RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #1

Atwood LP water heater issue SOLVED

Just thought I'd toss this out here. My Atwood LP-only water heater was working fine several months ago, but yesterday as I was testing the systems to prepare for a trip, it would light, then go out after a few seconds, then repeat about 3 times, then shut down.

Was expecting a major diagnostic headache, but first I took off and cleaned all the connections, including the edge connector to the PC board. The worst connection was the brown wire, which has a fuse or something inline inside a clear vinyl tube. Both of it's spade connections were very dirty. Used fine sandpaper on those and just electrical cleaner on the rest, and now it's working fine!

tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #2

The 'fuse' in the clear tubing is a Thermal Fuse.....190*F ----one shot device/blows when exposed to 'flame blow back' from obstructed burner tube/combustion chamber
When it trips DC is stopped from going to circuit board so all functions cease.

Dirty/corroded connections play havoc on DC Currents

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
The 'fuse' in the clear tubing is a Thermal Fuse.....190*F ----one shot device/blows when exposed to 'flame blow back' from obstructed burner tube/combustion chamber
When it trips DC is stopped from going to circuit board so all functions cease.

Dirty/corroded connections play havoc on DC Currents
Thanks for the info! That was probably causing the shutdown, with the dirty connections acting like a blown fuse.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:04 PM   #4

ARRG! Not solved

It was working great earlier, blue flame with slight amount of yellow. Now it's back to starting, then stopping. Tried bypassing the thermal fuse, no help, then I noticed the black wire going to the igniter just hanging there.

Does this just need to be pushed in the white insulator, or do I need a new igniter assembly? I had noticed the sparking was erratic...

I believe the igniter also serves as the flame detector, so this surely is why it keeps cutting off.

I found one on Amazon, different model number, but looks identical.
Mine is #93245, and this one is 93868.

https://www.amazon.com/93868-Spark-E...29452558&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atwood Igniter.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	267172  
Old 11-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #5

That is a broken wire..........wire is connected to end of electrode and ThEN ceramic insulator is formed around the connection to prevent shorting to ground

NEED NEW spark electrode
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
That is a broken wire..........wire is connected to end of electrode and ThEN ceramic insulator is formed around the connection to prevent shorting to ground

NEED NEW spark electrode
Thank you for confirming that. I already ordered the one I linked above, will be here Tuesday. BTW for anyone taking off the igniter, it's a square drive screw (S2). You'll need a small angle ratchet, but the head is big enough that you could get it off with pliers as well.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
FYI - one other cause for intermittent start/stop is that the porcelain insulator can develop a hairline crack, which will cause the spark to short to ground. At around the 10 year mark, this happened to me. You could barely see the crack.
Something to look for in the future if it happens again.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #8

Got the igniter today, looks identical to the old one, installed it, and it works beautifully. By the way the old one was about 10 years old.

One handy hint, make sure to pre thread the self-tapping screw into the bracket before you try to install it.

Tags
atwood, heat, heater, water, water heater