Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
You, too should work with your Doc on your pain meds. because of the fact that drugs don't work the same for everyone, you and your Doc have to find the one that works for you! it took me about 6 month to find the right meds for my pain. I am now absolutely pain free from my back since about March of this year!
I have been dealing with all my medical issues for over 20 yrs. Been on more meds trying to help than I can remember. Had a fusion, a tens unit, cortisone shots, you name it. Been thru the Pain Management Clinic, a back class and whatever else the VA wants me to do. Not allowed to take any NSAID's anymore, not even a baby aspirin, since taking massive doses have caused ulcers from one end to the other. What works for me will not work for others. Everyone is different and drugs work differently on everyone. They even put me on indomethacin to try and it caused migraines, funny cause it's supposed to help cure migraines. Again not everything works the same on everyone.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #72

iRV2 No Limits Club
Much pain experience here.
As many have stated nothing works for everyone
as everyone is different and has different problems.

Example:

The DW had major back pain about 15 years ago
after a minor parking lot accident. Nothing they gave her worked.

She was on so much oxycodone. for a year
(under medical supervision) that she does not
even remember some actives of that year.

Then she went to a pain management center.
They found the damaged nerve and performed
a "Radio tract nerve block" procedure.

That targeted the nerve and killed it
(search function will tell you more).
Basically there are two needles that are inserted
at a specific location in the back.

The a machine that transmits radio waves between
the needles is turned on for a specific time period.
The radio waves kill nerves.
The whole procedure takes about 45 min.
Recovery is two days of intense pain and then
the pain went away.

She has been 99% pain free now for 15 years.

The damaged nerve was nothing major.
It was associated that the skin on the top of her
left thigh. She has a permanent numb spot about
the size of a softball there.

This is definitely NOT the right procedure for everyone.

It was the right one for her.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
I have been dealing with all my medical issues for over 20 yrs. Been on more meds trying to help than I can remember. Had a fusion, a tens unit, cortisone shots, you name it. Been thru the Pain Management Clinic, a back class and whatever else the VA wants me to do. Not allowed to take any NSAID's anymore, not even a baby aspirin, since taking massive doses have caused ulcers from one end to the other. What works for me will not work for others. Everyone is different and drugs work differently on everyone. They even put me on indomethacin to try and it caused migraines, funny cause it's supposed to help cure migraines. Again not everything works the same on everyone.
I went through all that, too. Even after a very aggressive open back Laminectomy I was left with very much pain. Cortisone injections and everything else was tried, and along the line it was found that the high dosage of NSAID's over a long time were starting to affect my kidneys. Other conventional pain medications did not help either, and I did not want to live for the rest of my life with high doses of medications working with the morphine receptors in my brain (with other words, I did not want to live in some kind of La La Land for the rest of my life). More medications were tried, and I am now on the, for me, wonder drug. A drug against epilepsy (a nerve disorder) does wonders to my chronically inflamed nerves, and I am pain free without any of the negative side effect conventional pain medication causes. Many pain clinics seem not to be aware of the side effects of some drugs, and that some drugs can help with chronic pain, even though they are not part of a normal pain management.

Pain clinics in Minneapolis/St.Paul could not help me, because nobody there was thinking out of the box. I was fortunate that doctors of the Mayo Clinics in Rochester, MN had the strong desire to make me pain free, and the used the combined knowledge of the Mayo Clinics system to make that possible.
There seem to be a reason that all the kings and presidents of the world go to the Mayo if they have complicated sicknesses!
Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldme View Post
Much pain experience here.
As many have stated nothing works for everyone
as everyone is different and has different problems.

Example:

The DW had major back pain about 15 years ago
after a minor parking lot accident. Nothing they gave her worked.

She was on so much oxycodone. for a year
(under medical supervision) that she does not
even remember some actives of that year.

Then she went to a pain management center.
They found the damaged nerve and performed
a "Radio tract nerve block" procedure.

That targeted the nerve and killed it
(search function will tell you more).
Basically there are two needles that are inserted
at a specific location in the back.

The a machine that transmits radio waves between
the needles is turned on for a specific time period.
The radio waves kill nerves.
The whole procedure takes about 45 min.
Recovery is two days of intense pain and then
the pain went away.

