Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-22-2014, 03:19 AM   #29
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have cut way back already. I'm glad we at least got to see what we did when I was working. I'm sure we'll take another long trip but that won't be for a while. Just stashing some money away now to build up for fuel costs for that endeavor.

Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 05:19 AM   #30
Interesting question. We just traveled from central Virginia to central Oklahoma. Gas prices were all over the board. Anywhere from $3.13 to $3.60 and I kept my speed at 60 with cruise control set when I could. Did mountain driving without cruise control but did hold constant speeds and not let Motorhome shift down to 3rd if I really didn't need too. The one thing I noticed on this trip was I was being passed by every type RV out there. Guess slowing down and getting 7 miles to the gallon average is ok for me, but may be to slow for fellow travelers.

Tom and Gloria
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35A, TOAD: 2015 GMC Canyon, Blue Ox Towbar, Baseplate and SMI Stay N Play
TomandGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:05 AM   #31
I've found that if the terrain is getting hilly, that I can get much better mpg without the cruise control. Slowing down certainly can get you better economy, but most cruise control is dumb - it doesn't let you gather speed going down hill to carry you up the next - it simply guns the engine going up the hill. So try it without and you'll see what I mean.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:13 AM   #32
One thing to consider $10 a gallon has been used a few times. If it went to $10 you want have to worry about traveling, it would be worse than the depression of 09.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:12 AM   #33
I have never considered a ceiling price on fuel. What is the value of sitting at home and growing old doing nothing versus traveling and seeing this great country we all live in? As my DW says it is priceless staying in your own bed and packing the trailer up and not have to worry as to what clothes she can take and not take when traveling.

We rent a house ever year in South Haven MI, for one week with the kids and grand kids so we can all vacation together and enjoy the sandy beach on Lake Michigan. This cost us more than our entire traveling budget for pulling the 5er each year to such places as Yellowstone and points further. So fuel prices will not stop us from traveling.I pulled out west in 2008 to South Dakota when fuel was running around $4.75 a gallon and this did not stop us than and would not today either.

Life is short and you can’t take it with you so enjoy as much as you can and don’t worry about the little things since you can’t do anything about it.

Jim W.
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:35 AM   #34
Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA FMCA 335149 W3TLN
2005 Suncruiser 38R W24, no chassis mods needed 2013 Honda Accord EX-L 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are on our first long post-retirement trip to the West and our average fuel price has been $3.80 per gallon. Like many others, our game plan if fuel costs get to be a real concern would be to travel not as far and stay in one place longer. We hope to discover 'favorite places' that we will want to revisit and stay longer on future excursions.

We are tracking our expenses to help develop future travel budgets. We are finding we spend more on food (eating out plus groceries/provisions) and RV parks that we do on fuel. That suggests to me we have wiggle room in the non-fuel expenses if necessary.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #36

Perspective: our average move is about once a month, about 200 miles and costs about 100 bucks.
So, we move everything we own for that 100 bucks. If it goes to 200, we can still do it.
We spend as much each month touring with our 20mpg Wrangler as we do moving with our 8mpg MH.
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #37
Tiffin Owners Club
For me this question has too many variables. If I currently spend 5% of my income on fuel for the beast, then regardless of the price of that fuel if it stays at 5% I'm not sure that it would cause me to make a change. Granted this assumes my income has the ability to increases/decreases with the price of fuel. If fuel costs move from that 5% to 10% of my income, then that would be a different set of circumstances and other decisions would have to be considered. I hope I have planned our future well enough that the price of fuel will not be a determining factor as to our travel activities. As we all know, no one has the ability to predict the future. Who in 2008 would have predicted the price of fuel would drop by 50% in the coming years.
Bill Mahan
2012 Allegro Bus 43 QGP
Oldrtrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #38
$4/gallon has just about shut us down, particularly in conjuction with $40/night CG fees. We'll have the MH on the market in September. We'll be using it in the driveway as supplmentary bedroom accommodations while we have family in town for our 50th wedding anniversary celebrations. After that, maybe we'll take a couple of short trips to get over that big "bash" before putting it up for sale.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #39
No way are we going to stop traveling ! As others have said when we get to our destination we will spend more time in the area. WE both have worked to long and hard to get to this point where we can travel and see this country .Because when the day comes we can no longer travel We both don't want any regrets on what we have missed or should have done. We will have our memories.
2011 Georgtown .2010 wrangler towed. Anita ,Jim and the fur kid Benji. 2014
Benji2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #40
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
To answer the OP's question, nothing. If I want to go, I'm going. I don't want to be on my last legs and think I did not go somewhere or do something because the gas was a bit pricey.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #41
$2.50 per gallon.

My travel trailer's not been out on the road since 1997, and we commute 300 miles to it in the North GA mountains by econo car.

We have friends with RV's locally. With a major river downtown and 3 lakes within 16 miles, we have many places to camp. We have a city owned RV park downtown, and TVA campgrounds 2 miles away. We also have four state parks and a great Corp. of Engineers campground within an hour.

I have a friend with a motorhome that buys one tank of gasoline per year. To him, fuel prices is just not an issue. Not everyone has to go anywhere to enjoy this hobby or lifestyle.

Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote