Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #1

Awning 101

Hello, newbie here. I have a 93 Brave that never had an awning installed on it by previous owners. I recently found an old A&E Travel Awn 5000 at a junkyard for $40. Missing the pins that hold bottom of side arms to mounting brackets, one pushbutton to adjust side arm and one rafter release is missing the chrome cover piece. Needs fabric. Otherwise it will work - its already aged for my pre-aged MH.

I've never installed an awning before but I always do my own mechanical work so I'm sure this will be easy once I know what I need to know. My most pressing questions are does anyone know of PDFs for installing this model or owners manuals? Does anybody have one of these they are parting out - I've found the pushbutton gizmo on ebay as well as fabric but the new button is over $20 so I'll probably rig something homemade.

It appears the top castings are mounted backwards because winding the springs the direction it shows makes the roller go the wrong way -I am assuming when you add torsion to these you are winding the spring tighter not unwinding it right? When it says left hand/right hand this means me facing the MH and looking at the awning? LH towards rear/RH towards front of MH? To revearse the top castings is it easier to push/drill out the pin holding it to shaft or should I undo/pull out shaft and reverse the casting/shaft as one piece?

Does anyone know what size lag bolts should be used to install brakets?

When mounting brackets on 93 Brave do you go right thru the side trim at bottom and right thru the awning rail at top?

Lastly, I don't see how this will lock out and hold itself when I unroll the awning - what do you do with this style in order to get rafters in place - does it take two monkeys to set up this awning?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2012, 03:41 AM   #2

Check out:

http://hmcclub.homestead.com/awning_...structions.pdf

Operation & Installation Manuals - Dometic

Old 09-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the info - I emailed them and they sent me the operators manual the next day. Thanks A&E. I can't believe I'm finally gonna have a real awning on the old bomber and for less than $250 total cost. I'm just waiting for the awning material to come (cost about $150) and I need the pins for the bottom yet (Tractors Supply has them). Last year we lost a nice 12 x 12 canopy in the rain at the Halloween camping weekend and 2 weeks ago my redneck canopy flipped over ontop of the sister-in-laws car and bent 3 pieces of 3/4" emt ($3.27 @ HD). I had just taken off the tie-downs and the wind blew in and the rain came down. IMHO beer is the number one necessity when camping because when crap like that happens - and it always does - a cold one helps take away the sting.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Mr Clean: Sorry I didn't see this sooner, I could have saved you a lot of money.

Simply drive I-40 in New Mexico or Arizona in March (any year)...There they are, tons of awnings laying alongside the highway. You will have many choices. lol

Kerry
Old 09-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #5

Did you get all the parts
Old 09-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Where'd you find the awning material? Sounds like a great price...
Old 09-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #7

I found the faric here Quality RV Awning Replacement Fabric - Lowest Price Guaranteed , it was recommended on other posts here.

I almost have all the parts. Still need to fix/jimmy one pushbutton and I'm going to Tractor Supply today to pick up pins for the bottoms of arms to connect to bottom brackets.

A & E had all the documents I needed for the old awning - I just had to ask for them. Some parts are still available but it appears I could make new rollers/torsion springs work on this if needed. At least I didn't have to spend $300 a side for the hardware - aluminum is not cheap.

To the guy who recommends looking for awning on side of highway - I like your idea I know it was a joke but you are talking to a guy who will risk his life running across traffic to pick up bungee cords that fall off other vehicles.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for the link!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Mr Clean: Sorry I didn't see this sooner, I could have saved you a lot of money.

Simply drive I-40 in New Mexico or Arizona in March (any year)...There they are, tons of awnings laying alongside the highway. You will have many choices. lol

Kerry
Another reason to read forum's on this Excellent site ! Last year before our first ever trip to AZ from AR , I spent 0$ and 10 seconds to wrap simple bailing wire (I call it, its electric fence wire good for everything) around the front and back of the rolled up awning, didn't trust the 17 yr old plastic locks. Hey, you really have to look at it to see it,, and it will be there next stop... Maybe white velcro straps next,,, we'll see. Sometimes,,, simple is good !! Now 2 trips across that wind blown America and no problems...

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning