Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Attempted break in

My 2009 Winnebago Tour was damaged recently due to an attempted break in. Entry door and trim damaged to the tune of nearly $4000.00, bad guys,however, were not able to jar open the door. I would like to know if anyone has come up with a deterrant that might prevent this from happening again short of tethering a really nasty pit bull to the grab handle? Our storage lot is fairly secure although obviously not inpenetrable, any suggestions that make sense would be greatly appreciated.

Ranger Rick
2009 Winnebago Tour WD
2010 Chevy Equinox

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
edj

Short of putting a steel bar across all access points, the best protection is a GOOD insurance policy....

edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #3

Does this storage facility include surveillance cams? They are a good deterrent but better yet may help catch these bad guys...
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Very sorry to here about your damage. I had the same thing happen to my Bounder last March. They did $5,800 damage to steal a $40 dvd player, there was nothing in the coach at the time. The Bounder is now on a slab in my backyard.
As stated before have good insurance.
I also suggest:
1. If you have to store in a lot leave nothing of value in the RV
2. Leave the RV unlocked, as you know the cost of the damage they do exceeds the value of items stolen.
3. There are alarm systems that sound a local siren and call your cell, I have one.
4. If you have shore power at your lot leave a light on and a radio playing
5. Flood lights with motion detect, if you have shore power.

I have ordered a dash cam that has motion detect. When the Bounder is parked I plan to turn it around to record the inside of the MH.

Bottom line nothing is going to stop a determined thief, except a baseball bat, big mean dog, 45, 12 ga etc.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Where we store ours, it has barbed wire fencing, cameras at and around the entrance building and was told there was a resident worker/ watchman who lives on the 2nd floor of the repair shop building. But the surrounding area is wooded along with some open fields that if a person wanted could sneak around. If a person wanted they could simply bust out a window and gain entry . Back a year or so ago, one of the local RV dealers had like 30 or 40 RV's broken into for their flat screen TV's.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I forgot to mention the storage lot I had my Bounder in has cameras, lights and can be seen from a main road.
The cameras were only on the entrance gate only. The lights did not light up the covered storage where the MH was stored. All of the big rig spaces backed up to an outside fence in the back of the lot. The thieves drove through a cemetary on the back side, cut the chain link fence that has razor wire on top, lotta good that did. Then broke into 10 motor homes and fifth wheels. The total value of goods stolen maybe $500 damage over $50,000.
I believe if my Bounder had an alarm at the time and the door was unlocked the thieves would have ran as soon as they opened the door and the alarm sounded.
Take a look at the security of your lot and if it is anythimg like the one I was in MOVE!!
Old 12-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #7

My storage site has an 25lb attack cat. The only thing he will let in my motorhome is MICE.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
...As stated before have good insurance.
I also suggest:
1. If you have to store in a lot leave nothing of value in the RV
2. Leave the RV unlocked, as you know the cost of the damage they do exceeds the value of items stolen...
If you leave the RV unlocked, you probably wouldn't be able to collect on the insurance. Most insurance policies require proof of forced entry before they will pay.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
If you leave the RV unlocked, you probably wouldn't be able to collect on the insurance. Most insurance policies require proof of forced entry before they will pay.
Never heard of that before and I was in the insurance business for 12 years. Never seen an exclusion like that.
Don
Old 12-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donr827 View Post
Never heard of that before and I was in the insurance business for 12 years. Never seen an exclusion like that.
Don
Search the Forums (not just this one). I've seen several posts where it has happened.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Search the Forums (not just this one). I've seen several posts where it has happened.
When DD was in med school she absent mindedly left her apartment door unlocked and then went to work overnight at the hospital. While she was gone someone came in and literally took everything out, leaving pretty much bare walls. Insurance company paid the entire loss. Maybe rules are different in other states or something has changed.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #12

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

At our storage facility there were a number of breakins and generators stolen. Owner was perplexed as he had cameras located at access points, trip wires that activated an a;arm on the outside perimeter. He started checking entry/exit tapes from the cameras and found some amazing coincidences with one of the patrons...
I think its called an INSIDE JOB. He had a storage space and access to the facility and took full advantage.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
When DD was in med school she absent mindedly left her apartment door unlocked and then went to work overnight at the hospital. While she was gone someone came in and literally took everything out, leaving pretty much bare walls. Insurance company paid the entire loss. Maybe rules are different in other states or something has changed.
I did a quickie Google search on the subject and found quite a few hits.

Around twenty years ago, my van and storage van were broken into and robbed. It was fairly obvious the van had been broken into (although I had to show the police how they did it) but the jerks had cut the padlock off the shed and tossed it. I was advised by the police I should look for the lock before contacting my insurance company since they might deny the claim if I couldn't prove forced entry. I found the lock in the grass about twenty feet from the shed. Fortunately, they had cut it instead of picking it.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
During the mid-70's Mercedes had very expensive electronic radio that was very popular with thieves. Mercedes convertable owners were advised by thier insurance agents in our area not to lock thier doors. Thieves could easily cut thru an $1800 dollar convertible top and steal a $700 dollar radio from the dash. I remember also one occurrance where the thief broke out the passenger side window to make entry on an UNLOCKED Mercedes, and took the radio. The insurance covered the loss.

Dieselclacker