She has been 99% pain free now for 15 years.

The damaged nerve was nothing major.
It was associated that the skin on the top of her
left thigh. She has a permanent numb spot about
the size of a softball there.

This is definitely NOT the right procedure for everyone.

It was the right one for her.
This shows, too that help can be found if docs are willing to think outside of the box!
Old 09-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
I joke around with the doctors that I am willing to try a witch around a cauldron if it would help. At least all the doctors from FL to MI to CA that I have seen think I am joking. lol
Old 11-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #76

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
All kind of different treatments were tried and failed, until my doctor decided to get me on a medication commonly used to treat epilepsy (a nerve disease).
It was like a wonder, after I was ramped up on this medication to a rather high doses, I was pain free. I am now pain free for about four month and am building up my old strength more and more. I can virtually do anything what a healthy person of my age can do (working in the garden, repairing and building stuff in and around the house, etc., as long as I take my pills).

The name of the pills is Gabapentin and I take 1200 mg three times a day. Check with your doctor if this medication might be a possibility to help you with your pain!
I wrote the name of this medication down when I read your post. Time has brought no relief so I'm scheduled for another MRI. In my visit the other day, I asked my doctor about this medication, and he recognized it RIGHT away. I've got my fingers crossed although he's starting me on only 100mg, then 200mg, then 300mg once a day for a week each. He said if I don't see a difference by 300mg, it's not going to work. He still doesn't think my problem is nerve related because I don't have pain in my legs or feet. I've only been taking 100mg for three days, now, and I haven't seen a difference, but maybe it's because I need a higher dose. Did you start out with a lower dose? Thank you for telling me about your experience. Maybe...just maybe it will work.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #77
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I injured my back in an indecent involving a Huey Helicopter in VN. I was treated there and the problem went away. Forty years later I began having excruciating back pain. I have no way of knowing if it was related or not, but I suspect it did.

I went through two separate regimens of Physical Therapy over a couple years. It helped short term but the pain kept coming back. The pain was so severe that when our Daughter was married I had to go to bed and let the reception take place without me. It made me nauseous.

The Docs wanted me to put on that helmet with all the sensors and wires and have my brain analyzed. I wasn't too keen on that.

Numerous MRIs did not show any physical damage of any kind. I guess it was what is called "Soft Tissue Damage".

As it happened my Triglycerides were becoming very hard to control. My Doctor sent me to an Endocrinologist for treatement. He prescribed a stronger "Staten" drug to control them. I started taking the drug and almost immediately the pain went away. That was ten years ago and it has not come back. The drug was a Staten called Tricor.

Not recommending this for anyone else, but think that unless there is actual physical damage, there are many avenues to explore that involve taking drugs or not taking drugs that have an effect on the body.

I have read articles that certain artificial sweeteners also cause muscle pain. One thing to try is to eliminate any artificial foods from your diet. Also as in my case have your Doc do blood tests to see if you are in physical balance.

I know the pain can be excruciating. It can be very frustrating as well. My message is to never give up. Keep trying things.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #78

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I injured my back in an indecent involving a Huey Helicopter in VN. I was treated there and the problem went away. Forty years later I began having excruciating back pain. I have no way of knowing if it was related or not, but I suspect it did.

I went through two separate regimens of Physical Therapy over a couple years. It helped short term but the pain kept coming back. The pain was so severe that when our Daughter was married I had to go to bed and let the reception take place without me. It made me nauseous.

The Docs wanted me to put on that helmet with all the sensors and wires and have my brain analyzed. I wasn't too keen on that.

Numerous MRIs did not show any physical damage of any kind. I guess it was what is called "Soft Tissue Damage".

As it happened my Triglycerides were becoming very hard to control. My Doctor sent me to an Endocrinologist for treatement. He prescribed a stronger "Staten" drug to control them. I started taking the drug and almost immediately the pain went away. That was ten years ago and it has not come back. The drug was a Staten called Tricor.

Not recommending this for anyone else, but think that unless there is actual physical damage, there are many avenues to explore that involve taking drugs or not taking drugs that have an effect on the body.

I have read articles that certain artificial sweeteners also cause muscle pain. One thing to try is to eliminate any artificial foods from your diet. Also as in my case have your Doc do blood tests to see if you are in physical balance.

I know the pain can be excruciating. It can be very frustrating as well. My message is to never give up. Keep trying things.
Just a short comment here, all statins have the possible side effect of muscle pain. Just to shead more light on your improvement, and I'm glad your doing better, it very well might have been the discontinuation of the statin you was on previous that gave you the relief more so than the Tricor. The reason I'm replying Is the next person may be already on Tricore and still having pain, this might be a good time to talk to their DR. about a possible change.

Often times cholesterol problems are handled by one DR while back problems handled by another. Both DR are reluctant to make changes that is only a guess and especially if cholesterol was being controlled, the old saying don't fix what's not broken.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Different drugs do different things to different people. No one should expect an herb or drug to do the very same exact thing for them as someone else. You are only setting yourself up for failure and getting mad at the one that it worked for if it does not work for you.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboPals View Post
I wrote the name of this medication down when I read your post. Time has brought no relief so I'm scheduled for another MRI. In my visit the other day, I asked my doctor about this medication, and he recognized it RIGHT away. I've got my fingers crossed although he's starting me on only 100mg, then 200mg, then 300mg once a day for a week each. He said if I don't see a difference by 300mg, it's not going to work. He still doesn't think my problem is nerve related because I don't have pain in my legs or feet. I've only been taking 100mg for three days, now, and I haven't seen a difference, but maybe it's because I need a higher dose. Did you start out with a lower dose? Thank you for telling me about your experience. Maybe...just maybe it will work.
My dose was increased by three times 100 mg a day until I hit the maximum possible 1200 mg three times a day (I am a Mayo Clinic in rochester, Minnesota patient, right next to presidents and kings). I am PAIN FREE now!! We are now in the process of reducing the dose to a level that allows me to remain pain free. I will eliminate the noon 1200 mg to see whether I can live with this.
LIFE WITHOUT PAIN IS GREAT! I can do things around the house now. I can hop on my John Deere tractor and do all the Fall work that is required! I am a whole person again!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #81

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
My dose was increased by three times 100 mg a day until I hit the maximum possible 1200 mg three times a day (I am a Mayo Clinic in rochester, Minnesota patient, right next to presidents and kings). I am PAIN FREE now!! We are now in the process of reducing the dose to a level that allows me to remain pain free. I will eliminate the noon 1200 mg to see whether I can live with this.
LIFE WITHOUT PAIN IS GREAT! I can do things around the house now. I can hop on my John Deere tractor and do all the Fall work that is required! I am a whole person again!
Thank you so much for this information. The reason my doc said he doesn't think it will work is because I don't have pain in my extremities. I am so hoping he is wrong and will take your post in for him to read. Again, thank you so much.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #82

Solo Rvers Club
Hudsoner, I was reading about the Gabapenten and it's also used for Shingles pain. It dawned on me that for the 1-1/2 years I had pain before going to a surgeon, I had a bout of Shingles that was in the area of my lower back. I never did mention it to my doc because I just never connected the two. In fact, I thought the Shingle pain was just the back pain changing until the blisters. I went to a doc in the box at the first sign of blisters and was given an anti-viral medication, pain medication, and topical pain medication. Wouldn't it be interesting if the two were connected. Thanks, again, for your information. Very helpful. I don't see a difference, yet, but it may be the low dose. I will keep you posted.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #83

I was on gabapentin for 6 months after my fusion and it has a lot of side effects....maybe not in everyone but although the meds did work after my body got adjusted I had bad mood swings,really weird sensations, and ed. I weaned myself off it and I'm just dealing with the discomfort....I'll be one year out Nov 30 .
Old 11-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #84

I found this on the Mayo Clinic site:

"Gabapentin works in the brain to prevent seizures and relieve pain for certain conditions in the nervous system. It is not used for routine pain caused by minor injuries or arthritis. Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant."

I'm going to talk to my bone Dr about using krill oil. Walmart has Spring Valley 300 mg krill / 90 mg Omega-3 for ~$20 for a twin pack of 60s.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, chair lift, disability, disabled, disabled rvers, handicap, handicapped, wheelchair