Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #15

We are already at $5 here in Canada ,so I would say if it doubles I might slow down.
and I get 9mpg.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
I have a 1997 36' Dolphin M.H. and we bought it new in 1997 we live in Northern Ca. and we have travel around the Country a couple of times, the first time we were gone for 6 months and the second time it was for 3 months.
We go down to Palm Springs once a year for 6 weeks.
I get 7miles to the gallon of gas going down hill with the wind in back.
We do not have a lot of money and we are retired and when I get to old to drive my wife will drive. we take turns driving, (I have her drive in the heavy traffic.) she drive better then I.
We belong to three R.V. clubs and we are always going someplace at least once a month.
Life is to short to waste it, keep R.V. ing.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #17

I think it is a matter pf perspective. When you look at the total cost for a trip, an extra $1-2 per gallon is s till a small fraction of the total cost.

I guess that means I am going to make a trip to where I want and enjoy the time, and any extra incremental cost will be made up somewhere else.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #18

At what $/gallon would it slow you down?

Well maybe. Let's say it's $2 more. You have a gas class a with a 100 gallon tank. So it goes from $350 to fill it up to $550.

Let's also say you plan to go to the beach for a long weekend. It's one tank down and one tank back. So your cost for fuel only went from $750 to $1100. Is that just a few bucks? What would you cut out of a weekend that would save $350? $750 plus campground fees is already a lot of money for a three day weekend!

Maybe on a long trip the math works out better, but not short ones. I doubt eliminating restaurant meals and souvenir shopping would even it out.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:27 PM   #19

Price of fuel has already had a 'slowing down' effect on our travels, and I believe it has also had a similar effect an many travelers, both in all types of RV's and general automobile traffic.
I believe as the price escalates even further, if it does, it will further dampen the driving habits of the American people.
CarlGeo
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #20

In 08 when I purchased our rev. it was $5.00 a gallon. When you talk about fuel prices your only talking about the difference between now and whatever it goes to. So would $100,$200,$300 more make me stay at home when it's costing me a lot more a month just to sit there.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I limit my trips now to within 200 miles of home one weekend a month. If gas went to $10.00 a gallon I would rent out my RV as an apartment.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
At what $/gallon would it slow you down?

The vast majority of our trips are within 150 miles round trip -I guess even at $10/gallon we would still take them.

The past several years are ample evidence that there is motivation at higher levels to allow fuel to be more expensive as a % of income than in the past. While I am not happy about and it's impact on lower income and small businesses has been especially felt, it has resulted in continued jumps in fuel economy for the newest passenger vehicles and some creativity in achieving it.

The flip side of these changes is that motorhomes will see some jumps in fuel economy which are long overdue. For a very long time, gas rigs have been stuck in the 8-11 MPG range. The 2001 Class C I had got the same MPG as 99% of '14 models. The new Dodge chassis is a change for the better MPG wise and I expect there will be 3-4 MPG gains with the new Ford transit as well.

We've been here before. I owned a '91 Winnebago on the Toyota Chassis. Power was adequate from the V6 and 13-14 MPG was common. It was enjoyable to drive, but forget towing anything. Years prior got up to 17 MPG but were underpowered with the 4 cyl. These rigs still have a strong following. Fuel prices pressed for these rigs to exist.

RVs seem ripe for hybrid technology, especially class A rigs. Imagine the dynamic braking / regeneration going down hill pulling a dinghy! We have buses in our area that already are hybrid. RV manufacturers and their chassis manufacturers are long overdue to step up to the plate. The technology is already in widespread use. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_electric_bus
Old 07-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
When it blows the budget. Which we increase every year slightly. Maybe at $10 a gallon.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
When fuel gets to $10 + per gallon, where we will go in our RV will probably be the least of our problems.
The overall economy will be in dire straits. Most increases we can adapt to, we already have. Gas up until 1990 was under $1/gal, in the next 10 years it only increased to $1.10. From 2000 to now is has gone to $4 and in some places higher. Look at the increased cost of food, houses, utilities, RV's and even insurance since then.
But- until then- I don't see a great impact on our travels.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #25

We paid $12.50 per US gallon in the middle of the Canning Stock Route in Australia. That leg was about 1500 miles and that price wasn't a deal breaker.

We full-time and rent out the house so when you look at all the costs associated with living in a normal house - rates and taxes, utility costs and normal maintenance and depreciation which are all zero for us since it is all factored into the rent - the costs of fuel really aren't much of a consideration even though we travel continuously. If we spent the whole winter down in the deserts and the summers up north sitting in one place, fuel costs would not even count.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #26

$5.30 USD per US gal, just finished B.C. to Ontario, approx. 5000 miles. I feel $15 USD per US gal would do it for me.
NorthernDriv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:30 AM   #27

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Not just a B-van question.

I've been looking thru videos on RV's overseas. Of course they are much smaller due to fuel costs, road conditions and land values, among other reasons, I'm sure. It's kinda amazing what is considered an adequate family RV in Japan!

But it begs the question. At what price for fuel would you curtail your travels, or maybe be more efficient about it, or even further, downsize your RV or stop altogether?

Since my B is pretty efficient, I'd say it would have to be $7 or $8 a gallon before I'd cut back in a significant way. To hang it up altogether, I don't really know - maybe $10-$12. What say you?
when you cant afford to move as often
hartb1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:56 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by coventryhale View Post
4.27$ per gal for diesel here in CT, I don't fill up anymore until I leave the state.

Me to
Vsilvester is offline   Reply With Quote