Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2005, 05:52 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Reprinted from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Sunday, August 14, 2005

Quote:
Attention, Wal-Mart Parkers
RVers take the scenic route to the parking lot

By Bill Draper, The Associated Press

Emporia, Kan.--Charlotte Pinick takes a quick inventory: five recreational vehicles parked in a nearby truck stop parking lot, a few more up the road at the Wal-Mart.

That's more than $120 the owner of Emporia RV Park won't be bringing in this day, as travelers choose free parking over the campsites with water, electricity, dump station and wireless Internet service that Pinick and her husband are offering for $22.50 a night.

"We don't like it, but it's one of those things," Pinick says of the RVs that could have been filling the 20-some empty spaces in her RV park.

With $2 gas prices making their hobby more expensive, RV enthusiasts are trimming their travel costs any way they can, whether that means taking fewer and shorter trips or spending a few nights in the local Wal-Mart parking lot, experts say.

They're also looking for convenience, security and familiarity as they drive their travel trailers or $100,000-plus motor homes from one end of the country to the other.

"There are those nights when you're forced to drive in the dark to find somplace to park and you just don't know what you're going to find," said Chuck Woodbury, who publishes RV-related articles on the Internet. "You say to yourself, 'There's a Wal-Mart over there. I'm going to make life easy for myself.'"

Woodbury operates what he calls the largest bookstore exclusively focused on recreational vehicles. Among the offerings on rvbookstore.com is a publication that lists all the Wal-Marts where overnight parking is not allowed, and a Wal-Mart locater guide, complete with maps to every Wal-Mart store in the country except those in Hawaii.

Those are a must-have for serious RVers, he said.

"Boondocking," also known as primitive camping, is the RVer term for camping without the use of such conveniences as electricity and water. The subject, especially as it pertains to Wal-Mart lots, is a favorite topic amon Internet-savvy travelers on such sites as freecamping.com, fulltimerver.com and Woodbury's rvtravel.com

There has even been a documentary about parking in Wal-Mart lots, titled "This is Nowhere," which includes interviews with RVers in Missoula, Montana.

"We took it on because we're interested in the contradiction between wanting to experience nature and experience the cultures and history in various regions of the United States," film-maker Doug Hawes-Davis said of the documentary. "A lot of them [campers] recognize some of the contradictions and absurdities of camping at a Wal-Mart. Even RVers themselves don't deny it."

Critics of the practice--especially campground owners who feel they are losing money because of it--argue that people who can afford to drive vehicles worth hundreds of thousands of dollars across the country surely can afford to pay the $20 or $30 nightly fee for a campsite.

But RVers say it's not always about saving money. Most Wal-Marts are easy to find, the lots are lit up at night and usually have security cameras. Campers can restock their supplies, get something to eat and be back on the highway with ease--which is important to people who have someplace else to be.

Pinick, the campgroundowner, said most transient campers she sees--the ones who are just passing through, rather than the "snowbirds" who park there for extended stays--alternate between parking in campgrounds and overnighting in places where they don't have to pay.

"Most people are every other day," Pinick said. "If there's a Wal-Mart, they'll stay there one night, and the next come to places like this and get water and dump their tanks. That's kind of a general consensus."

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Christi Gallagher said there are 3,167 Wal-Marts and Sam's Club stores scattered across teh United States in communities of all sizes. The company whose founder, Sam Walton, was said to be an RV enthusiast encourages RVers to park in its lots wherever it's allowed, she said.

"From Wal-Mart's perspective, RVers are customers, and we're certainly happy to host them in our parking lot when we can," she said.
There is a text box on the page
Quote:
If you go RV camping<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>RV Websites: For information about RV travel and where to camp, visit www.freecamping.com www.fulltimrver.com and www.rvtravel.com<LI>Wal-Mart RV camping: The books "2005 Wal-Mart Locator" and "Wal-Mart 'No Overnight Parking' Stores" and the documentary "This is Nowhere (Camping at Wal-Mart)" (on DVD or video) can be ordered through www.rvbookstore.com[/list]
There is a picture with this caption
Quote:
Kevin Anderson, 10, grimaces as he plays a hand-held electronic game while his cousin, Courtney Beecher, 12, peers into the refrigerator inside their RV in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Concord, N.H.. It was the first time the Andersons had camped at a Wal-Mart. "It's kind of handy," said father Ken Anderson.
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2005, 05:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Reprinted from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Sunday, August 14, 2005

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Attention, Wal-Mart Parkers
RVers take the scenic route to the parking lot

By Bill Draper, The Associated Press

Emporia, Kan.--Charlotte Pinick takes a quick inventory: five recreational vehicles parked in a nearby truck stop parking lot, a few more up the road at the Wal-Mart.

That's more than $120 the owner of Emporia RV Park won't be bringing in this day, as travelers choose free parking over the campsites with water, electricity, dump station and wireless Internet service that Pinick and her husband are offering for $22.50 a night.

"We don't like it, but it's one of those things," Pinick says of the RVs that could have been filling the 20-some empty spaces in her RV park.

With $2 gas prices making their hobby more expensive, RV enthusiasts are trimming their travel costs any way they can, whether that means taking fewer and shorter trips or spending a few nights in the local Wal-Mart parking lot, experts say.

They're also looking for convenience, security and familiarity as they drive their travel trailers or $100,000-plus motor homes from one end of the country to the other.

"There are those nights when you're forced to drive in the dark to find somplace to park and you just don't know what you're going to find," said Chuck Woodbury, who publishes RV-related articles on the Internet. "You say to yourself, 'There's a Wal-Mart over there. I'm going to make life easy for myself.'"

Woodbury operates what he calls the largest bookstore exclusively focused on recreational vehicles. Among the offerings on rvbookstore.com is a publication that lists all the Wal-Marts where overnight parking is not allowed, and a Wal-Mart locater guide, complete with maps to every Wal-Mart store in the country except those in Hawaii.

Those are a must-have for serious RVers, he said.

"Boondocking," also known as primitive camping, is the RVer term for camping without the use of such conveniences as electricity and water. The subject, especially as it pertains to Wal-Mart lots, is a favorite topic amon Internet-savvy travelers on such sites as freecamping.com, fulltimerver.com and Woodbury's rvtravel.com

There has even been a documentary about parking in Wal-Mart lots, titled "This is Nowhere," which includes interviews with RVers in Missoula, Montana.

"We took it on because we're interested in the contradiction between wanting to experience nature and experience the cultures and history in various regions of the United States," film-maker Doug Hawes-Davis said of the documentary. "A lot of them [campers] recognize some of the contradictions and absurdities of camping at a Wal-Mart. Even RVers themselves don't deny it."

Critics of the practice--especially campground owners who feel they are losing money because of it--argue that people who can afford to drive vehicles worth hundreds of thousands of dollars across the country surely can afford to pay the $20 or $30 nightly fee for a campsite.

But RVers say it's not always about saving money. Most Wal-Marts are easy to find, the lots are lit up at night and usually have security cameras. Campers can restock their supplies, get something to eat and be back on the highway with ease--which is important to people who have someplace else to be.

Pinick, the campgroundowner, said most transient campers she sees--the ones who are just passing through, rather than the "snowbirds" who park there for extended stays--alternate between parking in campgrounds and overnighting in places where they don't have to pay.

"Most people are every other day," Pinick said. "If there's a Wal-Mart, they'll stay there one night, and the next come to places like this and get water and dump their tanks. That's kind of a general consensus."

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Christi Gallagher said there are 3,167 Wal-Marts and Sam's Club stores scattered across teh United States in communities of all sizes. The company whose founder, Sam Walton, was said to be an RV enthusiast encourages RVers to park in its lots wherever it's allowed, she said.

"From Wal-Mart's perspective, RVers are customers, and we're certainly happy to host them in our parking lot when we can," she said. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a text box on the page<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you go RV camping<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>RV Websites: For information about RV travel and where to camp, visit www.freecamping.com www.fulltimrver.com and www.rvtravel.com<LI>Wal-Mart RV camping: The books "2005 Wal-Mart Locator" and "Wal-Mart 'No Overnight Parking' Stores" and the documentary "This is Nowhere (Camping at Wal-Mart)" (on DVD or video) can be ordered through www.rvbookstore.com[/list]</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a picture with this caption<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Kevin Anderson, 10, grimaces as he plays a hand-held electronic game while his cousin, Courtney Beecher, 12, peers into the refrigerator inside their RV in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Concord, N.H.. It was the first time the Andersons had camped at a Wal-Mart. "It's kind of handy," said father Ken Anderson. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08-18-2005, 06:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
The whole issue that is often blown out of proportion is really rather simple. It boils down to this:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
They're [campers] also looking for convenience, security and familiarity...

...RVers say it's not always about saving money. Most Wal-Marts are easy to find, the lots are lit up at night and usually have security cameras. Campers can restock their supplies, get something to eat and be back on the highway with ease--which is important to people who have someplace else to be...

