Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #15

I had a lamenectomy in May 2012 and I knew the first time I stood up that it was successful. It was minimally invasive and I was back to normal in about 2 weeks. I will have to have another section done in the future but for now all is good.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had to have the surgery, the pain was intolerable! The surgeon used cadaver disc and replace c-5 c-6 in the neck. Also used a titanium plate with screws to "lock" every thing into place. It has relived the pain allowing somewhat of a normal life. The nerve damage will not ever be corrected. I too suffer from degenerative disc disease, severe arthritis, etc etc. most likely a wheel chair is in my near future. Right now I just go one day at a time. Best of luck!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Eight years ago I had a Discectomy (I think - the disc was ruptured and the neurosurgeon removed the material protruding into the spinal canal).

I was in a wheel chair at the time and had been for weeks. The day of the surgery, a few hours after it was done I was able to walk to the bath room and went home the next day.

No problems and no pain so far. I had no problem recovering in the motor home.

A year and a half ago I had a total hip replacement and it was also no problem to recover in the motor home. Zero pain now.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #18

I wish i had the problems in the lower back L4-L5...but mine is in L1-L2 and there is nothing that i found for suggestions.the pain from these goes around the hip to the groin and feels like theres a ten pound weight on my sack..my pain doc just keeps giving me oxycontin and oxycodone ,,over the many years tried morpine and others but these seem to work best...L1 -L2 is way more rare and seems to not have good solutions....jeff
Old 02-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #19

iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks to all who have shared their experiences.
Lots of great information and lots to think about.
I appreciate it.

Thanks to he Mod who moved this to the correct place.
I could not get it there last night. Guess I need simple navigation.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
BTW, one of my surgeon's (at OHSU) told me that there is something in medical research RIGHT NOW that will fix me 100% and it is right out of Star Trek: Nanites

Nanotechnology is about microscopic robots that can do surgery at the microscopic level. This is a YouTube video to show you what I mean. Here is the government site on this: Nano

My surgeon told me that it will be at least 10 years but that it is what will fix me 100%. It will repair my cord damage, nerve damage and everything else.

I do not want to get into a debate about the other applications that nanites can be used for. I have been in pain, 24/7, for 22 years. I can not wait for the trials, on this, to start--it's what keeps me going day-to-day. I will be signing up for them.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #21

Good luck with the experimental stuff. I hope it works for you. My wife and I have both had extruded disk problems at the L4-L5 site. Hers was about 14 years ago and resulted from being a dental assistant. Mine was in the spring of 2012. Both have been totally successful.

Mine started as an RV-related problem. I used the driver's door to get out at a CG, to check clearances before we put the slides out. I missed the "stirrup" step and started to fall out backwards. I managed to pull mysef back up to get my feet on the door sill, using my hands on the steering wheel and the door frame. Somewhere in the mayhem, I twisted my back. A few months later, I went to start a gas-powered lawn edger (recoil starter) and there was a pop and I couldn't stand up any longer.

The surgery was relatively simple, micro-incisions and all done with remotely operated miniature tools and I was only in hopsital overnight. It's been fine ever since, but I now have an electric edger and an electric-start lawnmower!
Old 03-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #22

I had my L-4 and L-5 Laminectomy when I was 27 and all has been fine since. I also do the simple 10 minute lower back exercizes laying in bed every morning, without failure. I believe this is a key to recurring lower back problems. JMHO
Old 03-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Something to think about, do you really trust what your doctor tells you? If so, simply ask him/her what action is recomended, not what are my options. If you don't have this type of trust with your doc, get another opinion from a qualified doctor, and another if need. This added expense is small in comparison to a unnecessary surgery that dose not solve the problem. By now you have spoke with many back pain patients, how many of those told about multiple surgeries? And still in pain! I've spent 35 years in the medical profession and been ask to second guess a doctors opinion cause the patient didn't have trust. Also I suffer with lower back pain and find weight control and swimming gives me the best pain relief second to mind numbing medication. Good luck!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #24

I agree with Huntnski....I saw 11-12 doctors before I found a doctor I was comfortable with.....I found te right guy and he fixed me right the first time. If a doctor gave me options and told me to decide why course of action I wanted to take....I wouldn't let him touch me it a ten foot pole. The doctor I decided on told me....I can fix you...this is what we are going to do, AND there were complications during the surgery that he was equipped to address. Just my two cents id be very cautious with back surgery you generally only get one shot.
jland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #25

iRV2 No Limits Club
I agree with both huntnski and jland on being comfortable with Dr.

Just to correct what may be an assumption, you said " If so, simply ask him/her what action is recommended, not what are my options". I am not asking for anyone's OPINIONS here. I am asking for their real life experiences. Big difference.

Once piece of advice that has stuck out so far about is success rate and the asking the Dr.'s definition of success. The Dr.'s definition and patient's defination can be different.

My wife just went through open heart surgery this past December. The aortic valve was replaced. The surgery/ valve replacement itself was successful, however she was readmitted two times with complications in January and now has to go back because they screwed up the wires to her pacemaker, during surgery. The surgeon called that a success. We call it an incomplete success.

I have lived with back pain since my teen years. I have seen a number of Drs. over that 50 years including PT. I found it interesting that over that period of time very few Drs. agreed on what is the root cause of my pain until recently and now there are apparently several treatment options.

I will be going slowly into any surgery. My wife has had some procedures done, such as killing nerves with radio waves, after all else failed due to a what seemed to be a minor car accident. That worked well in her case but that is different from my problem. It took 4 different Drs. looking at the problem before one at a pain clinic identified the problem and fixed it. The only complication is a numb spot on the top of her thigh the size of a baseball. Her pain is 95% gone.

Thanks to all who have shared their experiences. It is appreciated.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #26

iRV2 No Limits Club
It works.

Thanks to all for their input on my questions.
After reading the replys from all especially Porchracer, Srrobe and reubenray,
I decided to try the Inversion Table. I had been on the fence about it before that.

I have been using one for the past 3 days, twice a day for 10 min. at a time.
It was easy to get use to as I am only on about a 45 degree angle at the present time. That is enough to relieve the pain.

My wife has commented several times about how I am walking and how much I am doing physically. Now to make sure I do not over due anything with my new found energy, may be a problem.

I am sure this is not a cure. But neither were pain pills.
It will, I feel buy me time.
The Inversion Table was on of my better investments.
Thanks for the information.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
I had surgery the beginning of December after everything else failed. I could no longer stand or walk. I had no other option. From the X-rays, it looks like I have a bird cage inside of me. They are keeping fairly comfortable with pain meds, and I started aqua therapy last week. No lifting, bending, twisting, pushing, or pulling. I had laminectomies, fusion, and something else to fix two fractures. As of now, it's difficult for me to tell you the level of success achieved because of all the restrictions that are still in place, and I wouldn't until I am told that my recovery (which can be a year) is complete.

In the 80s, I had cervical neck surgery. I knew it was a success the moment I opened my eyes. The lower back is a different animal, for sure.

My advice is to find a doctor you trust. I was fortunate. My daughter is in anesthesia, so she knew the doctor she thought was best. I'm in the Atlanta area. Feel free to PM me if you'd like his name. He's very conservative, and does not push surgery. Anyone who has had back pain can empathize with you...it takes you down mentally as well as physically. I hope you find the best alternative for you. Every one is different and has a different problem which makes it difficult to say, "Mine was a success, so yours will be." Good luck to you.
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think that the sharing that's going on, on this thread is a credit to our members.
The words of encouragement are worth their weight in gold.
Keep it up!
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, chair lift, disability, disabled, disabled rvers, handicap, handicapped, wheelchair