Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2019, 09:40 AM   #15

I owned my rv over six months when I registerer in Fl and paid no taxes.They do have an impact fee on new registrations in the state.It is a one time fee . So I had a previous registration from many years ago and my car was exempt.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #16

As a Florida resident who has done something very similar, I can assure you that the answer from bldrbob is accurate. You will pay an "impact fee" of about $400, but if your vehicle has been titled in another state for more than six months, you will not be charged any sales tax when you register it in Florida.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
FL RV Registration

I have done this myself and it was surprisingly simple. You must have a letter from Montana showing dissolution of the LLC which I'm sure you're MT lawyer can arrange. Then take that with the MT title, which you should already have, go to the DMV and a couple hundred dollars later you're done. I don't know where you're headed in FL but it was even pretty quick where I went in Port Charlotte.

Terry
BoA36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I wonder if the 6 month loophole is only for new residents, or can it be used for all Florida residents. In other words, can a Florida resident buy an RV in Montana, keep it there for six months, and then bring it to Florida tax-free?

One thing to be sure of: you should keep good records during the first 6 months. RV park receipts, storage receipts or the like to prove that you kept the RV out of Florida for the required 6 months. Otherwise there is only your word and they are unlikely to accept that.

I personally know 2 people that did exactly that. Hired a LLC attorney in Montana to facilitate the setup. They kept the motorhome out of FL for 6 months and kept records to prove it.

Both are long term FL residences.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
From Florida DMV;

New Resident Vehicle Sales Tax

The state of Florida may charge sales tax, use tax, and local discretionary taxes on your vehicle when you register it for the first time in Florida. Whether or not you pay the taxes depends on how long you have owned your vehicle.

Vehicle owned less than 6 months:

Owner is responsible for 6% Florida sales or use tax and any local discretionary taxes your new city or county might require.

Florida sales tax will be pro-rated based upon any taxes you paid in another state.

Example: You already paid 3% tax in previous state so you subtract that from the 6% tax owed to Florida. This means you owe 3% sales or use tax.

Vehicle owned more than 6 months:

No sales, use, or local discretionary taxes will be charged for vehicles that have been owned and registered in another state.

Your out-of-state title and registration will need to verify that you have owned the vehicle more than 6 months.
If I paid 7% in another state, will Florida reimburse me 1%?[emoji1786]
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:22 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB218NYC View Post
If I paid 7% in another state, will Florida reimburse me 1%?[emoji1786]
That would be as dumb as the Federal government sending tax refunds to people who have paid no taxes.

Oh, wait, the Feds do that. It is called a "refundable tax credit".
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:48 AM   #21

Quote:
That would be as dumb as the Federal government sending tax refunds to people who have paid no taxes.

Or about as dumb as paying sales tax to a state I didn't make a purchase in...
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:00 PM   #22

Quote:

"The Feds" are not some amorphous blob, it's the Congress, an elected branch of government. "We, the people" elect them.

Perhaps it comes as a shock to realize that not every voter has the same priorities as oneself.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:56 PM   #23

As some prominent people have pointed out when they blurred the line, there is a legal line between tax avoidance and tax evasion. Sure is good to see the difference being explained properly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:07 PM   #24

If you registered the RV to an LLC in Montana, why change it to Florida? The RV is legally owned by the corporate entity, not by you. Where the corporate officer chooses to park the equipment is company business. Also - Florida doesn't care.

Now about the registration, if the RV was bought / registered to an LLC... You may have a problem just to register it in Florida, since the LLC OWNS the RV and not you, that would likely trigger the sales tax.

If this is registered in your name personally in Montana though and you are moving to Florida, unless you have an old Florida plate or prior registration (even long expired) that you can show them, you will likely get hit with the "new wheels" fee of (last I remember) $250 on top of the registration. But that is a one-time fee.
geordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:00 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
rwsplace...I'm curious how much was your total cost to setup the LLC and what will be the total cost to dissolve it.

Also is there a yearly fee for an LLC? If so, how much?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale