Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Artic switch

Just recently purchased a 2007 Lexington 255. Need to know what the artic switch does. Also a wiring diagram would be nice

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk05
Just recently purchased a 2007 Lexington 255. Need to know what the artic switch does. Also a wiring diagram would be nice
Switch is for heated tanks and possible heated outlets for colder climate camping.

You will not find any wiring diagrams sorry.

Welcome to the forum !

Turbs

f1100turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #3

I have one of those on our Georgetown. What a stupid system design. Documentation from the manufacturer was included in what we got from the original owner when we bought the rig.

There are 12Volt DC resistance heating pads bonded to the undersides of the grey and black waste tanks. I think my rig has two pads on each tank. These pads have built-in thermostats that are non-adjustable.

I expected the system to be similar the the "frost-stats" and heating tape used on vulnerable water lines in S&B houses. They turn on at about 34F and off again at about 38F. Not so for the "Arctic Pack". They turn the heat on at 40F and don't turn it off again until the tank contents reach 60F. Who needs to heat up the poop in the black tank to 60 degrees?

Also, there's no mention of anything that senses whether there's content in the tanks. I was concerned that these heaters could get the polythene skin of the tanks hot enought to melt through.

I disconnected the system so there's no risk of problems. Note that we live in an area where long-term cold weather is rare and "bitterly cold" usually means mid-twenties!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the info. We live in a warm area. Near albuquerque so will probably never use it.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
I have one of those on our Georgetown. What a stupid system design. Documentation from the manufacturer was included in what we got from the original owner when we bought the rig.

There are 12Volt DC resistance heating pads bonded to the undersides of the grey and black waste tanks. I think my rig has two pads on each tank. These pads have built-in thermostats that are non-adjustable.

I expected the system to be similar the the "frost-stats" and heating tape used on vulnerable water lines in S&B houses. They turn on at about 34F and off again at about 38F. Not so for the "Arctic Pack". They turn the heat on at 40F and don't turn it off again until the tank contents reach 60F. Who needs to heat up the poop in the black tank to 60 degrees?

Also, there's no mention of anything that senses whether there's content in the tanks. I was concerned that these heaters could get the polythene skin of the tanks hot enought to melt through.

I disconnected the system so there's no risk of problems. Note that we live in an area where long-term cold weather is rare and "bitterly cold" usually means mid-twenties!
I also had them on a Georgetown. In the "manual" (I think it was a xeroxed page of instructions) it said not to turn the Arctic Pac on without liquid in the tanks.

I will say, though, that it gave me some peace of mind during short periods where my coach was not winterized, but the weather turned cold.