Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Awning Unfurling

I had the same problem and this is the second RV it that has had this problem this time it unfurled on a highway with a very narrow breakdown lane with a drop off. Trying to get it furled back was not fun in 40 to 60 mph winds.
My fix was to use one of these and I am happy to report it works and I am happy with it as it is very secure.

RV Awning Clamp - Product - Camping World
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
I'm always amazed that so many ideas get thrown out for such a common problem , when the answer is already close at hand.
That nice Rod that Everyone uses to pull down the Awning is also the perfect Locking device for those awnings.
It sometimes requires a slight bend in order to make it fit right but has worked for Me for many years.
The Hook end goes into the Accessory Channel at the rear end of the Awning. The Round Handle gets a Bungee through it wrapped around the Awning Rafter support. I usually wrap a second Bungee around the main shaft as a Safety Strap.
Simple and effective!
For someone who can't quite see it, do you have a picture?
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I'll have to pull mine open to measure the hole. What does the locking lever on the roller do? I don't think I can pull mine open until I flip the lever.
It prevents the roller from rolling up. The exact opposite of what is required to prevent the awning from unfurling in a side wind. As much time as I've spent messing around RV equipment, I just figured that out the other day.

The awning will extend with the lever in either position.

I always thought that when something like that happened (unfurling on the road), it was operator error, somehow.

NOT!!!

It happened to me on our way back from Colorado, eastbound on 80. Thankfully I was aware of the potential, enough so that when it happened I knew exactly what was going on. The first time, I refurled and made sure the lever was in the correct position (locked!). A mile later, when it happened a second time, I figured it was broken, got the rope out and climbed up on the roof to secure it with that. Made it home and just started dealing with it the other day.

For those that don't know me, I was an RV tech/service manager for 24 years.... ('74-'98). STILL learning something new every day....

For Carefree owners with this same (stupid) setup, there's a conversion kit (Pioneer Upgrade Kit) that converts you over to a hand cranked set of worm gears, and eliminates the often troublesome springs and pull strap completely. This is the route I took. The whole setup is about the same price as one spring (140. complete/PPL). Installed it yesterday, by myself, and it works GREAT! Much better than the original design, and absolutely prevents the possibility of unfurling.

I thought I saw that they were available for the A&E 9000, but of course I can't find that link again.... -Al
Old 06-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #18
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I simply use a Velcro strap on each arm near the top. I think I spent $7.95 for the pair. Can't see it opening as the arm can't move. Unless I'm missing something.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
I'm always amazed that so many ideas get thrown out for such a common problem , when the answer is already close at hand.
That nice Rod that Everyone uses to pull down the Awning is also the perfect Locking device for those awnings.
It sometimes requires a slight bend in order to make it fit right but has worked for Me for many years.
The Hook end goes into the Accessory Channel at the rear end of the Awning. The Round Handle gets a Bungee through it wrapped around the Awning Rafter support. I usually wrap a second Bungee around the main shaft as a Safety Strap.
Simple and effective!
Rob, I would be concerned that the bend in the end of the rod is not long enought to properly secure the awning tube. I'm afraid that it might twist out under heavy stress. I made the bend in my rod from Lowes about 4 to 5 inches. Just a thought......
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
It prevents the roller from rolling up. The exact opposite of what is required to prevent the awning from unfurling in a side wind. As much time as I've spent messing around RV equipment, I just figured that out the other day.

The awning will extend with the lever in either position.

I always thought that when something like that happened (unfurling on the road), it was operator error, somehow.

NOT!!!
I just went out with my rod and could not budge my awning with the pull-down strap. Are you saying you can pull your awning open with the strap without changing the lever position?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
I simply use a Velcro strap on each arm near the top. I think I spent $7.95 for the pair. Can't see it opening as the arm can't move. Unless I'm missing something.
Les, I hate to burst your bubble, but that solution gives you a false sense of security, a many on here can verify! Even though the arms are locked down, a strong wind can get up under the awning tube and exert so much pressure that it strips the gears in the tube, allowing the awning to unfurl and leave the arms secured.

The easiest, simpliest, and least expensive way to solve this problem is to follow the suggestion I found somewhere. I went to Lowes and bought a 1/4" x 3' plated steel rod and a piece of clear PVC tubing the size of the rod. I put a 4" right-angle bend in the top to slide into the hole in the end of the awning tube, then another bend to make the long end lay flat against the vertical support. I put the PVC tubing over the long part of the rod to keep it from scratching the support. I insert the 4" bend of the rod into the awning tube hole, lay the long end against the support, and secure it with two short heavy bungees.

Unless I'm missing something, there is absolutely no way that the tube can turn and let the awning unfurl. I probably spent $5 on parts and 30 minutes time on the project.

Good luck!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
You are missing something.
What you have done, will not stop the unfurling.
You have to stop the roll from turning when wind gets under the roll and cover.

Been there done that.
It is not if your awning unfurls, but when.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #23

So it actually strips the gears inside the tube? Never thought of that. I pulled pretty hard on mine and it didn't budge. I guess if the wind is under the whole awning, it could multiply the force and turn the tube.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #24

Just rolled my awning out(barely cleared neighbors roof). On mine, the hole is only used for the rip-cord and the accessories I'll never put on, and measures almost exactly 5/16". I converted my family room to a machine shop with two mills, three lathes and all the accessories, so I should be able to come up with something unique to retain the roller. Wish I could take the whole thing off and put it on the bench.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I just went out with my rod and could not budge my awning with the pull-down strap. Are you saying you can pull your awning open with the strap without changing the lever position?
Nope. I'm saying the wind can. Using that strap to do it, I think you need to have the arms unlocked. With the strap, I don't think you can get enough advantage on those springs at that point. I've never really tried pulling on it hard enough to find that out for sure though?

Consider this. If your awning were out far enough for you to grab onto it to prevent it from rolling up, with the cam in the locked position, you could let go and hopefully it will catch and not roll up on you. At that point (assuming it did catch), with cam still locked, you could unroll it further by hand pretty easily (assuming only it wasn't already out all the way). With it "unlocked" you could do the same thing from that same point. Other than the springs, there's nothing to prevent it from unrolling. Locked, or unlocked.....

Check it out. If you study it for a minute or 2, pretty sure you'll agree with what I'm saying. That "lock" is a really simple cam that goes over center - in one direction only. Pretty crude really, considering what they charge for these things.....
Old 06-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #26

I think we're saying the same thing.

It will come out a little ways with the arms locked and the latch unlocked, but the arm locks and knobs have to be loosened to pull it out all the way out.

They way all the awnings I've had worked, was to flip the lever the opposite of where it is when stored, release the arms and loosen the knobs, pull the strap till it's all the way unrolled, raise the braces and tighten the knobs, then raise it to the desired height.

To roll it up, lower the arms, loosen the knobs, slide the braces to park, pull toward you to take the tension off of the latch, flip it the other way, the let it roll up all the way, then tighten the knobs and lock the arms.

When rolling it up, I don't think you can't change your mind and unroll it again without flipping the latch.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #27

Forgot, I read where the early ones with two rivets were more prone to unfurling than the newer ones with three rivets. I think after a while, the end caps worked loose. I also read there are gears on the lever or are in the end cap that can strip.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Ohhhh Man! Just logged in and this is what I see....

I had awning issues last weekend coming home from an awesome "Father's Day" trip. 50+ knot cross winds. Lost the main awning. Had to cut the fabric free to prevent damage to the rig. Got to the next exit and found a parking lot to put the wind on the other side. While trying to tie down the "aluma-shield" on the main awning, I had the slide awning pop loose. It was flopping around like crazy. Running around on the roof trying to save the Moho...dang I want to forget all of that.

Still waiting on the insurance adjuster...................

Tags
awning