Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2015, 08:08 AM   #15

Do it till ya can't .....
for me ... we'll go till we can't drive it any more ... then park it .... but will live in it till my time's up !!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 08:14 AM   #16
doc

Appalachian Campers
MsC is getting slowly worse from the Multiple Sclerosis and I expect one day we will have to give it up. She finds it harder and harder to get around in the MH and do the normal things a healthy person does. She still loves the camping/traveling/sightseeing aspects of what we do. The Black Hills hold a special attraction for her as well as the bigger mountains of southern Colorado. As long as I am able to care for her and put her in and out of the towed we will continue. I can care for her right now but we will have to see what the future brings in the next couple of years.
She still wants to see Alaska but it may have to be by ferry and rental RV for a couple of week.
Mr D our thoughts and prayers are with you and the Mrs
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:32 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wong View Post
Seven - Eight years ago, I had mobility problem. I had balancing problem and lower Lumbar problem. three major surgery followed. At first I was able to Limp without a Cane, two years later - with a cane. Then, I move around with two wheel walker, then, last years I needed a four wheel walker. Currently, from time to time, I get this twinge / tingling on my knee, Good thing I had a stroller or I would've fall. Other than mobility problem - I am healthy. I can see motorized scooter in the near future.

My question is; At what point do I/we call it quit Rving? at what point should I/we stay home? Hang it up ? waiting for the clock to run out.

Dan, nobody but you can answer that question. I guess we will quit when they throw the last shovel of dirt in my face!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For me, waking up away from the city with mother nature at my doorsteps is what fuels my soul. If the time comes that I'm limited from a mobility perspective, I'd still have my RV somewhere and possibly have it outfitted for special access. I think it would be more of a semi full-time location, but in a beautiful location that was easy to get around. If I needed to move (e.g. snow bird) and I couldn't drive, then I'd just hire someone to move me to my summer and winter locations.
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:00 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John How View Post
Barring the medical need for full time care, I guess keep going till it is no longer fun.
Best answer!
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:08 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On the humorus side...

When I saw this on another thread, my immediate thought for the ad campaign would be:

"Just because Grandpa died, it doesn't mean he can't still go camping with the family!"

ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #21

I quit driving on my own. I made the decision not to drive anymore long before I couldn't pass the vision test for my drivers license. My sister drives the motorhome now. I was unable to take my previous MH out due to the DW health issues. That MH sat as an very expensive yard ornament for over 5 years, before she passed. I made the decision, because I knew that it was not safe for wife and I, plus others on the road. And by that time I was only driving on the side streets in town. Small town. I would not drive on a busy street. Its not an easy decieion to make. So much independence is given up when a person does not drive. But I have been very lucky. So many of my friends have step forward to take me where I have to go. I am still able to get out and have a very good time. And now that the sister has FALLEN IN LOVE with the rv lifestyle
I am getting to spend a lot of time on the road. When I was told many years ago that I had Macular Degeneration, that the day would probably come that I would have to stop driving. On a regular basis, I would take a hard look at my driving ability, to make sure I DIDN'T DRIVE ONE TO MANY DAYS. And as time wnt by I kept liniting my driving distance and places I would go. To keep as safe as possible. But the day came, and I think that since I had prepared myself for the day. It was an easy decision for me to make. Yes, I would truly love to drive my rig. But that will never happen. But I am making the best of it.
As stated SAFETY for you and your wife and the others on the road should probably be on the top of the list. My son told me he was sorry I had to quit driving. But Dad, You don't want to be the lead story on your local news.
Also only you can make the decision. Be hones with yourself when thinking about what to do. And you will make the right decision. Good Luck, God Bless.
Life is a trip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I'd buy the fun argument. It seems to me that as long as one can manage and is enjoying an activity they should continue to do it.

In many ways a MH is an enabler for folks with a mobility problem because distances to the necessary conveniences are shorter than in a house. Off hand I'd guess that as long as one can stand up and manage a few steps they can handle living in a MH. Once one gets to a Hoyer lift and wheel chair state it will be pretty obvious that they do not fit. In the mean time enjoy life as much as is possible. I think the rest of the issues can be managed but if they cannot it will cease being fun.

Disagree!! I am in a wheelchair full time. It takes a hoyer lift to transfer from chair to bed to commode to co-pilots chair to recliner, etc. you get the picture.

The last two motorhomes We've owned are/were fully accessible for wheelchair users. Our current coach is a 2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, specifically designed & manufactured for accessibility by and at Newmar. We love it! Without it, I (We) couldn't take overnight trips. We're leaving on Monday for the FMCA rally in Madison WI, a loooong way from Gulf Coast of AL! Some if our best times and friends are a result of our motorhoming adventures.

BTW, i'm 74 and my Very DW is 67 and does ALL of the driving and setting up/breaking up in campgrounds.

When she decides to hang it up, we'll quit. Until then, we'll continue to go! 🚌 👫

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We decided to full time until we got too old, too sick or too bored.
After 11 years, a little of all three things caused us to buy a house, snowbird one year then put the motor home up for sale this year.

Still miss it some when various friends post where they are and what they are doing.
Wouldn't trade those 12 years for anything.

Tags
rving