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Christi Gallagher said... Wal-Marts and Sam's Club stores...encourages RVers to park in its lots wherever it's allowed...

"From Wal-Mart's perspective, RVers are customers, and we're certainly happy to host them in our parking lot when we can," she said. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Respectfully,
George Miklas
Old 08-18-2005, 08:26 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Critics of the practice--especially campground owners who feel they are losing money because of it--argue that people who can afford to drive vehicles worth hundreds of thousands of dollars across the country surely can afford to pay the $20 or $30 nightly fee for a campsite. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This portion is critically important too. Many of these RV park owners think RVers owe them a living and therefore feel justified in lobbying local governments to compel RVers to overnight in their parks. They seem to think they're entitled to it. Well, I don't owe anyone a living. I've traveled back and forth across the country several times. If all I'm doing is stopping for 8 hours or so to sleep and hit the road again, I'm not going to pay someone $20-30 to do it. When I've pulled into a Wal-Mart with one of those anti-RV local ordinance signs I just move on to the next town. I certainly don't spend any money there unless it's a necessity.
Geometricenigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:51 PM   #5

....anytime I can get a comfortable large space to park overnite away from traffic and noise-for $20 I do it....but if I have to share a spot with some old guy that drinks booze and argues with his TV set all nite forgetaboutit. If it isn't a pull through forget about it. If no pets forget about it. If I have to leave my Social Security number forget about it. If the neighbors have screaming children/loud arguements forget about it. If I got to deal with Bikers drinking and doing burnouts forget about it. Many campground owners blame their poor income because of a faulty business plan or neglect-dirt-disrepair-filth. It's their own fault when a RVer selects a busy parking lot/rest area instead of a nice campground. People who own mega buses and trailers and conversions are wealthy because of their selectivity and judgement and usually a lot of hard work....when some fool decides to force them to take less than optimal parking arrangement they surely will drive away.....Private Park Owners: Look at your own place and decide what is the real problem-don't blame your lack of full spaces on a fellow merchants or the RVing public untill you can offer something better.....If they come they will pay for what it's worth to stay in your park......geokaye
Old 08-19-2005, 02:07 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Kayerivercity..... Very well put & I agree..
Old 08-19-2005, 02:56 AM   #7

I can relate to those comments and I fully agree...wont bother to repeat a good post...We got whre we are and what we have by earning it.. I wont give it up unless the recipient wants to earn it from us..

2004 Keystone Sprinter LA 292FWRLS
Skip298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 03:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I think Campground owners should realize the difference between stopping for the night and camping. Why isn't there any Truck Campgrounds, maybe it's because truckers are only stopping for the night also. And truckers also use Walmart parking lots.

Maybe if more campground owners would offer RVers a reduced price to stop for the night and not hookup they would fill, at least, some of those empty spaces.

Bob Bowers
'04 Pace Arrow
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:30 PM   #9

Discussions about Wal*Mart parking vs RV parks for overnight stays leave out the availability and affordability of state/BLM campgrounds that abound virtually every route RV'ers travel.

To my way of thinking, as well as observation when I am in a private RV park, the issue is about RV'ers looking for a cheap way to get around fees, and it makes no difference if the park is private or public.

It makes no sense to me that we travel around in rigs that vary in cost from $40K to $500K+ and argue about whether or not to spend 20 bucks to park it for the night.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:31 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Driver: I'm sorry were you talking about tow trucks?? Can't let you get away with that line. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was talking about full hookups!!
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:31 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
The most expensive place to park your RV for the night is at a Wal*Mart that also has a Sam's AND a book store!

So it isn't about the money..

Don
Don in E Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:53 AM   #12

I really resent the argument that the park owners like to make, "If you can afford to own an expensive RV you can afforde to spend money in my park." How would it be any different for the owners of gasoline stateions to band together and say that if you can afford to travel in a gas or diese powered vehicle you can afford to buy fuel from me and start to require that ever motorized vehicle stop for fuel if they pass through that town? It is no divverent. And perhaps the auto parts store should insist that you buy some parts and the dry cleaner insist on some of their services, and so on. That is a really stupid argument! Since when does the public owe support to anyone who happend to open some business?
Old 08-20-2005, 02:30 PM   #13

Yikes!
Another Wal-Mart parking thread!

Chet
Old 08-20-2005, 03:32 PM   #14

I've never seen WalMart complain about the campground owners selling rv supplies or their few overpriced groceries in the offices.
Joe

An Indian and a Gypsy
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote