Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #43

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 14 (12 members and 2 guests)
Dunner, ahicks, Dawn309, dogpatch, FDchief, judy3972, monkey, OSP1268, stephen44, Superslif, tylerdmoore, Vette Racer

Where's the big cat?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I think they are all that way except the window awnings. They have no lever. FMAC says the window awnings don't usually need a lock because they have a smaller area for the wind to catch. Lots of good awning info here.

Wind forces and your awning

Just a WAG, but I'm wondering if some people that have awnings that unfurl think they are locking the roller by flipping the lever after it is rolled up, when actually, they are unlocking it.

You may be right Dunner. However, my older model Carefree was fully stowed and LOCKED. This model uses an internal roller lock that prevents the roller from turning. In my case, the gust that caught it was apparently strong enough that it pulled right through the locking mechanism and unfurled. All of the internals in the roller are broken (springs, lock, ratchet assembly). The roller will now free spin either direction regardless of the lock position.

As for the slide awning, it uses a different method. They call it an "anti sail" devise. If the wind starts to lift the awning, it forces an arm to contact a gear mounted on the end of the roller, thereby preventing it from unfurling. Again in my case, the gusts were so strong that the arm dropped and actually cut right through the gears, fully half way around the roller. At that point it was so damaged that it quit even trying to work. Luckily I was already on the roof when it popped free and I was able to save that one. However, Carefree doesn't make that model anymore, so no parts are available to fix the anti sail devise...so it may be a full replacement also.

After the insurance adjuster approves the repairs, I'll definitely be looking for a more positive locking system to go along with the factories.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdmoore View Post
You may be right Dunner. However, my older model Carefree was fully stowed and LOCKED. This model uses an internal roller lock that prevents the roller from turning. In my case, the gust that caught it was apparently strong enough that it pulled right through the locking mechanism and unfurled. All of the internals in the roller are broken (springs, lock, ratchet assembly). The roller will now free spin either direction regardless of the lock position.

As for the slide awning, it uses a different method. They call it an "anti sail" devise. If the wind starts to lift the awning, it forces an arm to contact a gear mounted on the end of the roller, thereby preventing it from unfurling. Again in my case, the gusts were so strong that the arm dropped and actually cut right through the gears, fully half way around the roller. At that point it was so damaged that it quit even trying to work. Luckily I was already on the roof when it popped free and I was able to save that one. However, Carefree doesn't make that model anymore, so no parts are available to fix the anti sail devise...so it may be a full replacement also.

After the insurance adjuster approves the repairs, I'll definitely be looking for a more positive locking system to go along with the factories.
I understand what you are saying. The FMCA article I posted explains the wind effect quite well. If you haven't read it, it's a good read.

I take it your awning is useless now? Can't lock it open or closed?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, the main awning is done. I had to cut the fabric away the save the rig. Roller assembly is shot and a little damage to one arm...Full replacement is what I'm thinking.

The slide awning seems to work fine with the exception of the anti-sail device.

Going to read that article now
Old 06-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
This sounds interesting, has anyone tried it? I'm thinking that this little extra bit of tension may be worth the effort.

From Dunner's link:

Here's a little trick to fitting the awning tightly against the motorhome. This will work on any awning that has a ratchet-type lock and can be put in a patio position. With the awning rolled up in the travel position, unlatch the right awning main arm from the lower mounting bracket. Be prepared to support the weight of the awning for a few moments. Pull the bottom of the awning arm away from the coach approximately one foot or until the ratchet lock clicks. Then put the awning arm back into the lower mounting bracket. As you do this, the roller tube is fixed to the arm and will rotate slightly with the arm as you move the arm back to the coach. This tightens the fabric and roller tube against the side of the coach. The next time you pull the awning out, the lock will be rather firm. If it is very stubborn, reverse the process to get the lock to release.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #48

I just took my cam assembly apart as a memory refresh (the one I replaced with the worm gear setup). It IS a double acting cam (should be able to lock the roller in either direction depending on how it's set), but it's a really poor design. There's no teeth in the in the ID of the drum it engages for starters. Never was. Second, the the cam itself has a design issue as well. It IS about wear, mostly on the ID of the end cap.

The mechanism is almost identical to a 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2" ratchet - without the teeth on the ID. This design depend on the cam's teeth engaging the ID of the end cap, working only because of the softness alum. material it's made from, but with no durability built in whatsoever.

Though mine appears to be in very good condition, it is capable of unrolling in the locked position due to that wear and that crappy cam design.

Regarding "locked"? I think there's a lot of confusion regarding the "locked" position in our conversation here. There's shouldn't be one. There should be a "roll up" and a "roll down" position. If it will roll out or unroll in the roll up position - that should be your big red flag. You are now a candidate for unfurling going down the road.

I do not remember the early A&E being a double action, no clue when or if that's changed, or if my memory of that mechanism has faded.

I've got to some stuff that needs to be done, will post some pics later on that might illustrate what's going on more clearly than I'm able to write out.... -Al
Old 06-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #49

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post