Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 10:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT4Wextra View Post
The electrical rates for a RV user aren't set by the electrical company, they are set by each individual RV park owner since they are buying service from the electric utility company, so they could vary and would vary for any given area.
Not in Florida, the rate is the same for everyone-from the same provider, by law.
This website may prove helpful: http://www.electricitylocal.com/

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 04:36 AM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Just make sure to take a reading on the meter when arriving and departing your site and pay the KW used at the electrical companie legal price.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:01 AM   #17

Two thoughts.

I have paid as much as $0.28/KWH in the central Adirondack at a seasonal park. They have around a 4 - 5 month season to recoup their costs in the electrical service combined with a power company billing system that bills for potential usage not actual on the theory that they have to be able to supply the power whether or not it is used.

Unless running solar you can discount the 12 VDC power as it comes from the 120 VAC power you are plugged into as long as you are parked. If you drive the MH a lot the engine alternator will offset the power used on the 12 V side. That is a very expensive way to do it just to bring down power usage costs. ;-) OTOH if you are traveling there is a small benefit there.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:46 AM   #18
IC2

It's virtually impossible to figure out what a bill for power should end up being based on the power company's rate structure. Above, my power costs for that ~45 day period was on 21 cents per kwh. I have the same provider at home, National Grid which is a Scottish holding company. Looking at my last month's bill, my home base rate is .0496/kwh. Then they add supply, merchant function and ESRM, just for the supply side. Next are the 'other' delivery charges, state assessment, SBC/RPS, Legacy Transition, RDM, Transmission Rev Adj and Tariff surcharge. I have no clue without spending more frustrating time on the power company's web site what some of those acronyms mean. BUT, when all done, my base kwh rate goes from .0496 to .1297 per kwh. If we are at a CG, instead of a home SC1 Rate, I would then have one of their commercial rates as my power supply --- and that has even more adders and confusion, hence the .21/kwh.

I would guess the two large solar panels that were on our last 5er did help some but on our current unit, we would never see the payback after the initial outlay for purchase and installation
Old 07-15-2015, 06:15 AM   #19
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMDF9A View Post
The purpose of my original post was in fact for planning purposes...Some of you may think I am over thinking this...
Yes, you are overthinking it. Most campgrounds do not have a separate charge for electricity unless you are there for a long period and are paying a monthly or seasonal rate. Even then, many (especially in the north) still don't charge extra.

The campground where we stay in FL during the winter charges $.14/kw-hr for monthly or seasonal guests. Daily and weekly rates are higher, but there is no additional charge for electricity.

The place in OH where we are spending the summer does not charge extra for electricity no matter how long you are staying, but then their monthly and seasonal rates are not discounted nearly as much as they are where we stay in FL.

Quote:
...I also wanted to get some idea if replacing the fridge with a household unit from the get go would be a wise choice... Or just wait for the current one to fail?...David
Although a residential refrigerator will use a lot less electricity than an RV refrigerator running on electric, I wouldn't replace an RV refrigerator just to save money on my electric bill. For one thing, as I said above, most campgrounds don't even charge extra for electricity. The other thing is, the installation of a residential refrigerator will cost you $1000 to $5000 depending on what size refrigerator you select, how much of the work you can do yourself and whether or not you need to add to or upgrade your inverter/battery bank. Therefore, it will take you a long time to recoup your investment.

That being said, there are a lot more compelling reasons to replace your RV fridge with a residential. Hard ice cream, cold beer and lots of ice are just a few reasons. Other reasons are the potential for greater capacity inside for about the same exterior dimensions, peace of mind, and less spoiled food. Oh, yeah - residential refrigerators are also frost free.

I replaced a perfectly good 12 cu ft Norcold in the motorhome we used to have, and it was the best mod I did to the MH in the 10 years we owned it. The availability of a residential refrigerator was an absolute must when we bought our new 5th wheel.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:34 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The electrical rates for a RV user aren't set by the electrical company, they are set by each individual RV park owner since they are buying service from the electric utility company, so they could vary and would vary for any given area.
Not really true. Every state regulates the rates charged for electric power and resellers who are not public utilities are not allowed to mark-up the price of the power they get from the electric company and make a profit on it. However, they probably are not paying residential rates for the power either, and commercial rates are often higher. But whatever they pay per KWH, that's all they can charge the campsite user if they meter the power and bill for usage. They can also add fixed fees for reading meters, billing, providing the meter, etc.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Figure $200 a month. If its less, go out to dinner.
Agreed! !
Old 07-15-2015, 02:44 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Not really true. Every state regulates the rates charged for electric power and resellers who are not public utilities are not allowed to mark-up the price of the power they get from the electric company and make a profit on it. However, they probably are not paying residential rates for the power either, and commercial rates are often higher. But whatever they pay per KWH, that's all they can charge the campsite user if they meter the power and bill for usage. They can also add fixed fees for reading meters, billing, providing the meter, etc.
Not AZ. AZ is one state that allows the RV park to set the rate if the site is rented for less than 180 days.

The AZ law can be seen HERE Scroll down to 33-2107.

Then HERE is the revision that allows RV parks an out.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:49 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In AZ in the winter with no AC use we used about 300 to 350 KWh per month.

The rate in the RV park we stayed in one of the highest we encountered - $0.20 per KHh.
Of course the monthly site rent was only $160 so we didn't mind too much.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Yeah, I knew someone was going to answer that way!
With an attitude like that, I'm surprised that anyone is actually bothering to answer your question, which has way too many variables, a few of which Mr D pointed out.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #25

Why? I think this could be answered by calling trailer parks, with permanent renters. When you are boondocking, and traveling it is zero.

Tags
electrical