Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We've all been told to make sure to not leave awnings open and unattended but most of us don't always do it. We had a dramatic reminder of that this afternoon at a campground in Mt. Airy, NC.

While visiting with another iRV2 couple under clear blue skies and a light breeze, a dust devil appeared out of nowhere, lifting one of those metal and canvas freestanding canopies about 50 feet into the air, depositing and destroying it about 300 feet from where it had been standing. The dust devil proceeded further into the campground ripping the awning and its hardware off the side of one unoccupied trailer. A couple in another trailer was able to save their awning by physically holding on to it. The dust devil then moved on toppling several potted plants. All this in the space of about 15 seconds on a clear calm afternoon.

I had gotten a little complacent about closing my awning when going someplace for an hour or two. Not any more.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We've all been told to make sure to not leave awnings open and unattended but most of us don't always do it. We had a dramatic reminder of that this afternoon at a campground in Mt. Airy, NC.

While visiting with another iRV2 couple under clear blue skies and a light breeze, a dust devil appeared out of nowhere, lifting one of those metal and canvas freestanding canopies about 50 feet into the air, depositing and destroying it about 300 feet from where it had been standing. The dust devil proceeded further into the campground ripping the awning and its hardware off the side of one unoccupied trailer. A couple in another trailer was able to save their awning by physically holding on to it. The dust devil then moved on toppling several potted plants. All this in the space of about 15 seconds on a clear calm afternoon.

I had gotten a little complacent about closing my awning when going someplace for an hour or two. Not any more.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #3

Half Dimes
Living in Florida you are aware of the summer thunderstorms as we are here on the Louisiana Gulf Coast. These things come up and can have 60/70mph winds in short bursts. Miss Sue and I call em "Awning Getters". We've been caught twice by these and we were home/at the RV. Once in Panama City and another in Gulf Shores. We ended up holding on to the roller and were lifted off of the ground. We never go very far without rolling the big one up. Awning Getters
Worst we've seen though was las summer @ Creede,Co. In the afternoon rainstorms would build over the mountains and then here would come a "microburst" as they call it there. 40+mph winds, from most any direction for maybe 2 minutes then calm. Awning Getters
My favorite though was in Deming NM. We pulled in one afternoon, rolled out the awning and were going to grill some steaks. After a while the owner of the park came over. Asked if we planned to leave the awning out. "Yes I guess so as it was very calm" He asked "Look around the park, do you see any awnings out?" None. I rolled mine up. Every evening the wind comes up and blows about 30+mph for about 1/2hr. Awning Getter.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #4

Dave, remind me to setup at least 100 feet from you the next campout. i really don't need to experience some of these adventures that you keep having.

2004 Infinity 36A
Kissimmee Kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Don't pick on Dave, it wasn't him ....This time.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #6

We went to Myrtle Beach a few years ago and the day we pulled into Pirateland there was the awning repair services. Seems that there was a storm the evening before and took out quite a few awnings. There were a couple folded right over the top flapping in the breeze. We normally use the awning anchors to handle the basic sea breezes that you get daily. But when we see on radar/noaa radio there's rough weather coming in, up the awning goes. Saw what it can do and it's not pretty.

Nell

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:54 AM   #7

Kissimmee Kids
These experiences have taken place over the years since 1976 & 7RVs so actually our batting average is pretty good. Nothing will ever happen though if your RV stays parked in it's storage building.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:12 AM   #8

A couple months ago the wind picked up fast and hard at the beach spot I had up here in Ma. I disconnected the left side then the right,the wind grabbed the awning and just about lifted me off the ground.No damage , but I was ready to let it go before I killed myself. Now I dont take any chances,awning goes up before I leave for the day.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote