Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
B-20 BioDiesel

I have a 03 camalot with a isc 8.3. Are there any issues with running the b-20 from flying J, only thing they now have in calif.
geo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #2

Some will say yes, others will say no. What do you think? I try my darndest to find any place (that I can get into) selling regular diesel fuel. Probably should be using an additive for lubricity, since ULSDF supposedly causes premature fuel pump failure. Cummins says nothing higher than B5 with 2002 and older engines. I have had fuel restriction problems after putting in a few tankfuls of B20...requiring a number of filter changes and algaecides to remedy the situation.

PS: Do you want an order of fries with that?
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #3

I don't know if it would be a problem, but I wouldn't buy it. Plenty of fuel available without it.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #4

If B20/20% biodiesel harms anything it is unrecognizable to me. It hasn't made any difference to any of my diesel engines, the newest of which is an 01.
Read up, educate yourself about biodiesel. Diesel fuel today virtually all contains B2, which replaces lost lubricity during refining required by the EPA to remove sulfur (sulfur BTW is not a lubricant).
Wikipedia quote:
"
Sulfur is not a lubricant in of itself, but it can combine with the nickel content in many metal alloys to form a low melting point eutectic alloy that can increase lubricity. The process used to reduce the sulfur also reduces the fuel's lubricating properties. Lubricity is a measure of the fuel's ability to lubricate and protect the various parts of the engine's fuel injection system from wear. The processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also removes naturally-occurring lubricity agents in diesel fuel. To manage this change ASTM International (formerly the American Society for Testing and Materials) adopted the lubricity specification defined in ASTM D975[14] for all diesel fuels and this standard went into effect January 1, 2005.[15] The D975 standard defines two ULSD standards, Grade No. 2-D S15 (regular ULSD) and Grade No. 1-D S15 (a higher volatility fuel with a lower gelling temperature than regular ULSD).
The refining process that removes the sulfur also reduces the aromatic content and density of the fuel, resulting in a minor decrease in the energy content, by about 1%. (Citation needed) This decrease in energy content may result in slightly reduced peak power and fuel economy."
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #5

I have run more than a few tanks of B-99 in my 1996 Cummins with absolutely no problems. What I have seen is the smoke is no longer black, but grey at WOT, the power is slightly less (you don't notice it until you fill a near empty tank with diesel), my truck produces a haze at idle, mileage is slightly less (maybe 2 mpg less), it runs way smoother (noticeable right away), and it is a lot slippery feeling in between fingers. All these problems with plugging fuel filters is nothing more that the bio cleaning you fuel system. Bio does not plug the filter, the contaminants in your fuel system plugs the filters.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My 05 Diplomat with an ISL 400 said 5% max. My new 2014 ISL 450 says 20% max. Hopefully, the oil war will bring back more straight diesel. Personally, I feel biodiesel is a rip off. You pay the same price and get less BTU's, equating to less MPG. I'm been running a fuel additive (OptiLube) for over five years now. I don't trust that diesel fuel meets minimum government specs at all stations.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:05 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The only opinion that really matters is Cummins, and they approve B20 use in highway engines made after 1/1/2002, Here is their actual statement:

Quote:
B20 – In the on-highway market, Cummins MidRange
and Heavy-Duty engines that are certified to EPA ’02
emissions standards or later are approved for the use
of B20 biodiesel, along with ISL, ISC and ISB engines
certified to Euro III or later.
For more info see Cummins Engines
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:15 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fuel pricing and the oil companies have no effect on the amount of Biodiesel at the pump. The EPA is charged with implementing a law passed by Congress (quite a few years ago) requiring continuous improvement in the amount of renewable energy fuels used in on-highway applications, both gas and diesel. Since biodiesel is the only renewable fuel alternative for diesel available today, you will see more and more blended diesel at the pump, no matter where you go and what brand you buy. Every year or two the required percentage of biofuels is increased (at the wholesale level), so retailers have no choice - the only diesel available in quantity is some degree of blended biodiesel.

Whether this national legal requirement is a good thing or not, I will leave to you, but address your complaints to your Congressman rather than the fuel companies. The fuel companies have no choice. Nor does the EPA, for that matter - they are working under a Congressional mandate.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:24 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
B-20

Thanks everyone for the imput. Some of you say it's all right some say no. I think I will use straight diesel if possible and B-20 in a pinch. Thanks again
geo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:25 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I feel biodiesel is a rip off. You pay the same price and get less BTU's, equating to less MPG. I'm been running a fuel additive (OptiLube) for over five years now. I don't trust that diesel fuel meets minimum government specs at all stations.
I have used OptiLube Summer blend for several years myself.
But with Pilot/Flying J using Bio(a Lube) at most of their stations. No added lube is needed. So I am switching to OptiLube Boost. And see if that picks up the loss MPG from the Bio.

All the Pilot/Flying J's I fill at are using B10 so far.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #11

Triker56, B100/neat biodiesel reduces mileage about 10%, B20 biodiesel reduces mileage about 2% according to Biodiesel You might want to calculate cost of an additive to improve mileage vs not spending your money for a fuel mileage enhancer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 12-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Triker56, B100/neat biodiesel reduces mileage about 10%, B20 biodiesel reduces mileage about 2% according to Biodiesel You might want to calculate cost of an additive to improve mileage vs not spending your money for a fuel mileage enhancer.
My actual mileage was much lower than the 2%. On a trip from mid Nebraska back to mid Missouri mileage dropped about 16% from normal. No unusual speed, load, or wind. I stay away from it unless there is NO alternative.

YMMV.
Bipeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
My 05 Diplomat with an ISL 400 said 5% max. My new 2014 ISL 450 says 20% max. Hopefully, the oil war will bring back more straight diesel. Personally, I feel biodiesel is a rip off. You pay the same price and get less BTU's, equating to less MPG. I'm been running a fuel additive (OptiLube) for over five years now. I don't trust that diesel fuel meets minimum government specs at all stations.
Biodiesel costs more to produce than dino diesel, but we'll never see it go away because it is govenment-mandated, like ethanol in gasoline.

Tags
diesel