and tried the tv reception with the new Arrow antenna. There was a factory sticker covering the ports where the signal strength lights are. When I removed the sticker guess what, no lights. Am I missing something?
cdrprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #2

New Horizons Owners Club
Are you sure you have an "arrow" antenna? That is a name usually used by HAM radio operators and are fixed mounted on a pole or via some ingenious rigging made portable by the use of a tripod.

If you bought a Holiday Rambler with stock accessories you more than likely have what is known as a batwing antenna. It collapses flat when you're moving and you raise it by hand cranking or electric motor from inside the coach when parked. There should also be a way to rotate the antenna to optimize signal strength. Again either manually or by electric motor.

Most batwing installations are built by Winegaurd and it is common for them to bring the coax down to a junction box, usually in the entertainment center area. This box does several things, it is a splitter (sending the signal to the TV in the Ent Center and the bedroom TV), it is an amplifier, it is a signal switch (when you hook up to cable at the campgroun it comes through here and shares circuitry with the antenna), and in your case it may also have a signal strength read-out.

This little junction box is also powered. The power switch is usually on the wall plate of the junction box and is sticking out, not much bigger than #2 pencil lead. Although one rig I had, the power switch was seperate and behind a different cabinet door than where the junction box was.

I suspect that since you are seeing no indication of signal strength, then you are probably not getting power to the indicator. See if you can find the switch. You may have to call the guys at HR if they have gotten too clever about how they wired it up.
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #3

Oops....I think maybe it's called The Jack? It's shaped like a pointing arrow and doesn't go up and down, just rotates. I have a feeling it's a cheaper version and has an external amplifier in the cabinet where the A/V hookups are located. Has a place for the led's and the fine tuning button but these are just empty holes right now. Gets a pretty good picture here in Pahrump anyway. Thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The Arrow... Jack antenna has to be turned on in two places. The first is a very small black sliding switch on the side of the housing with the directional wheel. The second is normally a push button switch with a small green light beside the actual coax connector on one of the wall jacks. You can get more information on the antenna here: Digital Over-the-Air HDTV Antenna.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I have re-examined the antenna. No switches or leds's on the ceiling mounted directional switch housing. Inside the cabinet up front is a connection for a satellite dish (no dish on my HR). Where the roof antenna is connected currently to a panel there is a single power switch, and a green led when on. I guess I have an economy version in my HR but it's not even listed on the antenna website. Anyway I guess I will just have to turn the antenna the old fashioned way to get the best picture. Funny how you miss stuff like this on the walk-thru.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:55 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm a little confused (not odd!). First you mentioned the sticker covering the signal strength light, then you mentioned no LEDs on the ceiling mounted directional switch housing. I think you're referring to a power on LED because it also appears that you have found the wall plate mounted power on switch. Either way, the switch on the side of the housing is very easy to miss. If you didn't already see the installation instructions, a picture of the housing with the switch can be seen in the lower right corner of page 1 here: http://www.kingcontrols.com/userfile...2011-11-10.pdf
Old 02-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #7

Welcome to my constant state of confusion! It's the standard looking Jack arrow-shaped antenna. It's not a conversion. The unit on the roof sits on a matching colored mast about 10" high. I'm familiar with the batwings of years past, had many and sometimes would forget to fold them down before leaving (ouch $$$). I was happy to see this "new" style on my 2013 coach and assumed it was the standard Jack with signal lock circuitry built in (yep....never assume=duh). This is a row of led's on the roof connection where the more led's you get to light up, the stonger the signal. Then there is suppoed to be a small knob you can turn to further boost weak signals. And the small on/off switch on the side you mentioned. The holes for the leds and boost were initially covered by a white vinyl tape. I removed the tape and saw only empty holes. Looks like I'm missing the whole signal lock circuitry! Been in contact with King to see what can be done to upgrade. Ah, retirement sure is boring....not!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #8

Happy to report King stepped up to the plate on this one. I sent pictures at their request and they determined I was missing a key component. They are sending the parts to me for free. Now that's a company that stands behind their product! Thanks for all the feedback on this issue.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
For you and King!!!

Tags
antenna