Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As with all medications, everybody (every biological system) reacts different to a given medication. Gabapentin is a very potent drug, if used on kind of a self prescribed manner, it can be dangerous! Increasing or decreasing the dose to fast, can lead to seizures! Any dose change should be done with doctors supervision. Yes, Gabapentin is not able to heal anything, it just tells your brain that you do not have pain.
But healing is not possible with most of us who have pain because of permanent nerve damage. But with the pain, we mostly cannot function well or not at all. My chronic pain made me such an uncomfortable person to live with that it helped to destroy my marriage. I wish I would have come upon the medication earlier, my wife and I might still be a happily married couple!

If your pain is caused by osteoarthritis (which means deformation of the joints caused by calcium deposits and/or worn off protective layers on the joint surfaces) Gabapentin will not work. Antiinflammatories of the different type are the medication of choice for those conditions.
Gabapentin treats nerve related pain only, and that is the reason it works for shingles, because that is a nerve disease.

The one thing I can say, I am pain virtually pain free (I still have the different ocasional osteoarthritis pains, bu "normal" anti inflams can handle those pretty well). I am now down to a dose of 1200 mg Gabapentin twice a day, and that seems to work for me.

I was able to work the entire weekend like a "horse" to get my property ready for the long winter. I am slowly building up my muscle strength again, and can do things now that I was not able to do for the last 10 years! With the more intense moving around, I lost quite a bit of weight, and subsequently my blood pressure and my blood sugar went down.
My doc told me f a loose a few more pounds, I might be able to control blood pressure and diabetes with diet only! This is my next health goal, no more diabetes or blood pressure pills in my life!
The "wonder pill" Gabapentin made this possible for me, it might or might not work for you, talk to your doctor about it!

As I wrote earlier, I made my living with medical research, and am pretty well versed in observing medical changes in me/with me, and I have not found any negative effects of Gabepentin with me. But even I will not make any dose changes alone, without discussing them with my doc!

Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #86

I'm just the opposite. Throat cancer caused me to lose 30 lbs. Cancer is gone, but the weight and strength is slow coming back. I take 15mil Lortab and 20mg Baclofen for sciatica pain. I also get an epidural in my lumbar about every 4-5 months. Gabapentin would not be for me.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #87
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Just a short comment here, all statins have the possible side effect of muscle pain. Just to shead more light on your improvement, and I'm glad your doing better, it very well might have been the discontinuation of the statin you was on previous that gave you the relief more so than the Tricor.
The previous staten was not discontinued. The Tricor was in addition to that.

I am in no way however trying to say that Tricor is the answer for anyone else. My point is merely that although it had that effect on me, the very idea that one drug or another can have an effect on someone is a crap shoot. If you're in pain, never give up. The Mayo is a great place to take these problems. I am a user of the Mayo quite often as it is only an hour away.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #88

iRV2 No Limits Club
I thank everyone who has added their experiences.

We all learn more by sharing.
I believe that everyone here believes that no one
treatment works for everyone.

That should go without saying.

If one treatment did work for everyone, we would not be
discussing what is / is not working for each of us.

Thanks again.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #89

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
My inversion table makes my back fell great when I use it. But do not try to use if you have a headache. It will make it even worse. My sinus headaches lately due to the weather changes is the main reason I have not been using it.
Just a pop in to comment on your sinus headaches, sounds like an infection and gets worse with weather pressure changes, and 'different air' may I suggest that you use Colloidal Silver and spray / sniff into your nasal cavities, it will kill ALL bacteria and if there is an infection that too will go away... it may not be an infection and since there are no side effects no harm done...but you will have 'clean' sinus cavities' I find this happens when folks have to turn on heat in their abode, bacteria comes up from the blowers on furnaces... and you breathe it in..

As for Colloidal silver it will heal everything, and is used in hospitals for burns especially, I cannot tell you how many times this has saved the day for me and my animals ... you can use it in your eyes also, I have had thei 'medicine cabinet in a bottle' on hand for 30+ years, and it never fails to amaze me!
It has been around since Eygptian times ...

I also had a broken back, given a 20% chance I would walk again I told them not to order the wheelchair yet... and threw out all the meds and walked out 6 weeks after surgery, I just don't choose to believe everything Drs tell me... this was after 3 years of progressivly not being able to stand walk or sit ... and being told it was all in my head ... nothing showed in Xray until a freak meeting with a special DR who insisted on another Xray and by moving it barely an inch was able to see the break ..well hidden.
I thank 'the powers that be'for sending him every day and that happened in 1970 ...pain free since.
I feel for everyone who has this condition, it is the worst, but walking and swimming and bicycle riding are the big 3 for me, keeps everything working fine.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #90

Has anyone experienced any of the benefits of coral calcium? I've read online that it is beneficial for cleansing the body, but I want to hear some real life experiences.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Has anyone experienced any of the benefits of coral calcium? I've read online that it is beneficial for cleansing the body, but I want to hear some real life experiences.
Coral calcium is just a version of calcium derived from the skeletal structures of dead crustaceans. It may be a little different than other versions of calcium because it may contain some salt residue. Is it better? I doubt that!

Concerning of cleansing your body. You cannot cleanse your body from the inside, and don't need it, because it does not get dirty!
This body cleansing is a marketing ploy along with the famous snake oil!

If you intestines, mainly your colon, as well as your kidneys and liver do their job, you have no "bad things" in your body, they go out with every bowel movement or urination.

If any of the supplements would have a proven medical benefit, they would require FDA approval. In fact, if you read those claims carefully, they are written in a way so they do not need FDA approval, because they say :it might, it could, etc.
We know that some supplements, like certain vitamins, fatty acids, etc. are beneficial, but only if your normal diet will not supply them. It is possible to overdose on certain vitamins (D and B for example) and one can get really sick from it (talk to your Doc anytime you take something that is supposed to have medical benefits, Some supplements may cause counter reactions with you prescribed meds).

I don't even want to mention "Colloidal Silver" as a cure for all (I made my living with research in infection control and prevention), but placebos are also known to help, it is the psychological effect.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
Coral calcium is just a version of calcium derived from the skeletal structures of dead crustaceans. It may be a little different than other versions of calcium because it may contain some salt residue. Is it better? I doubt that! Concerning of cleansing your body. You cannot cleanse your body from the inside, and don't need it, because it does not get dirty! This body cleansing is a marketing ploy along with the famous snake oil! If you intestines, mainly your colon, as well as your kidneys and liver do their job, you have no "bad things" in your body, they go out with every bowel movement or urination. If any of the supplements would have a proven medical benefit, they would require FDA approval. In fact, if you read those claims carefully, they are written in a way so they do not need FDA approval, because they say :it might, it could, etc. We know that some supplements, like certain vitamins, fatty acids, etc. are beneficial, but only if your normal diet will not supply them. It is possible to overdose on certain vitamins (D and B for example) and one can get really sick from it (talk to your Doc anytime you take something that is supposed to have medical benefits, Some supplements may cause counter reactions with you prescribed meds). I don't even want to mention "Colloidal Silver" as a cure for all (I made my living with research in infection control and prevention), but placebos are also known to help, it is the psychological effect.

X2!
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #93

I wasn't planning on taking the coral calcium. I have a buddy in the far north who was telling me all about the cleansing properties of it. He was talking about the kind you soak in water. I've also read the negative reports on it.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #94

Solo Rvers Club
I don't even want to mention "Colloidal Silver" as a cure for all (I made my living with research in infection control and prevention), but placebos are also known to help, it is the psychological effect.[/QUOTE]

With great respect for your scientific knowledge, Hudsoner, I did not say CS was a cure all, I would never suggest anyone toss out their meds and take this, I realize from my post you may have thought I tossed my meds and took this, but I did not, I tossed my meds because having never taken any, my body and head went into overdrive and I was so beyond myself I couldn't stand it, so they went down the drain...

As for medicine there are many out there that are necessary for all sorts of conditions, however with your background in research I am sure you are aware that all medicine originally came from plants, but today contain very little of the 'original medicine,' most is synthetic thanks to the drug manufacturers, and I am sure the the ads on TV for different 'drugs' that claim how much better your life will be, but then go on to warn you of all the things to be wary of...well the cure may kill you faster than the ailment you are suffering from...

I try in my life to use food and food products as medicine,to keep myself healthy, so far so good, I still have my tonsils!! (and all the other bits and pieces that came with the original package,.
There are some foods I don't care for, but I tell myself this is just some nasty medicine and take it first and quickly
I do try to be careful of what I ingest but it does not mean I am a fanatic, I still love a warm piece of cinnamon apple pie with a good chunk of cheddar on the side...

I also keep willow bark handy, it works wonders for inflammation and fever.
(Now a very common medicine OTC.)

Not all things 'natural' are snake oil, how do you think centuries of people managed before what we now call 'modern medicine'.... 100 years ago they too were working with 'modern medicine' and 100 years from now our methods will be also thought of in the arena of 'snake oil'...

I see a health blend afoot ,of natural and pharmaceutical treatments, and believe me when I say I would NEVER take a prescription drug before consulting with the pharmacist every time. They are marvelous at catching 'errors'

I have often asked the druggist about the safety of different meds for other people. and have found them to be very honest, they have nothing to gain or lose by their opinion should I ask for it ...
Old 11-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
@Enokie, I have to apologize that I misunderstood you!
You are correct, it all started with the herbal medicines that were discovered centuries ago in the different areas of Europe (it were mostly women who had the knowledge at that time).
The difference between than and now is the fact that we know which substance of a certain plant caused the medical reaction we wanted to have. This was found by studying the plant and step by step deducing its biological building blocks (synthesizing) to get to the molecules that are responsible for its healing power. Many of today's medications are still plant based, but the active ingredient is so concentrated that a little pill is enough to have the healing power of an entire bushel of the base plant. Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid (ASA)) is a good example for this.
Already in the mid 1800's pharmacists at bayer AG discovered this compound as being the active ingredient of willow bark, and found later that meadowsweet is an even better source for this. Today it is possible to create ASA by synthesizing its molecules from the base components, and plants are not needed any more.
But herbal remedies still have a place in todays world. I take valerian root for mild sleep problems, drink camomile tee when I have an upset stomach, or other herbal tees just for a general well being.
However, one of the main sources for staying in good general health are good foods. We bake our own bread whenever possible, and never use bleached flower for it. It is mostly whole wheat and whole rye flower with some spelt along.
It is to bad that the US, unlike Europe does not require to keep antibiotics and other medications out of our meat chain of foods, or does not require to indicate (thanks to the Monsanto protection act financed through lobbying efforts of this company) if our foods are genetically engineered!
Because of these uncertainties, we buy our food in natural/bio food stores only or produce it in our own garden.
Just remember, natural/herbal medications can also cause adverse reactions if the wrong combination is used. It is always a good idea to check with a pharmacist to make sure that this will not be the case. Pharmacists are even better in this knowledge than Doc's are who do not have the in depth biochemical education pharmacists have.
And just as a side line, I am also in the possession of all bits and pieces my body came with, however, some don't work as well anymore as they used to do!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow, this has been very informative posts, especially since I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and losing movement of my neck. Plus lower back issues. Being in a small town with limited physicians, I can now research and show doctors what I have found. I was going to check out some of the back and spine clinics in FL later.
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
Wow, this has been very informative posts, especially since I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and losing movement of my neck. Plus lower back issues.
Sounds like me. Narrowing of the cervical spine, thoracic and lumbar compressed discs.
Hope this isn't TMI, but my current pain shows on my latest MRI. Almost feels like something a bone cracker could fix.

Going for a "Consult? next Tuesday and will have to probably wait another two weeks for an epidural. They usually work for my sciatica, but having to get them sooner each time.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:17 AM   #98

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
@Enokie, I have to apologize that I misunderstood you!
You are correct, it all started with the herbal medicines that were discovered centuries ago in the different areas of Europe (it were mostly women who had the knowledge at that time).
The difference between than and now is the fact that we know which substance of a certain plant caused the medical reaction we wanted to have. This was found by studying the plant and step by step deducing its biological building blocks (synthesizing) to get to the molecules that are responsible for its healing power. Many of today's medications are still plant based, but the active ingredient is so concentrated that a little pill is enough to have the healing power of an entire bushel of the base plant. Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid (ASA)) is a good example for this.
Already in the mid 1800's pharmacists at bayer AG discovered this compound as being the active ingredient of willow bark, and found later that meadowsweet is an even better source for this. Today it is possible to create ASA by synthesizing its molecules from the base components, and plants are not needed any more.
But herbal remedies still have a place in todays world. I take valerian root for mild sleep problems, drink camomile tee when I have an upset stomach, or other herbal tees just for a general well being.
However, one of the main sources for staying in good general health are good foods. We bake our own bread whenever possible, and never use bleached flower for it. It is mostly whole wheat and whole rye flower with some spelt along.
It is to bad that the US, unlike Europe does not require to keep antibiotics and other medications out of our meat chain of foods, or does not require to indicate (thanks to the Monsanto protection act financed through lobbying efforts of this company) if our foods are genetically engineered!
Because of these uncertainties, we buy our food in natural/bio food stores only or produce it in our own garden.
Just remember, natural/herbal medications can also cause adverse reactions if the wrong combination is used. It is always a good idea to check with a pharmacist to make sure that this will not be the case. Pharmacists are even better in this knowledge than Doc's are who do not have the in depth biochemical education pharmacists have.
And just as a side line, I am also in the possession of all bits and pieces my body came with, however, some don't work as well anymore as they used to do!
Thank you for your post, you are 100% correct, I would never trust that our Drs know more than the druggist, sadly this is not their area of expertise and they really only know what the salesman tells them and the salesman only knows what the drug co. wants them to know... so if I ever have to take a prescription I head to the druggist (pharmacist ) top speed.

Sadly you are correct about the lack of nutrients in our food and so are forced to find higher quality foods, I cannot eat red meat from the grocery store, (full of chemicals antibiotics etc,making me very ill) but I can eat it if I get it from a ranchers personal stock, (no chemicals) however I can eat buffalo (Bison) meat no problem and it tastes like beef, but much leaner and no chemicals.. buffalo never go to the feed lots. the meat makes the best hamburgers..

I too like herbal teas and find them delightful even cold.. and your explanation of the compounding and synthesizing of the original plant based medicine speaks well to the progress over the years, I still like to know the plants... might get stuck out in the woods someday ...

The silver I spoke of is something I use topically, on a burn it is amazing, the heat is removed from the site and the flesh regenerates quite rapidly with repeat applications, on open wounds and ulcerated legs it is amazing to watch the flesh heal! I have given it to folks who have had no success with the prescribed meds and because it is incredibly safe to use it can even be used on newborns (4 and 2 legged I make my own silver and share it (no charge) with anyone who needs it.
Here it is used in the burn unit of the hospital, they call them 'silver packs.'

As an aside, I too make bread and use unbleached flour, I have a very healthy honey oatmeal bread that is to die for, if you have a bread machine, I will send you the recipe if you wish...

Tags
ada, chair lift, disability, disabled, disabled rvers, handicap, handicapped, wheelchair