Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Thom-

Here is something to think about: Cars, vans and pickup trucks have adequate headlights for highway travel. Ditto, big-rig trucks and commercial buses. Why then, do motorhomes not have adequate headlights? The complaints on iRV2 are legion. Why, our coaches are built with headlights from cars, vans and pickup trucks!
That's what I don't understand; our RVs are built with the same car/truck headlights. Those headlights are perfectly sufficient for those cars/trucks, so why are they not sufficient for RV's?

Although mine seem to be fine, I'm going to check the voltages at the light, and install relays if the voltage is low. You can never have too much light (as long as it's aimed correctly).
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2017, 02:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Thom-

I appreciate your frustration.

Late in life I first heard the admonition: "Don't drive faster than you can see." For our coach, sometimes that feels as if I should have it down to 20 miles per hour.

Here is something to think about: Cars, vans and pickup trucks have adequate headlights for highway travel. Ditto, big-rig trucks and commercial buses. Why then, do motorhomes not have adequate headlights? The complaints on iRV2 are legion. Why, our coaches are built with headlights from cars, vans and pickup trucks!

I'm inclined to accept the diagnosis and proposed cure that Daniel Stern puts forth at this link. Daniel also has advice concerning HID and LED modifications to a coach's headlights; see this link.

I have the headlight circuit upgrade (and a horn upgrade) on the list of 2018 improvement projects. Now, if only OEM Toyota Highlander headlights were something less than $185 each... the TYC knock-offs that came stock on the coach are yellowed beyond fixing.
I'll read that article later. I've already loaded up LED bulb replacements in the current housing. It's better but not good enough. I bet on a 6' wide vehicle (probably what the lights were designed for) they'd be fine but push them out 2 more feet and large patches of black in front of me that I want to remedy. From the responses I'm getting I might be better off going with 2 "fog/driving" lights rather than a single bar. I was hoping to kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak.

I've got a good area that I could mount a single bar on the front rather than having to find a way to mount 2 singles on either side. Living in the RV full-time right now we do have occasions to re-position at night time some.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #17

Many states are starting to specifically address the LED light bars on vehicles on the roadway. They are not relying on the " bright and dazzling light into the eyes of an oncoming driver" or the other statutes or codes addressing how bright a light can be at a certain distance and height.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #18

Part of pickups getting higher, the headlights were moved down to the parking light location and parking/daylight lights moving up.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #19

I'd be cautious about the LED light bars. My home state of NC just outlawed them for on-road use. Wouldn't surprise me to see other states follow.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Auxiliary Light-bar

Quote:
Thom-

I appreciate your frustration.

Late in life I first heard the admonition: "Don't drive faster than you can see." For our coach, sometimes that feels as if I should have it down to 20 miles per hour.

I'm inclined to accept the diagnosis and proposed cure that Daniel Stern puts forth at this link. Daniel also has advice concerning HID and LED modifications to a coach's headlights; see this link.

I have the headlight circuit upgrade (and a horn upgrade) on the list of 2018 improvement projects. Now, if only OEM Toyota Highlander headlights were something less than $185 each... the TYC knock-offs that came stock on the coach are yellowed beyond fixing.

I made the recommended changes DS suggested and was pleased with the results.
It does require making all the changes.
1. My voltages were dropping 1.5-2 volts which was significant.
- Added relays and heavy gage wiring harness with relays.
- voltage barely changes now
2. Added third relay to hold low beams on when high beams engaged. Can only do this if you have separate bulbs.
3. Replace cheap TYC housings with original GM housings
4. Upgraded bulbs higher output with same wattage.
5. Aimed headlights per specs.
Only after all 5 steps were finished did I now feel like our headlights were adequate.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #21

Excellent!.

Light bars have no upper beam cut off, and dazzle oncoming drivers. There are correct solutions that can improve lighting - like the relays I added to our Trek that provide adequate voltage to the OEM lights. Daniel Stern's website is the gold standard for automotive light improvement: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
I'd be cautious about the LED light bars. My home state of NC just outlawed them for on-road use. Wouldn't surprise me to see other states follow.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:15 AM   #22

I too have found the stock lighting wanting. Found voltage drop at the headlights when the switch is on. Voltage should be lower when daytime running lights are on.
Enough voltage drop to the rear that my boat trailer LED lights are only partially illuminated.
I am going to add relays to the wiring soon. Don't drive much at night now with cataracts forming.
My youngest son works for a company installing emergency equipment in police and fire vehicles. They do get driver complaints from the light bars mounted high of too much glare.
I think 2 individual lights mounted low and properly focused would be the way to go.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
My youngest son works for a company installing emergency equipment in police and fire vehicles. They do get driver complaints from the light bars mounted high of too much glare.
I think 2 individual lights mounted low and properly focused would be the way to go.
I can tell you I am one that complains about the new LED technology and aiming of the lights it is blinding.

From the replies posted I'm thinking that 2 lights is the way to go if I do anything at all. I'm not in a hurry to do this so I'll be watching for some good lights to come up and go from there. All this reminds me how much I hate working with 12V power. As easy as 12V should be I have better luck with 120V power...

Tags
light