Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know for a fact that they check for that in central California around the Fresno area.

Not a lot of checking but they do look for it.

My daughter works in agriculture and travels to all the orchards in the central valley and she has seen the CHP testing a couple times.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I know for a fact that they check for that in central California around the Fresno area.

Not a lot of checking but they do look for it.

My daughter works in agriculture and travels to all the orchards in the central valley and she has seen the CHP testing a couple times.
When I change my fuel filter I pre fill it with Transmission Fluid, which is red and can be seen in the clear water trap at the bottom of the filter. It takes alot of driving before it turns clear again. I have often wondered if they would dip the tank if they saw that red in the fuel filter.
It's nice that our CHP has nothing better to do than dip tanks in RV's.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Before the days of cell phones I witnessed a crime one night on my way to work. It was a convenience store being robbed. I drove to the nearest pay phone and phoned the police and gave them a description of the vehicle and two males in it, along with a partial licence number. They asked my name and a whole bunch of other questions and told me to wait there and they came down and put me in the police car and searched my vehicle. They then did a complete background search on me and after two weeks they phoned me and said I was cleared in their investigation. Will I report a crime again? Not likely!!
Old 05-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
Before the days of cell phones I witnessed a crime one night on my way to work. It was a convenience store being robbed. I drove to the nearest pay phone and phoned the police and gave them a description of the vehicle and two males in it, along with a partial licence number. They asked my name and a whole bunch of other questions and told me to wait there and they came down and put me in the police car and searched my vehicle. They then did a complete background search on me and after two weeks they phoned me and said I was cleared in their investigation. Will I report a crime again? Not likely!!
Thats Canada.. never had that happen here even though some arrests were made from one of my calls..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #47

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
I appoligize but if I let my camper go down a hill a little over the speed limit is some body going to make a call to the Police? When somebody hires a illegal alien to do yard work in their yard are you going to call the IRS and turn me in? There's going to be a lot of calls being made across America on tattiling on one another. I see your reasoning but if you see me doing something wrong, tell me and get the facts before jumping to conclusions. I wish I had a separate fuel tank just for my generator, maybe he did. On my first DP in 19995 we had a gas gen and a diesel engine, 2 separate tanks. All I'm saying , I'm too busy with my own back yard to worry about your weeds.
You're getting carried away with the example of going over the speed limit a bit. You zip by me doing 90 when the limit is 70, darned right I'm calling the gendarmes. If I know for a fact (and can prove it) someone is employing illegal aliens, again, darned right I'm calling someone, only it would be the INS or, if in Maricopa County, the Sherrif's office.

I used to confront wrongdoers before calling the police but it rarely did any good, no matter how nice I was (or wasn't) and it generally just ticked them off so now I don't waste my time anymore; I just call now.

Even your weed example doesn't wash. You should be concerned about my weeds since they will spread to your yard, could affect your allergies, reduce your property value, etc.

The reason people are getting away with rude behaviors and law breaking is because they know people are too cowardly and/or apathetic to do anything about it.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #48

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
You can't block the police from knowing what number you are calling from any more so than you can block the banks from knowing when you call to verify a new credit card. I have automatic call blocking and when I was setting up a "Telemergency" for my mother, it automatically dialed 911 after the first three numbers didn't answer. I hung up before they answered, but a policeman was at my door within minutes. He even wanted to search my house to see if I was hiding someone else inside that could have called.

Another time I called the non-emergency police number to report a vehicle sitting on the street with cob webs hanging off the tires and no current registration. I did not say who I was or give my number, but I got a call back.
Curious. Everytime I called 911 or Tempe's finest (I had the police emergency number memorized), they asked for the phone number I was calling from (I used to work third shift at Circle K in a bad neighborhood so I called them a lot; I think I knew half the police in Tempe).
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #49

Slick, one time, I rode with my GF's son, who was with the Highway Patrol. He got a call that a woman was on an over-pass threatening to toss her baby off of it. We went there at a high rate of speed to find the police, sheriff and fire department there. The woman was not there. It was a diversion for drug runners or coyotes to distract law enforcement away from the route they were actually using.

The police that did that to you may have suspected the same thing.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Curious. Everytime I called 911 or Tempe's finest (I had the police emergency number memorized), they asked for the phone number I was calling from (I used to work third shift at Circle K in a bad neighborhood so I called them a lot; I think I knew half the police in Tempe).
They know. I think it might be a way to verify, for whatever reason.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Slick, one time, I rode with my GF's son, who was with the Highway Patrol. He got a call that a woman was on an over-pass threatening to toss her baby off of it. We went there at a high rate of speed to find the police, sheriff and fire department there. The woman was not there. It was a diversion for drug runners or coyotes to distract law enforcement away from the route they were actually using.

The police that did that to you may have suspected the same thing.
Your probably right. Good thing I didn't have a record! I don't think they even followed up on the info. I gave them.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #52

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
I pulled into a Conoco station to fuel up and there was another DP in the opposite stall fueling up. I didn't pay too much attention at first but as I waited I glanced over to see him filling with off road red dyed fuel. I made the comment did he know that was off road fuel and he said yep and it's 47 cents a gallon cheaper than the stuff you're pumping. I said well there's a hefty fine if your caught using that fuel and he said no one has ever been stopped and tested while driving a class A coach. I left wondering if he had a Montana LLC too, but Montana LLC's are legal. I'd be afraid to do this for the small amount gained.
here at our stations the off road fuel or farm fuel is all by itself in a stand alone pump...it would be hard to sneak a 40 ft dp in and fill up

but filling 5 gallons jugs for the tractors is easy
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #53
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
You're getting carried away with the example of going over the speed limit a bit. You zip by me doing 90 when the limit is 70, darned right I'm calling the gendarmes. If I know for a fact (and can prove it) someone is employing illegal aliens, again, darned right I'm calling someone, only it would be the INS or, if in Maricopa County, the Sherrif's office.

I used to confront wrongdoers before calling the police but it rarely did any good, no matter how nice I was (or wasn't) and it generally just ticked them off so now I don't waste my time anymore; I just call now.

Even your weed example doesn't wash. You should be concerned about my weeds since they will spread to your yard, could affect your allergies, reduce your property value, etc.

The reason people are getting away with rude behaviors and law breaking is because they know people are too cowardly and/or apathetic to do anything about it.
So true. My hat is off to you for your tenacity.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #54

I'm gonna stay on my side of town.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #55
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
I'm gonna stay on my side of town.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #56

I am waiting for someone with a 2008 or later diesel to ruin their DPF by using high sulphur fuel. That will wipe out the "savings" really fast.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel