Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Back in a Winnie!

After a disastrous four and a half month "excursion" with another brand, yesterday I finally threw up my hands (and the wallet), dumped the unit on a trade and returned to the Winnebago brand with the purchase of an Itasca Sunstar 35F yesterday. I only had the unit in my possession for 17 days since purchase. We lost the whole summer of trying to get out of the heat here. I have an immediate family member who is an attorney and suggested that I bail as it ultimately would be cheaper than a court fight and this could drag on for quite some time. The lemon laws here do not apply to RVs, so after failure criteria is met, a law suit has to be filed. The short version is that on April the 29th this year we traded our undersized, 2011 Vista 26P for a 35 ft full wall slide coach of another brand while we were on a trip to visit relatives. Looked nice, right length, my favorite chassis, the Ford F-53 with the much improved Mor/Ryde suspension and a bonus of a full outside entertainment and cooking station. That's the end of the good part of the story on that unit. By the time we got it home the wall slide quit working completely. Had to have it adjusted twice prior to leaving the dealership. We put it in the shop here locally on the 15th of May. Until yesterday, the 18th of Sept when he were for the second time, notified that it was repaired it had been in the shop continuously for two major overhauls of the slide and slide operation system, and other undisclosed damage at time of purchase, that either occurred at the factory or while being delivered to the dealership. The local shop finally got a factory rep to fly in to figure out why the slide kept failing. Ultimately, it would appear that it was poor quality control at the factory as the opening in the body of the RV to which the slide operates was out of square and throwing the tracks and motors out of alignment. Day before yesterday I got a registered letter from the factory offering "hush money" for my troubles. Upon advice, I'll decline, but until all is said and done, I'll not cast them in the oven and disclose the names.

VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My luck isn't quite as bad as yours, but we are considering doing the same thing. We are heading out this weekend to look at an Allegro.

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #3

We went through the same thing back in 2004 with a nightmare coach. Post when you can what it was. I'll state right now ours was a Thor product.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have had 2 friends here in Califrnia take their mfg to court on a Lemon Law violations and both won. Had lots of documentation and finally hired an attorney who was experienced with lemon laws. Their family attorney just did not have the experitise in that field. Another sued the dealership in small claims court for the cost of the monthly payment when they kept the motorhome for too long in their shop without getting the work done. He won as well.

What ever happened to pride of workmanship?

Don G.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a Minnie Winnie and would recommend Winnebago products to anyone.

Ken
Old 09-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Glad to hear others have had the experience of getting rid of a coach at great expense that was just not well made! I was thinking I was the only one.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #7

So tell the mfg rep what you can doccument you lost in the deal and thell them it is not hush money it is world class customer service, every mfg has had units with major problems that are better off the road than getting a bad review everywhere someone goes. Live and learn and ask them to make it right money wise and you agree to say yep they had a QC problem but they proved they stand behind their customers and make it right....
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, hope everything works out well with your new one. Enjoy your travels.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
We went through the same thing back in 2004 with a nightmare coach. Post when you can what it was. I'll state right now ours was a Thor product.

Yep! You named it. We share in the booby prize!
Old 10-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post

Yep! You named it. We share in the booby prize!
34F Hurricane? ?

2014 Allegro 36LA
Old 10-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
34F Hurricane? ?
'14 Daybreak 34XD
Old 10-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post

'14 Daybreak 34XD
We have a 2014 34f and just ordered a Tiffin Allegro 36LA. Nothing but problems so far with the full wall slide, levelling jacks, outside storage doors, vent fans, bathroom door, exterior ladder and a few other things I can't recall at the moment. Scott Harris mentioned 'compensation' for all of our problems, but I doubt we'll ever see it before we get rid of this thing.

2014 Allegro 36LA
Old 10-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
We have a 2014 34f and just ordered a Tiffin Allegro 36LA. Nothing but problems so far with the full wall slide, levelling jacks, outside storage doors, vent fans, bathroom door, exterior ladder and a few other things I can't recall at the moment. Scott Harris mentioned 'compensation' for all of our problems, but I doubt we'll ever see it before we get rid of this thing.
Gave a lot of thought to going back to a Tiffin as our first Class A was a used '04 Allegro Bay 37DB. It was probably the best unit in overall coach quality I've owned. My main objections to it and the reasons I traded it. I just did not like the Chevy Vortec 8.1L engine and the Allison transmission. The chronic tappet rattle on starting, the Tranny whine, poor handeling of the Work Horse chassis and terrible fuel consumption. As I can't justify or afford a DP, the Ford F-53 with the V-10 is my favorite, especially with the new Mor/Ryde addition. Even the piece of junk I just got rid of had the F-53 and drove and handled extremely well and got reasonable gas considered we were towing our '07 Focus. IIRC, we got 7.5 from Houston to Las Vegas. The 36A layout is very simuliar to our Itasca, but our bedroom slide is on the opposite side. Looks like a good unit, but then again, it's a Tiffin. BTW, I was offered 2k for my "troubles and lack of availability of the RV" but I could not talk about the many problems I'd had with the unit. I decided not to even respond to their offer. For 20-30k, I would have talked to them, but would still have dumped the unit. I believe in the old saying, "What goes around, comes around".
Old 10-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
we just got a Winnebago access and hope it does good.i will need to have steering stabilizer added. It really has the steering problem and too much bounce and drifting on interstae. I have talked with several folks that do stabilizers,we may do some improvements each year.i think most every camper has challenges. We camped the last two weeks in sc, while there our relatively new thetford started leaking thru water supply valve and chassis battery died. Since we have had other campers that also had to be fixed at times. So we plan to fix water supply valve, and we replaced battery and was able to get home in Va about 9.0 pm. We still lik camping even though we will always have flawed electro mech systems that need repairs and /or replacment.
enjoy