Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
I pulled into a Conoco station to fuel up and there was another DP in the opposite stall fueling up. I didn't pay too much attention at first but as I waited I glanced over to see him filling with off road red dyed fuel. I made the comment did he know that was off road fuel and he said yep and it's 47 cents a gallon cheaper than the stuff you're pumping. I said well there's a hefty fine if your caught using that fuel and he said no one has ever been stopped and tested while driving a class A coach. I left wondering if he had a Montana LLC too, but Montana LLC's are legal. I'd be afraid to do this for the small amount gained.

You have something way more valuable then this subject and that is "Intergrity". I would have gotten as much info from him and his rig and made some phone calls. These morons do cost all of us down the road.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
I tried to let this go, but alas...

I am stymied by your assertion that it "doesn't effect me". Does shoplifting effect you, bank robbery??? Somebody always pays. If somebody is getting something free that the rest of us pay for, the rest of us are paying more. Just the way it is.
I guess what I was trying to get across was that it is not MY job to police society. Anymore then I feel it is our nation's responsibility to be the world's policeman. I will leave that to the George Zimmermans of the world.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #17

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
Hate to go John Stuart Mill here and recite On Liberty but I have too much to keep me busy just with what I do to be concerned with what other people do that doesn't effect me.
You are sadly mistaken to think what other people do doesn't affect you, including this scenario.

No, it's not your job to police society. What you should do (actually, it's an obligation), at the very least, is get the thief's license plate number and a description of his rig and report what he is doing to the police to enable them to do their job. Not reporting lawbreakers is the same as condoning their actions.

Policing the world is another issue
Old 05-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
You are sadly mistaken to think what other people do doesn't affect you, including this scenario.
I have too much to keep me occupied to go looking for Skittles.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #19
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I'm trying to figure what an LLC has to do with off road fuel. Here where I live its only 17 cents difference and what they do is go to farm auctions and dip the pickups. That's where they get caught. I don't think I would want to get caught with red dye in mine. Ain't worth it.

Do all you like paying high taxes? I can't believe you don't think you are already taxed enough.

Is Texas 47 cents tax? I paid $3.95 in Mission three weeks ago and $3.94 in Mo where it is only 17 cents. Somebody is getting hosed
Old 05-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
He's prolly right too... but you sure can see him filling up

Now, why did the station let him fill up?
I ran a truck stop for 42 years before I retired. We had a off road diesel pump for off highway users. We kept the pump shut off until we had a legitimate customer request the fuel be turned on. We occasionally observed a customer try and switch the nozzle to a over the highway tank. We would shut the pump off and the customer was warned. It effects both state and federal highway maintenance funds. Cheating hurts all of us who like good highways.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Isn't this the problem with our taxation system...cheats!

Trust me, I don't like paying tax anymore than the rest of you. I suspect (hope) our individual tax bill would decrease significantly if we didn't have those that do all they can to avoid (evade) paying what is legally required of them. I had a 250 gal diesel tank at the farm with dyed fuel and yeah it was tempting to stick the nozzle in the DP those times that I parked next to the tank to save the 39 cents/gal, but I never did. In Texas we must have a state provided tax ID number to purchase fuel, farm supplies, etc. and this must be provided to the fuel seller for tax free purchases.

Forming a bogus LLC's to evade sales tax...same thing.

Just a side note, Amazon.com recently settled with the state of Texas on sales tax issues and will begin charging Texas sales tax effective July 1, 2012.
Amazon, Texas reach sales tax deal - Chicago Tribune
Old 05-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #22
a k

Newmar Owners Club
It would be nice if it all went to the highways. Screw Oklahoma.

Also, didn't anyone figure the tax system was an honor system? The ones making the rules are the biggest cheats.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Here in Alberta you where I live, not sure about everywhere else, the pumps are all card lock pumps and you have to have a farm # on your card. If you don't you cannot access the dyed fuel pump. That goes for commercial off road customers as well. It might be that fellow might be a farmer or rancher or someone that has their MH registered to their farm or business. Still not really legal to use it other than for business.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #24
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
Here in Alberta you where I live, not sure about everywhere else, the pumps are all card lock pumps and you have to have a farm # on your card. If you don't you cannot access the dyed fuel pump. That goes for commercial off road customers as well. It might be that fellow might be a farmer or rancher or someone that has their MH registered to their farm or business. Still not really legal to use it other than for business.
Another example of how those who cheat cost us all money. How costly is the system that issues and reads the cards? Millions I would guess. All taxpayers have a stake in stopping those who avoid paying their fair share. Our taxes are higher trying to prevent dishonesty.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
I guess what I was trying to get across was that it is not MY job to police society. Anymore then I feel it is our nation's responsibility to be the world's policeman. I will leave that to the George Zimmermans of the world.
It is everyone's job. So in response I will go Edmund Burke and remind you that all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #26
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
It is everyone's job. So in response I will go Edmund Burke and remind you that all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Exactly.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
Exactly.
X2, see a crime being committed stop it or report it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess I would not think much of myself if I saw a crime being committed and did not attempt report it. I know I would not appreciate a crime being committed against me and everyone looking the other way.

George Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel