Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #1

Asphalt Parking Area Breaking Up

Every winter I move my fiver to the back yard to get it out of the way of the plow truck. During the summer it is parked on the asphalt paved turn around and parking area outside my garage. I admit that I've not sealed the area in the 15 years I've lived here and grass is growing in the cracks.
The problem is the melting winter snows saturate the ground around and under the asphalt and it has become bouncy and is now breaking up.
I wonder what the best and/or most economical solution would be. Should I just have a paving company tear it up and replace it, or have it torn up and replaced with gravel? The problem with gravel is the plowing will probably displace it.
Can it be paved over using the old asphalt as a base or should the soggy ground issue be addressed with a bedding of some kind?
Thanks for any educated info as I want to know something about it before estimates.

SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Depends on why it is breaking up. 15 years isn't an unreasonable lifetime for a driveway - they typically don't have as good a base as a highway, for example. If you have washout underneath, though, you need to improve the drainage somewhat. That can get expensive, since it's work and materials above and beyond the asphalt.

If the weight of the coach is causing the break-up, you need a firmer base and thicker asphalt, Again, more $$

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:16 AM   #3

Difficult from a distance but grass growing in cracks can destroy things.

Take a trip to tractor supply and get the roundup in 2.5 gallon suze and take care of the weeds.

Do cracks and edges.

The roots actually carse the cracks to grow.

We need to redo the edge of the road today thanks for posting.

Your best option is to call a FEW contractors out and get some bids to correct the work.

Have each give you low cost "patch what you have" to reasonable option as well as best option.

That should give you a handful of ideas to review.

Next visit the building department and let them review the quotes as they can help you toss those that are not suitable based on their knowledge.

Now you have a good set of plans and costs.

You now can decide how to procede.

Your location and weather cycle makes these types of things difficult from distance.

We wished we would have seeked additional input when building our shop but instead built to plan.

Plan only listin minimal rebar in slab and result was not optimum.

We wished we would have added a bunch now but it is 55 cu yards too late...

Do your homework before you spend a dime on rework but get the weeds killed today.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
...... During the summer it is parked on the asphalt paved turn around and parking area outside my garage. .......

2015 F350 XLT PSD CCSB SRW, 5th wheel prep
'12 Cougar High Country 299RKS, .......
That's a fair bit of weight to put on a 15 y/o north country driveway that may well have been laid down to pretty minimal standards to begin with.

IMO, if it's already breaking up and mushy beneath, it's shot. In any pavement the base prep is the key. The pavement you can see is just a coat of paint; whether or not it sticks depends on what's underneath. You've lost your base. Assuming you're going to take action this summer, forget the weeds (cut or kill them if it really looks bad) and concentrate on the plan. Question: is the breakup occurring only where you park the rig, or over the total driveway? I would think that at least in the area where you park the truck and fiver everything has to come out and put in a good thick compacted base, with binder and topcoat above.

Good Luck!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:47 PM   #5

As previously stated, asphalt is only as good as its base. Surface coating over the existing cracked asphalt will not work. Remove the existing, confirm the gravel base is thick enough, and properly compacted, then install at least 2 1/2" compacted thickness of new asphalt.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Base is saturated, the asphalt is breaking up.
Time to dig it all out and put in a good base. Can't be saved at this point.
30 years of highway design although pavement wasn't my specialty. Drainage was.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I am in Fla, so, I know nothing about your Ice Issues.

But, I would put a fiber blade on my skill saw-cut away a square or rectangular area under each wheel(s) where the coach is settling. Put some re-bar in there and fill it with concrete that you can buy at Home Depot. Do all 4 , one at a time-and you will have a 4 corner pad to park your coach on.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:57 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
I am in Fla, so, I know nothing about your Ice Issues.

But, I would put a fiber blade on my skill saw-cut away a square or rectangular area under each wheel(s) where the coach is settling. Put some re-bar in there and fill it with concrete that you can buy at Home Depot. Do all 4 , one at a time-and you will have a 4 corner pad to park your coach on.
The four corner 6" deep concrete with lots of rebar is what I have in my RV port. Over 12 years and still like new. My pads are 2'x3' front and 3'x3' rear.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #9

The breakup is mostly where the fiver RV and truck park. The strengthened parking pads sound like a good plan, but it is pretty much mush now with ruts in the asphalt leading to the RV tires. I have a limited number of pavers to choose from, but I guess I should at least get the number one paver out here for discussion. I do think it would be in better shape if not for the weight of the fiver.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:40 PM   #10

Drainage is as important as a good base and thickness of the asphalt.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:51 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Drainage is definitely important, as pointed out above. Our asphalt crumbled due to water seeping under it, causing one jack on our 2012 Discovery to sink through the asphalt and into the hole below the asphalt caused by water flow. As a result, we ended up replacing the asphalt with concrete. In overkill fashion, we placed 18 inches of concrete/rebar where the jacks rest. No problem except - gulp - paying for it all! Well worth it in the long run.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:30 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like time to save yourself some headaches, without seeing it I'd opt for replacement.

Can you post pictures of it?

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote