Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #1
We are looking at buying an AWARD RV. 1995 - made in Canada, 23', all kinds of extra perks. However, here in OH, we have never heard of the AWARD brand. Nice RV - anyone have any personal experience with this brand?

wndyhill58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
We are looking at buying an AWARD RV. 1995 - made in Canada, 23', all kinds of extra perks. However, here in OH, we have never heard of the AWARD brand. Nice RV - anyone have any personal experience with this brand?

Old 05-03-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

First of all.....Welcome to the site!

Now there is more information required. Is the Award a motorhome? Class A or Class B or Class C?
Is it a travel trailer or a 5th wheel?

Also you can find owner's reviews of specific brands by entering Award RV into the Google search engine.

Welcome aboard. Hope we can help.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 37WDS
2003 Honda Goldwing Trike
CyberVet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
More info a this site.
2002 Triple E Signature A3607GW

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
wndyhill58, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. Good luck on the hunt for the right unit for you. As you can see we are eager to help out with any questions you may have.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:24 PM   #6

Hello windyhill58 and welcome to our site. Glad you joined us.
I have seen the Award T/T at Rv Shows and was very impressed by them. Most are custom made, with just what ever in want in them. They are constructed and well appointed to compete with the Air Stream T/T Their slightly peaked roof and front end makes them more aero-dinamic than all other similar units. Usually built on an aluminum fram construction, their weight makes them very easy to pull. I haven't seen all that many, due to the fact they are custom-made and their price usually reflects it. I beleive them to be superior to most on the market.
The Link by Canuck says it all.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:25 PM   #7

We owned a '95 Award Classic 30 for several years. It was a neat trailer with interior appointments similar to an Airstream. They are light weight and are easy to tow. We towed ours with a V-8 Jeep Grand Cherokee and later a Tahoe. We have lots of fun memories associated with that trailer.

My advice to you would be to check it very very closely for water damage because unless they have been maintained meticulously, they leak. All the joints, the windows, and especially the big front window will leak unless they get a yearly dose of cleaning and resealing.

On the other hand, we have friends who have an Award 27' that they bought new about 12 years ago and it has served them well. Last I heard, it had been to Alaska from Florida 4 or 5 times. My friend is a fanatic about maintenance and keeps the Award in a garage when they're at home.

Award went out of business in the late 90's and was bought out by former employees. They have been back in business for several years making new trailers and repairing old ones. Last I heard, they only sell new or refurbished units direct from the factory in Canada.

There is an Award owners discussion group on Yahoo Groups. I bet you can find out about anything you want to know over there.

I hope this helps.

Good luck,

King of the Road 5th Wheel
Chevy truck
Lee C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:42 AM   #8
We had a 30ft Award for a few years, A quality product, well made, put many miles on it, no problems the reason we got rid of it was that the big bed in the back was against the street side wall and could not get out of bed without disturbing the other person. sounds silly but having ones sleep disturbed does get old. also we were wanting to try a M.H. which is what we now have. Have heard the Award called the poor mans Airstream. A great Coach.
jcarew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
wndyhill58, Welcome to the IRV2 website, glad you found our friendly site. I have seen that particular brand on occasion, not that popular of a travel trailer where we live and that doesn't mean that there is any wrong with that brand just don't know anybody that has one . Ed.S
2005 Newmar Mountain Aire W-24 , 2006 Jeep Commander Limited towed vehicle Newmar Kountry Klub 7284L, Pennsylvania State Directors
Edmund A Skibinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:12 PM   #10
Award 723 - is a 23' travel trailer made in Canada in 1995. Fiberglass body - dry weight is about 3500.
Thanks to everyone for your help - I did look on Yahoo groups as was suggested - unfortunately, I could not find a discussion group.

Thanks again
Old 05-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #11
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
6 or 7 years ago when we were looking for our first TT we looked at one. They are very nice but be careful if you are over 6' tall. I hit my head twice within 5 min looking around in it and decided that it wouldn't work (can't be cussing all the time in the trailer).
1995 BlueBird BMC 37
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
1984 BlueBird Wanderlodge FC35RB-Sold
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:54 PM   #12
The url for the award discussion group is
King of the Road 5th Wheel
Chevy truck
Lee C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 02:30 AM   #13
We owned an Award [1993-30' Classic],bought it new, expecting all the previously mentioned features.
The myth of handling better than other trailers was our biggest dissapointment. Mind you this was the 30 footer--the 27' and the 23' seemed to handle great--according to fellow Award Club members.
Next was the twin beds--they were not even bunk bed size. We totally took the factories word, as that model was not available when we ordered it.
Anyway--upon our second trip to the factory,after complaining about the handling,one of the "technicians" mentioned that some of the 30' Award owners were using two sway bars[friction type] and after installing the second one it did handle as advertized.
In 1993--the frame was galvanized and very light. As I recall --there were a few cases of the frame bending-behind the axles. The factory was not supportative if you had that problem.

The Award was a very good idea but in '93-'95 the factory, or rather, the top dog(Nigel), would not listen to the owners of Awards. Any suggestions for improvements seemed to fall on deaf ears.

I'm sure Dunnesville, Ontario took a beating when the factory closed down.
BobFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:46 PM   #14
The yahoo group id labled award2 here: Award2

I am on my second Award and love them. The new owners in Dunnville are VERY responsive to their new customers. The new Awards are high quality, offer slides, Nevr Lube axels, full body paint over fiberglass, etc. etc. The new Awards are heavier than the older ones, but continue to tow great.

Badger Dave is offline   Reply With Quote