Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 10:08 AM   #1

AWNINGS...do these look correct?

Since the coach is seasoned, can I assume that these are the proper way for our awnings to be? We........rarely.....use them, and I just noticed the main awning during our last trip, when it was raining.

The main awning is a Carefree. It looks like there are different slots in the arm that would eliminate that bend in the upper arm, but is that bend supposed to be there?

The small awning can extend more, but the fabric begins to sag. Is there a way to increase spring tension on the fabric?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	124354   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	124355  

Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	124356   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	124357  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 01:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have the Colorado One-Touch main awning, this is the way mine looks. The design really doesn't allow for the upper scissor arm to fully extend, it relies on a strap system to pull everything tight.

FWIW,

Right after we first got out coach in 2009 we were parked the event center in Perry Ga, we had the awning out. I was in the coach at the kitchen table when all of a sudden a wind gust blew the awning up and bent the back arm set. The 2 pieces that slide in and out when the awning extends was bent and would not work. When I tried to retract the awning it would not come in. I had to go to the hardware store and buy some heavy clamps and piece of iron bar that I could use to try and straighten.

I was able to get it straight enough to retract with some help and when I got home had to do some more work to get it worked fairly freely. I have to keep it well lubricated with silicon spray to keep it working.

The awning model is discontinued so you can't buy parts. Colorado didn't have this on the market that long which leads me to believe there is/was a design flaw.

Since the first time the awning failure we've had the same thing happen a couple other times, not quite as bad. As a result we really don't trust it enough to leave it open without us being present. Any sign of winds we will bring the awning it.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:10 PM   #3

We don't deploy it much, but want to know that it's good the way it is. Thanks for the lubing suggestion, since this awning's nylon straps and aluminum arms wouldn't suggest that.

Ours has Wind sensor (haven't tried to use it). Does yours have one, too, and if so, did it just not work when the gust hit?
Old 04-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
No, we don't have a wind sensor, wish we did. We have to be diligent about watching the wind and never let the awning out while we are gone.

We had a manual awning on our Class C that was pretty much bullet proof, never had a problem with it and we would leave it out pretty much all the time.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning