Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My wife minimal invasive surgery a little over a year ago. She had sciatica, herniated disc, stenosis, bulging disc and removal of (scraping) of arthritis which was originally thought to be a bone infection. I see you are in GA but her doctor is in Brooksville, FL. Gulf coast Spine Institute, Dr Frank S Bono. 1 855 485-3262. Their website is gulfcoastspine.net. All I can say is that it's probably the best medical procedure she has ever had to help her. She has many other underlying medical conditions but she pain FREE regarding her back. She's had back problems since she was 13 when she was thrown from a horse. One thing that was really impressive was after surgery and entering her room. The nurses had the highest praise for the doctor and said "we don't know how he does what he does, he's just a miracle worker". In seeing my wife now at least regarding her back I have to agree with them 100%. I just wish all her other issues could be addressed. Hope this helps.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #44

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
My wife minimal invasive surgery a little over a year ago. She had sciatica, herniated disc, stenosis, bulging disc and removal of (scraping) of arthritis which was originally thought to be a bone infection. I see you are in GA but her doctor is in Brooksville, FL. Gulf coast Spine Institute, Dr Frank S Bono. 1 855 485-3262. Their website is gulfcoastspine.net. All I can say is that it's probably the best medical procedure she has ever had to help her. She has many other underlying medical conditions but she pain FREE regarding her back. She's had back problems since she was 13 when she was thrown from a horse. One thing that was really impressive was after surgery and entering her room. The nurses had the highest praise for the doctor and said "we don't know how he does what he does, he's just a miracle worker". In seeing my wife now at least regarding her back I have to agree with them 100%. I just wish all her other issues could be addressed. Hope this helps.
Thanks, Steve--I appreciate the information and I'm very happy that your wife is free of pain. I, too, hope that you find someone to fix her other health issues and will keep her in my thoughts. My sister-in-law had a minimally invasive surgery that eliminated her pain, as well. Unfortunately, I was not a candidate. No other alternative other than extensive surgery. I had spent a year with epidural shots, physical therapy, etc., all to no avail.

I finish follow up visits with the surgeon in December. At that time, if I'm still in as much pain they will re-evaluate and determine whether the next step is only pain control; probably a pain clinic. I don't know. It's a bummer, though.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboPals View Post

I finish follow up visits with the surgeon in December. At that time, if I'm still in as much pain they will re-evaluate and determine whether the next step is only pain control; probably a pain clinic. I don't know. It's a bummer, though.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
I had the same problem. I had a severe version of spinal stenosis. It was to such an extend, that my spine was growing shut to the inside, and I was told that I would be wheelchair bound in only a few month. I had pain day and night, no matter what position my body was in. The pain continued even after an extensive laminectomy covering four vertebrae in the lower back, my pain did not go away (surgery and all follow up treatment was done in the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN). Further diagnosis came to the conclusion that my nerves, specifically the sciatic nerve, were chronically inflamed. All kind of different treatments were tried and failed, until my doctor decided to get me on a medication commonly used to treat epilepsy (a nerve disease).
It was like a wonder, after I was ramped up on this medication to a rather high doses, I was pain free. I am now pain free for about four month and am building up my old strength more and more. I can virtually do anything what a healthy person of my age can do (working in the garden, repairing and building stuff in and around the house, etc., as long as I take my pills).

The name of the pills is Gabapentin and I take 1200 mg three times a day. Check with your doctor if this medication might be a possibility to help you with your pain!
Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #46

Solo Rvers Club
Thank you, Hudsoner. So nice of you to write. You've given me hope. I've copied your post (hope you don't mind) and will take it to my doctor in October. I'm glad you're pain free and can enjoy your life, again, and sure hope they find the answer for me! It's no picnic, as you well know.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #47

My doctor had me on percocet 500mg twice a day and that was my routine for nine mpnths. Then pne day while listening tp the radio I heard this doctor talking about the benits of Krill oil omega three and how it can help the bpdy heal. So Itried it and four months later no more ps in. The my blood sugar dropped and now my blood pressure and cholesterol too. Chevk the web there's a new study every couple of months on the benefits of taking krill oil omegs 3.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #48

Solo Rvers Club
Thank you jasright. This gives me another alternative to consider. I'm very appreciative of the advice and suggestions received her. Thank you for your time. I may try this, now, and see if I have any relief before my doctor visit at which time I'll ask him about the Gabapentin. I will be sure to check back and let you know results after the doctor appointment. Again, thank you.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I had a laminectomy in march of 2007. went back to work 3 days later pain free.
well until my pain then moved to my neck and had 4 disc fused. now fully disabled and my surgeon wants to do another round on my neck. in next month or so. waiting to see if Labor and industry is going to pick it up again if not I am heading
south. best of luck.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #50

Solo Rvers Club
Every case is different, but in the 80s I had 3 disks replaced on my neck. It was a piece of cake compared to my lower back surgery, and I imagine it has only improved since then. Hope you can be pain free once again. Best of luck to you, too. Sad lot, aren't we?��
Old 09-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Very good thread. deSanford PS off to Costco for some Krill OIl.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was told not to long ago, that some over the counter drug called SAM-e
(here is a brief study report SAMe – Informed Opinion | Natural Health Research Institute – NHRI) might help with some pain caused by osteoarthritis. I am trying it currently and also Omega 3 fatty acids and glucosamine/chondroitin to see if my other joint pains (age related) will be influenced positively. So far, the results are still in question (I used to make my living in medical research and am doing now a controlled self study on me). But the joint pains are not really nerve related like the back pain with me and very likely with HoboPals, and neither of those supplements are able to treat them.
Prior to being on Gabapentin i found that only pain medication that reacts with the morphine receptors in the brain could control my pain. The disadvantage of these medications are that on has to live in kind of a "foggy" world, and I did not like this.
Sometimes electro-stimulation (TENS equipment) can take care of the pain until the body adapts to it.
HoboPals, I would try to get into medical care as soon as possible, because the longer you wait, the more nerve deterioration and loss of body power you will get!
Good luck!
Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #53

Like I've suggested to others. Try krill oil omega three. , It's amazing what it can do. It helps It allows your body to rebuild itself. I uded to have to take 500mg of pericek twice to three times daily judt to function. After four months on krill oil I was pain free after sixth monyhd I was no longer taking percicek. After nine months my blood dugar dropped do low I no longer use insulin. And my blood pressure has dropped twenty points. Not to mention my cholesterol is also dropping. My doctor is now prescribing krill oil to several other patients. Including my friend Dauveed who has lived witth crippling pain for fprtynine years. It was so bad he spent most of his time in a wheelchair. Two months on krilll oil and he walking around with a rollator walker or a quad cane. He's been in nursing homes for fortynine years in four states and now he's on a waiting list to get his own apartment and a home care attendant.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #54

iRV2 No Limits Club
Picked up some Krill Oil at Walgreens today.
With their free card it was 2 for $16.95
Nature's Bounty triple strength 30 count each - 1000 mg softgels.

Nature's Bounty*Triple Strength Red Krill Oil 1000 mg Dietary Supplement Softgels | Walgreens
We will see how it does.

Interesting:
Krill Oil Radically Better Than Fish Oil

Krill Oil | University of Michigan Health System
Old 09-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #55

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasright View Post
Like I've suggested to others. Try krill oil omega three. , ...
I have it on order. Thank you so much. Just to be functional will be a blessing. I hope it works as well for me. I'll let you know. I didn't think of buying it in a store. I'll run up to get it, today. Do you recommend any particular brand?
Old 09-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #56

I currently take 1500mg capsules I Bought on amazon in a three for one price special. I get two a day cause the center took them away so they could regulate how many I take. I'd probably take at least five a day to lower my bp and cholesterol faste. My bp is down to 142 /78 and my cholesterol is 158 but both need to go lower. I'm trying to get my nephew to stop by King pharmacy, one block over and buy me a bottle or two. They're selling 1000mg capsules fot $13. For 30 capsule bottles. I would eat them like candy just to shock the doctors. They're do blind. They didn't even know about krill oil till I told them and now they're prescribing it. I wonder how much they're billing Medicare for it. Any wonder why I want to es cape this place and theHHA system. O wish the damn judge wpuld release the ###""! Mpney!

Tags
ada, chair lift, disability, disabled, disabled rvers, handicap, handicapped, wheelchair