Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2015, 07:18 AM   #71

guardrail53:

Quote:
Well, you could go to the hardware store, get a tube of caulk, just to stop the leak till the repair guys get there and put up your new awning! When is the last time you had the seams on the roof sealed? Might be a good time to get some eterna-bond or dicor and do that too! I think you are referring to silicone or caulk to fill in the corners?
I already had caulk in a caulk gun. I did go up and seal the roof about 3 weeks ago... did a really good job too because I seem to have repaired a leak on the other side of the bedroom that was there when I bought it.

I went out and removed the broken part with the rusty screws that were half pulled out where this new leak was coming from and caulked the crap out of it. Should be ok now till the guys get here to make the repairs.

The rubber/plastic self-adhesive stripping in the photos of my last post are for the inside corners for a more finished look. I will need to replace some of it and want it to be the same as the stuff that is original to the trailer.

I do click on "more" at the bottom of the emoji box to the right but it doesn't have that many other ones to choose from...

TQ60:

I did call the other guys insurance company (my awning issue began when it was hit by the manager here at the park I'm in) and informed them of the additional damage now. The rep I've been in contact with throughout this whole mess was fine with it.

I told her they were supposed to come do the repairs last week Wednesday but due to scheduling conflicts, they had to reschedule to today but that I have not heard from them yet as to what time they might be arriving.

I explained how this new issue happened and that I was calling to let her know (she'll be the one approving the costs of all of this) that more parts will now be needed for the repairs. I also mentioned that I now have a leak INSIDE the trailer from where the attachment part ripped out of my trailer.

She was going to call the awning repair folks and give them a heads up on the additional work and parts that will be needed for the repair. Still waiting for them to call me with todays appt time or to ask for more specific part information.

And yes, I took LOTS of pictures in case I need them.

Motor7:

Oh yah.... I'm on it!!!!

Quote:
Google "emoticons photobucket" and you will have about a hundred pages of quite interesting one's to browse through. Save the one's you want to a emoticon folder and you can insert them just like you do a photo here on the forum by using the PB "direct link".
Ok... I'll go see what I can find! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Damage after awning came down 009.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	459.9 KB
ID:	87530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Damage after awning came down 004.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	87531  

Name:	Damage after awning came down 013.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	384.3 KB
ID:	87532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Damage after awning came down 008.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	87533  

Animalangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2015, 09:44 AM   #72

I got the date wrong.... they will be here on March 3rd, which is tomorrow, not today, to repair/replace my awning.

They are bring an entire new Carefree of Colorado system and extra caulk, etc, since they are now aware that my current awning has been ripped from my trailer.

I'm going to be the first job of three that they do tomorrow and they are expected here around 9 - 9:30 am.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #73

Good...I'm glad you did not get and hopefully tomorrow afternoon you will be and there will be no more of this or this
Old 03-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #74

Talking

Ok..... I have a new awning and it's awesome. I love it!!!

It only took the two guys who came about an hour to install it. I was told I could keep ALL the parts of the old awning and so I did. I have cut away the fabric and have it draped over my tire on the back bumper to dry out (it was full of water from the rain) and I now only have to cut up the metal to put into my bike trailer to take and sell at the salvage yard. I'll probably take it over the weekend or maybe even on Monday. It's going to be about a 9 mile round trip on my bike with a 35 lb trailer (that's the empty weight) and I have to make a trip on Thursday about that far (but in a different direction) for an appointment. I can't go that distance on consecutive days....or even in the same 72 or so hour period. I need to rest and recharge in between bike trips.

ANYWAY, do you think a carbide tipped blade will cut through that aluminum roller? And the steel arms? Its the only blade I have and I really do need to cut it up so I can transport it.

Since I'll be away a good portion of the day on Thursday, I'll take photos of all the parts so that if any "go missing" while I'm away, I can turn it in as theft to the police dept. I'm going to try to cut it and pile it in the trailer and have it ready to go for when I think my legs can take it.

On a rather "amusing" note.... sort of, the managers here have found a way to inspect my new awning (that their insurance paid for) in what I'm certain they thought was an undetectable, sneaky way.

As you know, their RV is next to mine and they are on the side where my awning is, since they are the ones who hit it. Well... they have very dark tinted windows in their RV and they have blinds on those windows which I can clearly see from my seat here on the couch. Their back windows are just to the right of my TV set so IF they can see me inside here, they'd just think I'm watching TV while I can watch them and that's what happened.

I was watching TV and noticed "movement" in the glass of their windows. I kept seeing movement in there (no blinds) and at first I thought it might be reflection of the road on the other side of my trailer but I determined after about 5 minutes, that it was, in fact, not a reflection. I moved to the right just a little bit and I could actually see through to the windows on the other side and I saw the woman in there (her hair cut has an easily noticeable silhouette) and I clearly made out someone wrapping up an electrical cord.

I got up to use the bathroom and when I got back to my seat on the couch, the blinds were down and closed again. Silly people......

When the awning repair guys took my awning out of the packaging this morning, I heard one of them say "This is going to look nice!" and I have to admit, I absolutely LOVE it!!!!! They replaced every single part of the whole awning system right down to the nuts and bolts and they used silicone to insure there wouldn't be any leaks anywhere. I'm really quite happy with it.

I've attached a 4th photo here - this how much the roller bent from the small amount of water that pooled Saturday that tore the awning off my trailer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NEW AWNING 3-3-2015 002.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	87645   Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW AWNING 3-3-2015 004.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	87646  

Name:	NEW AWNING 3-3-2015 005.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	87647   Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW AWNING 3-3-2015 008.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	381.6 KB
ID:	87648  

Old 03-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #75

Newmar Owners Club
Glad your journey is finally over, and that all was done as you wanted. Best of luck in your future camping.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:59 PM   #76

Awning roller replacement question

Carbide is perfect for aluminum, lube your saw with a little wax (parafin) or some wd40 and it will cut easier.

FYI if you can remove any steel so it's clean aluminum it will be worth more than if there are steel bolts attached.
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:08 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Be sure to pull the end cap assemblies so the steel springs can be separated but be careful if any tension was left in the springs. Unbolt hardware and remove it first.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:14 AM   #78

99-Am.Star:

Thank you, so much! I'm glad this travesty is finally at an end as well!!!

Fl_Richard:

My saw is brand new and I've only tested it for a total of about 3 minutes on some soft plywood (plunge cut) because I'm also redoing my kitchen and bath floors. It still shouldn't need to be lubricated, should it?

Also....I have been removing the bolts and stuff that I can but how do you pull apart the rivet type things? They act as hinges for where the roller attached to the caps at the end of my awning arms. I'm trying to separate everything that I can and I'll cut the parts I need to down today.

RV Wizard:

Those are already out! One of the springs broke but the other, HOLY MOLEY that thing unwound in a hurry!!! Did that on Saturday when the awning came down off the trailer. Nobody got hurt! We're good!

So.... the only thing I have to add here now is that the manager who hit the awning causing the damage in the first place came over here last night asking about removing the old/damaged awning parts for me. Um.... no.

I already cut up the awning. I have one part that I can lay on if I need to get under my trailer for any reason. I have a large section that I have placed on the ground outside my doors to walk on because it's all dirt there from the last resident who lived on this lot and I kept bringing in the dirt. I cut out two more large pieces and they are now "covers" for my wheels on both sides of the trailer. He did not seem pleased.

Then he asked if I wanted him to take care of all the old metal parts....um... no again. I told him that my TN neighbors have offered to take me in their van with my metal parts (which I will be cutting down today) to sell at the local salvage/recycling yard. Again, he was not a happy camper.

I was planning to take them in the little wagon I have that I pull behind my bicycle but the neighbors offered and I'm a bit concerned about the neighborhood where the salvage place is and riding on a bike alone through the area so when they offered I accepted.

All I can say is that after all the crap he gave me, trying to talk me into allowing him to put inferior used parts that may or may not even work (or work for very long) on my trailer, the lies about being covered by his insurance, INSULTING my trailer - the only thing I have on this entire earth to my name, THREATENING me (I"m still waiting for that ax to fall on my head), and all the grief he gave me after I gave him over 2 months to make the repairs on his own before I called his insurance company (total time waiting for new awning was a little over 3 months) to the point where my awning actually ripped off my trailer, there is no way in hell I'd be giving him the damaged parts so HE can make money off them. I don't even know how he could ask such a question. It's just not right.

The photos show my re-use of the old vinyl awning fabric.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	awning reuse 001.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	87696   Click image for larger version

Name:	awning reuse 002.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	87697  

Old 03-04-2015, 06:28 AM   #79

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Been following the thread since, well for a while, Sorry for all you've been through and really glad you got things going your way now.

Be sure to bring that new awning in during really bad weather and keep one arm down as you never know when it may rain in Florida.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:36 AM   #80

Fleetwood Owners Club
I too am glad that this is over for you. As mentioned above it will be best if you separate the steel, etc. from the aluminum for a better price. A helpful hint, that you may know already, is to use a magnet to tell the difference in the metals. A magnet will not adhere to aluminum but it will steel. I would imagine most of the awning parts are aluminum. Aluminum price where I live is a about 50 cents a pound currently.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:51 PM   #81

Ta Da!

Muy Bueno!
Old 03-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #82

Yes for cutting aluminum with carbide you want to lube it. Wax is best.

The first thing I do with a new carbide blade when cutting aluminum is wax it before the first cut.

Carbide is the key word. If it just a steel bladed hacksaw you could probably omit the wax.. I'd still give it a shot of wd40
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #83

Thanks everybody! I sure am glad that whole debacle is over with!!!!

As for the old awning parts.... well... I was able to cut the aluminum roller 3 times but just as I was finishing that 3rd cut (had planned to make 4) the screw thing holding the blade on the saw snapped INSIDE the saw. That ended THAT project.

I called Rockwell and they are sending me a new "one time courtesy" replacement saw and a return label for this one, however I have to pay the shipping which is $12.64.

As for using WD-40 or waxing the blade, NOW I know that you meant to use it when cutting and not to just lube the saw. Too late.....

I did not have it too tight or too loose... I finger tightened it and then did a 1/4 turn with the Allen wrench like it said in the pamphlet that came with it. I don't know what happened.....

I did have the stuff all separated and removed the plastic or other parts that weren't metal from them.

ANYWAY, my neighbors took me and all the metal parts to the recycling place and I walked away with $18.75. It was more than we all expected. So.... pretty good all things considered.

According to my receipt here, the iron (springs) pays at $5.50 CW (whatever that is) and I got 81 cents because they said they only weighed 11 g (that's what I saw on the scale too) and the aluminum was paid out at $.46 lb and I had 225 g. Not sure what the "g" stands for but it came to $17.94 = $18.75. I'm good with it.

As for the new awning WIZARD - I roll it up when the winds are more than 12 mph even if its sunny and always have the back side tipped down for roll off in case of rain. (Did that with the old one too.)

Tags
awning, replace, replacement