Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #15

King Clark - yes, the guy who hit me and his wife are the managers only; the owner lives in Nevada I think. I have no idea who it is but I am trying to find it via the GIS website for who owns which parcels in this county. I used to be an assessor in NY so I'm familiar with how to look that stuff up. I'm still working on it and what you mentioned is exactly what I expect to have to do if it comes down to it.

TQ60:
Quote:
Also mention the installation crew will be asked to inspect and make as new any part damaged as discovered.
Another great point!!! Never thought of that.... I was thinking their adjuster would make that call but I was having my doubts that they would honestly do that..... I'll do it your way. I'll make that very clear because I DO have issues now with the endcaps on the arms and the way it all locks open... the clips are bent and I am not physically able to stay out there and fight with the damned thing with a screwdriver and needle nose pliers trying to release the clips (esp. in a downpour or heavy winds) just so I can close my awning. It worked just fine before he hit it.

I just bought the trailer this past Sept. so everything was also checked out by my dealership so I have them to back me up if needed. You have some great ideas. Keep'em coming if you think of anything else. I won't be in contact with their insurance till they call me on Tuesday (that's what I was told anyway due to the holiday) so I still have time to get my ducks in a row.
Animalangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2015, 04:12 PM   #16

Well... got another fly in the ointment. Turns out the guy who hit me doesn't have insurance on the RV he hit me with. He bought a second (or third) RV in October and took the insurance off this one to put on the other one.

My insurance won't cover the awning repair/replacement because I have $2,500 deductable (my vehicle won't move so I never expected it to be hit).

The guy who hit me still wants to replace my awning with junk parts he'll have to saw, drill or otherwise "make fit". It's just not right..... still trying to find a cheaper way to get the RIGHT parts from the RIGHT manufacturer.

I don't want to have to resort to small claims court but if I do, he's going to have to pay all the court fees because I shouldn't have to settle for parts that are inferior to what he damaged. I'm pretty sure any judge would take that side as well. It's going to end up costing him a lot more than if he just replaced it with the right stuff in the first place.

I don't understand why he just won't man up. If he wants to put old parts or junk on his vehicle that's fine... but you don't do it to someone elses vehicle when you damage expensive stuff. Geez..... What part of that don't they get?
Old 01-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #17

So he was driving an uninsured vehicle which is lot legal in most states.

You have a case.

AND...LIGHT JUST WENT ON...

You said he is the manager of the facility?

If so management is required to have liability for the facility so you can ask your insurance to go after them...

Or...

Present him with the quote and direct him to make check payable to the vendor and to be prepared to cut check for additiona repairs.

Give him until SUNDAY and be sure he understands that the facility owner or manager will be advised and claim sent.

You can forward this thread to the owner to explain the details.

He may rather pay up and keep his job...
Old 01-24-2015, 05:53 AM   #18

Well.. I need to get the letter from his insurance company saying he wasn't covered so I have proof first. I haven't received it as yet. Until then I have no way to prove it.

He DID admit to his insurance company that he backed into me so I have that in my favor. When his insurance called me the girl said something about the vehicle he hit me with only being "in storage" and I told her well that's not true because he hit me after he took the liability off of it and that he does take it out from time to time even if its just to let the engine run to keep it working.

He told me himself that he hasn't the insurance on it... so that letter from his insurance company will be important. I still need to figure out who the owner of this park is and where that person is out west (I think Nevada).... I'll be working on that today and prepare a letter to the owner.

I was contemplating making a "deal" with this guy... but only out of anger.... I was going to ask him for a sledgehammer or ax and ask him which panel of his $60,000 RV he would like me to beat the crap out of. Then I would go to a junk yard and get some parts of an old school bus and "saw, drill and hammer" it to "make it fit" on his pretty RV. Then if he and his wife were "happy and satisfied" with that and put it in writing, I'd let him put those junk parts on my vehicle. I think that's fair.

What I will likely do is prepare what I can for the owner and/or for small claims court. I'll show him what I've got and let him decide which way he wants to go with it or if he'll just man up and get the right parts from the right place and have it put in by an authorized dealer so it would be under warranty. He'll have to pick one of those 3 choices. (or the one above with the school bus parts).

I can't tell you how this is pissing me off.... and yes, he and his wife manage the place. Liability is REQUIRED to be in this park and they made ME get it and I only have a travel trailer and no vehicle to pull it with. I can't even move my trailer and I needed it. They wouldn't let me on the property without it. How fair is that?

I already presented him with 2 quotes and he said "I'm not paying that!" (ballpark $600). That's why he was looking for junk parts.

I'll ask my insurance about going after the insurance the owner has on the property. Didn't think about that. Thanks...

Ya.... I'm working on this.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:56 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This thread is the most intriguing one I have read on here. I am getting angry at the manager and I know no one involved!
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:30 AM   #20

Hahahahahahaha!!! Imagine how I feel???? I mean...I have arthritis in my shoulders, my back is "collapsing", I have multiple pinched nerves, carpal tunnel in my hands and I've filed for disability and I still think I could do some serious damage to his RV with an ax or a sledgehammer in just 5 minutes if he would agree to it. It could paralyze me permanently but I'd still like that chance. I think it would be worth the attempt to get my point across. I'm THAT pissed.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #21

Quick note: I did find the information on the owners of the park (They are in Washington State, not Nevada) and have that in hand. Now I'm trying to see if there's a way to find out how to find out who the property is insured with but I may have to ask the manager or contact the owners; I really don't think I can do that on-line.

What I want to do is provide the manager with "options" for the repair of my awning with actual Carefree of Colorado manufactured parts that fit and don't need "modification" and have it installed so it's under warranty. I DO want the fabric replaced as well since he scraped that up too. The managers own two (but I think three from things he said) RV's so clearly they can afford the $600 to replace my awning without much problem. I'm just getting a hard time because I'm a woman and don't have any men around to argue for me.

My plan is to use this vehicle as a trade for a Class A (preferable) or Class C (second/last choice). I need the repair to be done with all the same system parts in order to retain as much value as I can when I trade it, not to mention it would be the right thing to do in the first place.

Anyway, I know who the owners are now. Perhaps mentioning that I intend to contact them for their property insurance information will light a fire under these folks..... outside of this issue, the management here are really very nice people.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:58 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wonder about a call to the local enforcement office, I know you are private property and that they probably cannot do anything but perhaps the could give you some helpful insight toward solving your problem. Also I think I'd start checking out the small claims court, this is damage caused by someone else toward your property, he needs to be held accountable as we all are.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #23

Go down to your county courthouse(or on-line) and look up the owner of the property...it's public record. Contact the owner directly, tell him/her the story and ask for their "park" insurance company name. Go from there and in the mean time go ahead and tell numbnuts you are going to file your small claim in court unless he pays you the $600. The filing fee is minimal and you will want to get on the docket asap if he refuses to pay you.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #24

Well.... I have another update. Boy oh boy....

His insurance rep called me and said that she's been trying to get ahold of him and he only returns her calls "after hours".

She has questions she needs to clarify with him and he is not cooperating. She said he claims he will make the repairs himself and she wanted to see if he really did say that. I said "Oh yes, he did" and then I went on to explain how he wants to only replace the roller with a piece he took off some old vehicle someplace that needs to be sawed down and drilled, etc. I told her how the awing is scraped up and the color and finish are gone where his vehicle pinched the scalloped edge against the roller as he bent the roller and how he says he is NOT replacing that. I also told her that to be able to close my awning now in high winds, I have to use a hammer and screwdriver to release the clips that hold the arms out- I didn't have to do that before and that I also have to hand roll it up to the trailer because with the bend, it won't go by itself anymore. (tension roller)

I told her I wanted it replaced with the proper parts by the correct manufacturer and that I should not have to settle for junk parts that need to be modified to fit. What if 2 months down the road it won't roll up anymore? I won't have any recourse. She said she understands.

She's going to keep trying to get him on the phone over the next couple days and then she'll call and let me know the status on Friday. At that point I will request a "letter of non-cooperation" be sent to him and the week after that I NEED an answer - either it will be replaced or it won't at which time I expect a letter stating why they won't replace it if that is the outcome so I can move on to the next step.

I have to pay next months rent by the end of this week and I will let the managers know that my insurance has told me that my next step would be to contact the owners out of state for assistance via their insurance if their policy might have coverage for this type of thing. Perhaps just mentioning this will make them finally do the right thing.

I really don't know why they are not willing to fix this the correct way. "You break it, you buy it." You don't cob-job a cheap fix. Why are they making this so difficult?

Side note: I do not have a motor vehicle at all so getting to the court house would require a long, arduous bicycle ride. I don't really want to have to go to that point but that would be in line after the owners insurance says they can't fix it - IF I have to go to THAT point. One step at a time.... I will call the court house and see what I would need to do just in case...maybe getting on the docket now would be a good idea as I could cancel it if they man up in the meantime.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:34 PM   #25

Call the state office that regulates rv parks in your state and ask about insurance requirements and general requirements.

You may be able to do most on line.

They likely are required to have insurance and they may not be able to attempt a discount option.

Second issue while there is confirm license requirements for folks performing the work.

If he wishes to do the install the vslue of install may be such that it requires license to do as he is not doing it for himself but for others for pay...not having to pay is same thing.

At this point it is best to contact owners and direct them to this thread as it documents very well with a timeline what you have been through.

Do not give up hope as the park owners are likely to be covered well and the BBB also can make some noise too.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:02 AM   #26

Hm...."state office that regulates rv parks".... I didn't know there was one. I'm in Florida. I'll see what I can find.

My insurance rep (from my insurance) is guiding me in the steps to go through as far as what his insurance company is doing... THEY are working with me, HE is not.

His insurance has all the information I gave them on the closest authorized dealership and all the part numbers, etc. for my awning. They are all ready to cut a check but they need more info from him (verifications) before they will even tell me if he was covered or not on the date of the accident.
Again, HE says he isn't/wasn't covered.

I am praying to God that he's just bluffing because he doesn't want his insurance to go up with all the vehicles they have. (2 cars, couple of road scooters, 3 RV's.... the roller he is trying to give me is off one of his RV's he said... and it's not on this property - the other 2 RV's ARE on this property so I'm guessing he has 3, maybe more.)

My rep used to work in the commercial area of insurance and she isn't sure the owners of the property would have any riders or anything like that to cover property damage to renters on the property so that's why she said I would need to ask them if their insurance would be able to "help me". I don't want to attack them when it shouldn't really even be their concern in the first place but I can ask nicely. She has had some businesses, in her own experience, that did carry that kind of coverage and some that didn't.

Since it's not even 5 am here yet, later I will see about the state offices that regulate RV parks and see what they have to say about insurance and general requirements on the properties.

Regarding the manager making the "repairs" (if you want to call it that) to my vehicle, it's not just whether or not the guy is "licensed" to perform such repairs.... there's the inferior used parts he wants to cut up to fit my vehicle. My question to that is: What if all of a sudden I can't roll up my awning anymore 2 months down the road? Is he going to replace it and repair it again at no charge or would I be stuck being responsible for the cob job at THAT time?

And, what if I WERE able to drive this thing around.... say I go up to Wisconsin to meet some people on my "places to visit list" and the awning craps out on me. Is he going to come up there and fix it for free? Will he have someone in the area who can replace or repair it free?

In other words, what kind of warranty will I get with his junk replacement parts and his work? NONE. I already know that. This is not going to work on so many levels its not funny. I'm just trying to protect my own interests, I'm not trying to screw him over. I don't think he' gets that.

I'm not giving up hope... I'm just really afraid they'll make it hard for me to stay here and I really have no place to go and no way to get there. I'm a good tenant and I really like this location. I just want my awning fixed and to be left alone to continue living right where I am. Is that too much to ask?

I'm not certain if it's him or his wife or a combination of the two who are being hard-headed about this but I have to pay my rent on Friday so I'll try to reason with her. She seems like a reasonable person....... I just hope I'm right. I get the impression she wears the pants in that family but I'm not sure.

By the way, I'm not speaking to these people as if I'm mad at them or the situation. I'm continuing to be very pleasant and considerate. I'm not one to express anger easily.... I am, however, a stickler to a fault about things being fair. I'm adamant to do it "the right way" and within all legal limits because I want to make sure I "dot all my i's and cross all my t's" so I have a good, solid case if I need it. Slow and easy wins the race..... It took me 9 months and 5 hearings (no lawyer) to finally be awarded a paltry amount of unemployment (one time lump sum)... I can do this.

WHOA..... I just realized something...... yesterday my neighbor pointed out an RV down the park from me.... there was a guy sitting in a chair facing his RV. The awning was off. She said "he must be replacing his awning"...... I'll bet that's the other RV the managers own... I know they have a relative here and that might be where the guy is staying.... it's a Class C vehicle.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #27

My license statement is to help you avoid him...

Insurance adjusters can select cheapest option and you get stuck with it.

Been there...

So this guy could claim that he can do suitable repair for less and may be allowed to do so against your will.

Not likely to happen but a possibility.

Call this another "DUCK" to place in the row...

It could get sticky if the person was on his own time...so action may not have been for benifit of company...but to counter that one may assume company frowns on employees driving uninsured vehicles...if said rv has touched roadway then it needs insurance in most states.

If it only putts around rv park state may not care but company may.

Look at your contract and see what it states about insurance requirements for vehicles on the property...another duck...
Old 01-29-2015, 06:00 AM   #28

Well.... I told his adjuster exactly what his plans were to replace my roller. That it's with old parts from another RV, not the same manufacturer as what my awning is now, that the parts he "found" need to be sawed down, drilled, etc, to make them fit, etc. That is entirely unacceptable even if he IS able to do the work. I should not have to settle for junk parts for any reason.

If they try to force me to let him make the repairs (he's real putz too because he "helped" me fix my kitchen floor in here and IN MY OPINION he only had a vague clue about how to do it but I am also a perfectionist so.....) then I'll be certain to let them know that when the parts and workmanship fail in the future (and they very likely would) that THEY will be facing a lawsuit for forcing me into a position where I had no choice but to accept the less-than-desirable option leaving me, once again (at time of system failure) without a proper awning system. I can't see them letting that happen but I will certainly keep it in the back of my mind for future reference. I would have no problem at all taking the insurance company to court because what happens with them would not impact my living here or being kicked out. Thank you.

The vehicle he was driving was his person vehicle for personal reasons and he does take it out on the road about once a month or so. There is no company vehicle. The guy is the maintenance man here and was just fiddling with his own vehicle (which he does ALOT) when he took it out. They seem to have no "set hours" because they live here in a block built building on the other side of their RV. If you need something, you ring the office doorbell and it rings into their apartment upstairs. The wife is the actual manager, he just putz's around and mows the lawn, snakes the septic lines, etc. when there is an issue, that kind of thing.

Tags
awning, replace, replacement