Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
RedneckExpress's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sauvie Island, OR
Posts: 2,353
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Good Deterrent, don't store it at a storage facility. Its not a question of IF it will get broken into, only a question of WHEN and HOW OFTEN.

Even leaving it open and removing all valuables will not help as the thieves will just steal the appliances and copper gas lines.
__________________

__________________
'92 Dodge W250 "Dually" Power Wagon
'74
KIT 1106 Kamper Slide-in Truck Camper
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #16
Member
 
richvkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
If you leave the RV unlocked, you probably wouldn't be able to collect on the insurance. Most insurance policies require proof of forced entry before they will pay.
Locked or unlocked has no bearing on the loss. Theft is theft. To paraphrase a burglary statute which is similar to most, (entry or remaining within any building, manufactured home, mobile home, tent or other structure which is a dwelling,, ......with the intent to commit a felony, theft, .......). Kansas (KSA 21-3715)

Remember the term "B&E" --Breaking and Entering--? That is burglary and "breaking" doesn't mean busting down a door or even smashing a window. For example: there is a party going on at a house. Those attending have placed their coats and purses on a bed down the hall from the main event. Someone approaches the house, is able to raise the window and reaches in with a pole and removes several purses, coats, furs, etc while remaining outside the house. Burglary? Yes. Where the window physically exists is the plane of the residence. Raising the window does not remove the plane and when he/she extended the pole into the room, it "broke the plane" which effected the "entry". Removing the property of the others demonstrated the intent.

Your statement of "most insurance policies require proof of forced entry before they will pay" made me pull out my insurance contract and I found no such language. If your policy has that language, I would suggest you might look for other coverage.
__________________

__________________
2003 Mountain Aire, W/22, 09 Saturn Aura
Kansas
richvkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
 
SarahW's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a lawnchair
Posts: 11,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Good Deterrent, don't store it at a storage facility. Its not a question of IF it will get broken into, only a question of WHEN and HOW OFTEN.

Even leaving it open and removing all valuables will not help as the thieves will just steal the appliances and copper gas lines.
Not very helpful to those of us who have no choice in the matter. If we want to own an RV, we have to rent a storage space.
__________________
.2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:25 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 1,833
Curious. I provide a link to a Google search that has numerous hits on insurance being denied because of no evidence of forced entry yet people are still saying it doesn't happen.

Not all States have the same insurance laws. Not all insurance companies have the same policies. If you are in a State that prohibits denial of coverage when there is no evidence of forced entry, I'm happy for you. Same for if you are fortunate enough to have an insurance company that will not do so. But neither situation indicates it will always be that way. And from what I have read, denials have occurred even though there was no clause saying so in the policy.

In the case of my break in, it was the police that said I might be refused coverage if I couldn't prove forced entry. They would not likely have said that if it hadn't happened to at least some people. Fortunately, I didn't have to test that since I was able to prove forced entry. There was no clause in the policy regarding forced entry.

Clause or no clause, if someone wants to steal anything I own, they are going to have to work at it. I'm not going to invite them in by leaving anything unlocked or using locks that everyone and their dog has a key to. That will at least encourage the lazy thieves to move on to easier pickings. The insurance will cover any damage that gets done.
__________________
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
HHIDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Curious. I provide a link to a Google search that has numerous hits on insurance being denied because of no evidence of forced entry yet people are still saying it doesn't happen.

Not all States have the same insurance laws. Not all insurance companies have the same policies. If you are in a State that prohibits denial of coverage when there is no evidence of forced entry, I'm happy for you. Same for if you are fortunate enough to have an insurance company that will not do so. But neither situation indicates it will always be that way. And from what I have read, denials have occurred even though there was no clause saying so in the policy.

In the case of my break in, it was the police that said I might be refused coverage if I couldn't prove forced entry. They would not likely have said that if it hadn't happened to at least some people. Fortunately, I didn't have to test that since I was able to prove forced entry. There was no clause in the policy regarding forced entry.

Clause or no clause, if someone wants to steal anything I own, they are going to have to work at it. I'm not going to invite them in by leaving anything unlocked or using locks that everyone and their dog has a key to. That will at least encourage the lazy thieves to move on to easier pickings. The insurance will cover any damage that gets done.

I am not an insurance broker but would think that most contracts probably have a clause which would state that you have to take "reasonable precautions" or "reasonable care" of your goods. In other words you can't claim for your $20 dollar bill that was stolen which you left on the park bench overnight. Just my opinion.
__________________
DanielB
'06 Mountain Aire 4309, ISL 400-CM850, Spartan MMGT
'16 Jeep Wrangler
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 520
I also found out my insurance does not cover contents that were not part of the original MH or a replacement of an original installation. So which is worse pay $500 deductable for a destroyed door and cost to replace contents, in my case $40. Or install a $200 alarm system and leave the door unlocked and recieve no damage to the door and pay replacement cost of items stolen. I also lost use of the MH for almost 4 months. There are no doors available for a 2008 Bounder. Fleetwood had to go th the manufacturer and have one made, that took 3 months.
__________________
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
H. Miller's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Curious. I provide a link to a Google search that has numerous hits on insurance being denied because of no evidence of forced entry yet people are still saying it doesn't happen.

And from what I have read, denials have occurred even though there was no clause saying so in the policy.

In the case of my break in, it was the police that said I might be refused coverage if I couldn't prove forced entry.
You obviously didn't read the links! Most were about a bogus insurance scam set up by storage providers. Others were discussing the fact that "forced entry" was NOT a reason for denial of coverage. The only one that was germane to this subject happened on a commercial policy in Germany!! Commercial policies have many more manuscript (one of a kind) endorsements, coverages and exclusions which have no bearing on this discussion.

You may read all sorts of things but just because it's in print doesn't mean it has any basis in fact. Didn't I READ the "second coming" was supposed to take place earlier this year?

"In your case" the police person was committing a felony by practicing insurance without a license, also true of some of the answers given in this discussion.

And yes, I have a current insurance license and been in the biz since 1966.
__________________
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4"girls" (3 Irish Setters - 1 Retriever) - RIP Annie
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Davdeb1's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Avon Lake, Oh
Posts: 2,884
I have a good solution to the problem. Move the RV. Obviously this lot is not secure, and it is possible to find one that is. Just check with the local authorities when you find a lot to see how many break ins were reported.
__________________
2000 HOLIDAY RAMBLER ENDEAVOR
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
RedneckExpress's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sauvie Island, OR
Posts: 2,353
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Not very helpful to those of us who have no choice in the matter. If we want to own an RV, we have to rent a storage space.
Or move to a place where you can store it on your property. It's all about choice. You either choose to have your vehicle repeatedly damaged and robbed in a storage facility (there is NO SUCH THING as a truly secure storage facility, unless it happens to be a US Military Base ) or you can choose to buy a home where you can have an RV pad and park your RV by your house.

While that doesn't completely eliminate the possibility for theft, it does greatly reduce it.
__________________
'92 Dodge W250 "Dually" Power Wagon
'74
KIT 1106 Kamper Slide-in Truck Camper
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
You obviously didn't read the links! Most were about a bogus insurance scam set up by storage providers....And yes, I have a current insurance license and been in the biz since 1966.
Actually, I did and obviously you didn't read very far. You don't get past the storage unit scam hits until the second or third page. After I read the first link to the storage unit scam, I skipped over the rest.
__________________
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #25
RV Mutant #14
 
Wayne M's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,204
Alright kiddies. Bicker, bicker bicker.

I don't believe (my opinion) that there is any such thing as a secure RV unless you are sitting in it and have a means of protecting yourself from any aggressors.

Lock the door, they break in. Unlock the door, they break the plane and are in. Put in a security alarm. They break in. Loud noise and bright lights are the better detriment, but it does not mean that they will not break in.

To have tried to break into the Tour and not succeed just means that they did not have the right tools.

Once in, they most likely have one minute before on-site response arrives, and if it is off-site even more time. If it is parked in your yard and they do it at 0230 hours it is going to take you some time to put on tour pants, grab your defense mechanism and proceed out to the MH.

Do you have any idea how little time is needed to ransack the inside, and even possibly rip the television off its mounts? Not long, not long at all.

We do what we have to do for peace of mind. After it is all over we can say, "I should have tried ???, for security"

Maybe some posts on ideas of what to do could benefit some that need the information.
__________________
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2015 Winnebago Tour 42QD
RVM14
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
 
SarahW's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a lawnchair
Posts: 11,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Or move to a place where you can store it on your property. It's all about choice. You either choose to have your vehicle repeatedly damaged and robbed in a storage facility (there is NO SUCH THING as a truly secure storage facility, unless it happens to be a US Military Base ) or you can choose to buy a home where you can have an RV pad and park your RV by your house.

While that doesn't completely eliminate the possibility for theft, it does greatly reduce it.
I believe the point is there is NO absolutely secure storage area...even in your own yard. (And I'm sure there are some low-life individuals even on military bases!)
__________________
.2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #27
Registered User
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 520
Wayne and SarahW are right you do the best you can. But if a thief is determined they will break in. Look at the number of home invasions that are happening when people are home. The only protection is what you are willing to provide. As someone said the police are only minutes away when seconds count.
__________________
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
RedneckExpress's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sauvie Island, OR
Posts: 2,353
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Alright kiddies. Bicker, bicker bicker.

I don't believe (my opinion) that there is any such thing as a secure RV unless you are sitting in it and have a means of protecting yourself from any aggressors.

Lock the door, they break in. Unlock the door, they break the plane and are in. Put in a security alarm. They break in. Loud noise and bright lights are the better detriment, but it does not mean that they will not break in.

To have tried to break into the Tour and not succeed just means that they did not have the right tools.

Once in, they most likely have one minute before on-site response arrives, and if it is off-site even more time. If it is parked in your yard and they do it at 0230 hours it is going to take you some time to put on tour pants, grab your defense mechanism and proceed out to the MH.

Do you have any idea how little time is needed to ransack the inside, and even possibly rip the television off its mounts? Not long, not long at all.

We do what we have to do for peace of mind. After it is all over we can say, "I should have tried ???, for security"

Maybe some posts on ideas of what to do could benefit some that need the information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I believe the point is there is NO absolutely secure storage area...even in your own yard. (And I'm sure there are some low-life individuals even on military bases!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
Wayne and SarahW are right you do the best you can. But if a thief is determined they will break in. Look at the number of home invasions that are happening when people are home. The only protection is what you are willing to provide. As someone said the police are only minutes away when seconds count.

Yes, but how often do you hear of folks coming on here and going "My RV was at home and got broken into" vs "I left it in a secure storage yard and my rig got broken into."

I read about the later almost 10 times to every 1 time I read about it getting broken in at home.

In a secure storage yard, they are almost guaranteed not to be bothered or even noticed and can take their time stripping the place clean, hell they can even come back and do it over several days, that's how poor the security is at a storage yard.
__________________

__________________
'92 Dodge W250 "Dually" Power Wagon
'74
KIT 1106 Kamper Slide-in Truck Camper
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WorkHorse Park Break Problems CopterDr. Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 1 08-08-2011 10:08 PM
5th Wheel/TT and The New Home Tax Break 2009 rockintom Excel Owner's Forum 12 03-12-2010 08:46 AM
Ford Ranger - Easy to Break Into Cab RVThere Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 5 09-13-2009 10:34 PM
Break lights on when exhaust break is used? Lindenberg Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 3 01-18-2007 07:29 PM
break buddy unstable Tony G Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 10 08-28-2006 01:28 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.