Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Refer to you A/c manual/ documentation

Current a/c units have "preset" either a 15 second or 2 minute delay before compressor kicks "on" to bleed head pressure in the event of "brown-out" power interruption. My Duo-Therm 59136's has the preset 2 minute delay.

IMHO.....{If you have confirmed this 2 minute window}...I agree that the OP could leave t'stat powered "ON" and set to desired temperature & it will be sufficient delay for generator start-up to equalize.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Morgan View Post
Current a/c units have "preset" either a 15 second or 2 minute delay before compressor kicks "on" to bleed head pressure in the event of "brown-out" power interruption. My Duo-Therm 59136's has the preset 2 minute delay.

IMHO.....{If you have confirmed this 2 minute window}...I agree that the OP could leave t'stat powered "ON" and set to desired temperature & it will be sufficient delay for generator start-up to equalize.

Confirmed and agree with ability to leave thermostat in "on" position and start generator as needed.

I switched breakers to both compressors off, set thermostat to on and a lower than ambient temp., switched breakers on, and timed = 1 minute 53 seconds and compressor started. Seems to me to be safe way to go.

Only info I could get from the manuals was that there is a 30 second delay between compressor 1 and compressor 2 being able to start to prevent higher than detected supply amps.

Thanks for all the input from everyone - I'll eventually get this thing figured out, one system at a time - IF I live long enough.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Isn't that what Cruise Control is for?
I considered that, Even at my age I can cover 20 feet pretty fast but there was a problem:

The refrigerator is right by the thermostat, there were still a couple of beers in the refrigerator, I was hot -

well - I think you see where this is going

Old 06-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
I considered that, Even at my age I can cover 20 feet pretty fast but there was a problem:

The refrigerator is right by the thermostat, there were still a couple of beers in the refrigerator, I was hot -

well - I think you see where this is going

Good one...
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #19

I don't know if it's a built-in delay, but I do believe the AC fan will run for a short period of time before the thermostat senses temperature and turns on the compressor, correct?
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuge View Post
I don't know if it's a built-in delay, but I do believe the AC fan will run for a short period of time before the thermostat senses temperature and turns on the compressor, correct?
Yes, The fan comes on first followed by about a 3-5 second delay and then the compressor starts.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #21

I turn off all heavy electrical loads, any time the power source is changed (don't forget about battery chargers/inverters). Much easier to be safe than sorry, no electrical device like to be switched under a load. Never had a problem except once with a lightning strike that hit near the power pedistal and blewup one of the transfer switches. That was a eye opener.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
Confirmed and agree with ability to leave thermostat in "on" position and start generator as needed.

I switched breakers to both compressors off, set thermostat to on and a lower than ambient temp., switched breakers on, and timed = 1 minute 53 seconds and compressor started. Seems to me to be safe way to go.

Only info I could get from the manuals was that there is a 30 second delay between compressor 1 and compressor 2 being able to start to prevent higher than detected supply amps.

Thanks for all the input from everyone - I'll eventually get this thing figured out, one system at a time - IF I live long enough.

Our 2000 Adventurer has a GenSet Start/Stop Switch on the Dashboard. Seems to me that would be for using the A/C en-route without having to stop. (Or use the Cruise Control.)
Old 06-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #23

Great information Rjay, thanks.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I guess it's another case of "just because we can... doesn't mean we should."
I agree with Rick. I've been doing exactly what you described for years and never thought twice about it.

Thanks RJay.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks. I hope this will save our members an unnecessary breakdown and an unexpected expense.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote