Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2015, 05:49 PM   #1

Awning roller replacement question

Back on Nov. 21, 2014, one of the managers here in the park where I currently live full time in my travel trailer, backed into my open awning bending the roller and scraped the color off on the scalloped edge of my fabric.

They were having a hard time trying to find a replacement roller (I guess he has no intention of replacing anything else) so I got the numbers off my Carefree of Colorado system and contacted the dealer that handles them and they said my awning is a 17 footer. They gave me the links to the replacements, yada, yada, yada.

I gave that information to the guy today and about 2 hours later he brings over a roller that appears to be a cheap dometic roller. They got one at 16.5 feet.

I am a female and I am really not good about confrontation or being assertive or anything..... I also don't qualify to live here but they accepted me anyway so I don't want to make waves. I also do not have a vehicle to move my trailer with either and can't afford to pay anybody, nor are there any places open this time of year here in Florida. So...... I really don't know how to handle this without making it harder for myself to stay here (again, with no place to go and no way to get there).

My question is: Are the rollers inter-changable between manufacturers? I can't believe he's trying to replace it with a cheap one....

Will it make a difference?

I was always taught that if you borrow something, break something or lose something that belongs to someone else; you replace it (or whatever) with the SAME or BETTER.

Apparently he's not going through his insurance to do this and I'm wondering if I should talk to my insurance people about it.

I really don't know what to do..... any suggestions? THANKS!!! (I've only had my unit since Sept. 2014 and this is all completely new to me.)
Animalangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2015, 07:56 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Without being right there, and seeing what you have and what they brought, I'm going to say no. Even the same manufacturer, different models won't interchange.

As far as not wanting to make waves, that's bull. You did nothing wrong, they're the ones that hit your awning.

Tell them to get it fixed with the right stuff. And don't say anything else. It's kind of a long elapsed time since it happened, but you might still be able to make a police report? Call your insurance?

I'm not there, don't have all the information, so I'm a little out of it, but I know I wouldn't take this kind of crap. Make them fix it, there are avenues for you to take to get it repaired.

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I hate dealing with Carefree...won't take phone orders, won't send parts to a retail customer, must use a dealer, parts take a long time (six weeks for me), etc. However, I doubt Dometic parts will work.

Agree with BigBlockFrank...stand up to them, you are in the right.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #4

Call your insurance company and let them confront the other dude...that's their job, too.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
Call your insurance company and let them confront the other dude...that's their job, too.

Tim
I think this is a good idea. It will let those at fault know that they need to step up and get it repaired correctly and keep any confrontation to a minimum.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:34 AM   #6

Thanks everybody for your timely responses. I have an update and it's NOT good. What he's done is removed and awning roller from yet a third RV that he owns to use to replace my Carefree by Colorado. It's too long. He's talking about sawing it down and drilling holes in the roller to make it fit and then talking about replacing the ends of my awning with the old ones from his other RV (where he got the awning from) so it will work on mine. Then he said something about drilling into my current awning arms for some other reason.... this guy is a cheap nutcase.

I did call my insurance and filed a claim at 8:30 am EST this morning at the insistence of some of the folks here in the park and as mentioned by one of the nice folks who replied to this thread.

I'm going to try to hold this guy off of doing anything to the roller for as long as I can so my insurance company can get out here and check it out. I do also have photos.

Boy oh boy..... this is worse than I thought. Let's just saw and drill stuff to make it fit is NOT the way to go on an expensive system. Might as well used duct tape to fix a car muffler with a hole. Geez Louise!!!!!!

Ok... I got him to hold off on his patch job but he's not happy. He says he "NOT PAYING $600 to replace my whole awning". I told him I have a call in to my insurance company to see if they can help me out a bit but it's going to be about 48 hours till someone gets back to me. So..... it's all on hold for now. I just hope I won't get thrown out of here for this.....
Old 01-16-2015, 10:02 AM   #7

What actually touched your awning?

Did it have a licence plate?

If it does it should be insured...simple.

Consider this same as fender bender and get the license plate number to your insurance company along with a simple document from the awning manufacturer with replacement cost for awning parts and labor provided by local installer.

Manufacturer should have servicing dealers in your area so this is STUPID SIMPLE.

Your insurance files claim against his and a check is cut.

Be sure you bring up all the stupid stuff and just be clear to your insurance that you expect to be made whole with ONLY manufacturer providrf NEW parts installed be manufacturer AUTHORIZED providers.

Simple call.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:04 AM   #8

Why are you not allowed there?

Should not matter.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:06 AM   #9

Write a letter advising him to NOT TOUCH YOUR PROPERTY until directed BY YOU.

Hand it to him with witness or have him sign a copy for you.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:44 PM   #10

Another update. My insurance folks were able to dig up his insurance carrier by the license plate number on his Class A RV, the one he backed into my awning with during a blind side back and using incorrect "landmarks" and not getting out to look and see where he was. He used to drive tractor trailers (as did I) so this makes me wonder what kind of driver he was. The first thing they teach you is to "get out and look" (GOAL).

Anyway, I have now filed a claim with my insurance company and his. My deductible is too high so looks like his company will be responsible for this. He is NOT happy and, of course, neither am I. He actually came right out and said to me "I am NOT paying $600 to fix your awning". I sent my insurance company the photos of the damage to my awning and photos of his RV with only the paint scratched off his drivers side corner.

He is not touching my awning. I would not agree to the job he was going to do with parts that looked older than me (I'm 59), my travel trailer is a 2003 and in otherwise very nice shape. It was very well kept by the previous owners and in storage more than it was used.

I should hear from his insurance company by the end of business on Tuesday (Monday is a holiday).

In filing my claim with them, I also gave his insurance the make, model and part numbers of my current awning that is damaged. I then also gave them the information on the two quotes I got for the cost of parts and repair with original parts (Carefree of Colorado). Naturally they are looking at the cheapest one ($607). I'll find out more on Tuesday. (Today is Friday)

As for why I am not "supposed" to be here.... I do not meet the qualifications for residency in this long-term RV park. In fact, I don't even qualify to live in Section 8 housing (I tried before I bought the trailer at the very last minute) so it would be very easy for them to toss me out, except for the fact that I do pay my rent every month on time. I also have more cats than is allowed here (4 - but they are indoor only so this should have no effect on anyone but me). They may have discovered that fact by now but that means they would have been looking in my windows.

Anyway, I'm only in here on a month-to-month basis so they could toss me for any reason they want. Some of the other RV'ers might stand up for me though. Everybody knows he hit me (they all heard the crash) and have come to see the extent of the damage. Also I don't bother anybody. I'm pretty quiet and I stay to myself.

I know they are not happy with me and if this gets "personal" I'll have to take it a bit further. I just don't want to do that so it's a bit unnerving to know the possibility exists that I might not have a choice.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:21 PM   #11

You have things under control for now great news.

Your insurance is just representing your interests and 100% of cost is on the party that hit you.

Your deductible is not relevant as you are not at fault.

Insurance companies will not always fight for your best interest so be sure to review the statement of work BEFORE accepting it.

Advise the insurance claims adjuster that the statement of work will be sent to the manufacturer for review and that the installer performing the work MUST be factory authorized to do ALL of the work so the full manufacturer warranty is in force.

You also should request check is cut to manufacturer and they sub it out as that gives you best result...usually.

Do NOT let them ship the parts to your location and then just call someone to do the work.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:34 AM   #12

Ok..... thanks Tony and Lori. Since his insurance company was focusing on the cheapest quote I was given (Included S&H and install from the dealership where I bought the Trailer) they'll likely contact them.

That being the case, I did send an email to my salesman (he's the one who came up with the quote) to tell him to expect a call and to double check his figures.

I wrote that I want to be certain to get all original NEW Carefree of Colorado parts and that installation would have to be done here on site as I have no vehicle to bring it in with so they might charge extra for that and I told the other guys insurance that as well.

I also said he'd need to get an itemized listing of parts and costs ready and that he'd likely hear from somebody on Tuesday, Jan. 20 or so. I have not yet heard back from him but he's spending the weekend at the big RV show on the Florida State Fairgrounds outside of Tampa so I know he's pretty busy.

I totally expect the awning to be installed by someone authorized to do so (I will check with the dealership to make sure they are authorized by the manufacturer but they likely are). I'm not going to allow anyone unqualified to touch it. Especially not the guy who hit me. I do want a warranty as well so I'll have to ask my salesman about that when I hear back from him.

I'll be sure to tell the adjuster all that you mentioned as well. We don't have a manufacturer near here so I'm not sure how they would pay them and then sub the work out but that's a great idea.... that way I'd be certain to not get cheaper parts from the dealer in place of what I want. Not that I don't trust them but.... I don't trust a whole lotta people these days. LOL!

In the meantime, I'll make a list of all the parts that are affected so I can have it ready when the adjuster actually gets here. I don't want to miss anything.

Thanks for the ideas and the suggestions and help. Hopefully we'll get this wrapped up soon.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:05 AM   #13

Different path

On the getting kicked out part I would have to ask if the guy that hit your unit is the owner of the park or an employee? If an employee he would put his job on the line if he decided to throw you out. He knew you did not "qualify" when he let you in and even though it might seem vindictive you may need to remind him of this IF he gives you notice. If notice shows up then I would send a letter to the owner and explain the facts of why you were being told to leave. I would not include any information about not having a vehicle to move the unit only about how well you get along with the other residents and you pay in full and on time and how everything was fine until their employee ran into your unit and did not want to fix it properly.
You would have nothing to lose and nothing to gain at that point but you may prevent someone else from having to go through this.
King Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:02 AM   #14

Carefree is the manufacturer and your dealer should be the authorized servicer for the manufacturer.

Also mention the installation crew will be asked to inspect and make as new any part damaged as discovered.

The side of the trailer may have unseen damage...

Tags
awning, replace, replacement