Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2015, 05:55 PM   #57

How long is that awning? I might be interested in the fabric............

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2015, 09:39 PM   #58

The insurance company may require it back.

Rare but it happens.

Ask the person doing the work what happens to the old materials.

If is states they get tossed in trash tell him you would like to keep the fabric for replacement later.

if he offers it to you give him a dollar and tell him you bought it for that dollar.

Tell NOBODY...

Park manager who caused damage may think it is his since his insurance paid.

No it belongs to the insurance company until they release it.

If contractor does not need to return it it is HIS and you buy it for a buck it then is yours...not the park guy's.

Do this AS SOON AS HE GETS THERE as it makes a difference in how he removes it...dismount instead of cutting.

The tube can be cut and used for table legs fence posts or whatever.

If you decide to sell awning cover or store it it is upto you.

Some get stiff and are hard to fold so depending on condition that may not be feasable.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #59

MOTOR7:

The fabric itself is 16 feet long by 8 feet wide (not counting the scalloped part). I just went out and measured it. It's in pretty good shape too. It is VINYL, in case that makes a difference to you.

I'm not quite sure if they'll be replacing the arms or not, they might just put on a whole new system to save time rather than checking "this and that and the other thing" since mine won't be the only job they'll be doing that day.

The "arms" when closed are 78 inches from top to bottom. I'll go out and lower the awning to get a shot of the top surface a bit later today. It's called "silver" but to me it looks to have a greenish hue to it. There is only one "pin hole" and I do mean PIN hole... tiny thing, nothing leaks from it, above the door to the bedroom. The rest is pretty pristine. I have no idea the age of it.

I'll be certain to ask if I can keep it "as a spare" in case I ever need it if you are sure you are interested.

TQ60:

Got it! Thanks for the info! I won't tell a soul and I'll be sure to ask before they start work if I can "keep" it!
Old 02-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #60

As promised, here are a couple more shots of the awning so you can see the top and where the pin holes are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning (full) 005.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	87077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning (full) 006.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	87078  

Name:	Awning (full) 010.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	87079  
Old 02-26-2015, 07:49 AM   #61

Yes, if you can ask to keep all of it, frame/roller/fabric. That aluminium roller & frame is worth $ at the scrap yard.

As for that fabric, I have to measure, but I think mine is 18' long....I'll let you know today.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #62

Ok, thanks. Let me know about the fabric when you can. They won't be here until Monday anyway.

Thanks for the idea about selling the metal parts! I could really use the money if they'll let me have them. Just have to figure out what to cut them up with so I can tow them in my little wagon on the back of my bike.

I can't afford to buy anymore new tools but I have a couple little saw here. Not hack saws but they might work if they'll cut through metal.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:17 AM   #63

I then words of Gilda Radner........."Nevermind"

Mine is 18', so maybe someone else might be interested in it, or you could put it on Craigslist. You may want to roll it up and keep it as a spare...never know when a branch or coconut might come crashing through your new one ....you are in the Vortex you know
Old 02-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #64

Ah... .well, nobody will want it now anyway. It's ripped NOW.

I had my awning tipped so it would drain the rain that collected in the billowed part but because of the bend in the roller it still collected some and the weight of the water apparently was bending the roller just a little bit more and I didn't notice it.

I went out to lower the one end even further and instead of lowering, it completely ripped off the trailer when the roller folded in half where it was bent.

Then the guy who hit me causing the original damage just happened to be walking by and saw it ripped off my trailer.

I'll be calling the insurance company on Monday to let them know in case he tries to cause even more problems saying I let it fill up on purpose and I DID NOT.

I had it lowered at the back end but it wouldn't drain completely because HE bent my damned roller making a "swimming pool" in the awning fabric.

Why the hell does this stuff happen to me????? The Vortex.... black hole... devil's triangle.... call it what you will, it got me surrounded!!!

Thank goodness the repair guys are coming on Monday. We're going to have to caulk or otherwise repair where the arm attachment attaches to the top of my trailer too.... half of it's pulled out and the rusty screw is out of the hole. Could cause a leak. It raining right now, in fact.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	collapsed awning 002.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	87349   Click image for larger version

Name:	collapsed awning 004.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	87351  

Old 02-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #65

Get some tape over it.

Duck tape or even a band aid will work.

Chewing gum if nothing else...
Old 02-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #66

Good Grief....your new irv2 handle is now "Queen of the Vortex".....
Old 03-01-2015, 06:51 AM   #67

Woke up to what appears might be a break in the rain. Soon as we get a little further into the day and I'm done with my coffee (and the sun comes through- if that's its plan) I'll go see if I can find a ladder to get up there and take a look at my new leak issue and cover it up, fill it in or otherwise block it somehow.

"Queen of the Vortex"..... story of my life!!!! Good thing I have a great sense of humor or I don't know what I where I'd be right now.

So.... where'd you get that cute little (and also very accurate) "kick me" emoji? I could use that.....

I'm thinking, too, that I might just use that now destroyed vinyl awning for laying on when I get under my trailer (specifically between the black and grey tanks where the black tank has overflowed a few times) to research, measure and make repairs. My only other option is a black lawn and leaf bag. The vinyl awning would be bigger and much more "protective" if you catch my drift.

Oh... and yep.... that thing that was half pulled out of the top of my trailer by its rusty screws certain IS causing a hell of a leak INSIDE the trailer. It was raining so hard yesterday after the awning came down that I could actually hear the water dripping INSIDE the wall.

Which brings me to another question since I have your attention.

Where do I find this white, (seemingly) self-sticking, flexible plastic/rubber... um... hmm.... not sure what you call it.... they put it along the ceiling, floor and corner joints.... see photos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gasket stuff 001.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	87433   Click image for larger version

Name:	gasket stuff 003.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	87434  

Old 03-01-2015, 07:46 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, you could go to the hardware store, get a tube of caulk, just to stop the leak till the repair guys get there and put up your new awning! When is the last time you had the seams on the roof sealed? Might be a good time to get some eterna-bond or dicor and do that too! I think you are referring to silicone or caulk to fill in the corners? Rail!
PS. see the [more] at the bottom of the emogies, click on that, it will bring up many more!!
Old 03-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #69

Be sure to discuss this with your insurance company.

If this would have been repaired it woukd not have happened.

If it was not damaged it would not have happened.

With the bent roller you could not roll it in.

You could have just poked a drain hole in the middle but that would have been adding damage to it....

This damage is directly related to the bent roller and the delays to repair it all caused by other parties whose insurance is on the hook.

Be sure to call them on it tomorrow if not now as many have 24x7 claims response.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:42 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Be sure to discuss this with your insurance company.

If this would have been repaired it woukd not have happened.

If it was not damaged it would not have happened.

With the bent roller you could not roll it in.

You could have just poked a drain hole in the middle but that would have been adding damage to it....

This damage is directly related to the bent roller and the delays to repair it all caused by other parties whose insurance is on the hook.

Be sure to call them on it tomorrow if not now as many have 24x7 claims response.
^yep

Google "emoticons photobucket" and you will have about a hundred pages of quite interesting one's to browse through. Save the one's you want to a emoticon folder and you can insert them just like you do a photo here on the forum by using the PB "direct link".

Tags
awning, replace, replacement