Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
@ Dunner, with epidural, I assume an epidural or long needle injection, am I correct? I had that done once with my back, most of the times the injected media is a cortisone mixed with a pain medicine. I had that done twice, and it helped me for a little more than a month at a time. But these injections do nothing to "heal" the problem, they just take the inflammation and the pain away. After the second one that was to have positive effects for about a year, did not work nearly as long, I decided to go to plan B and have work done on the cause. For me that meant surgery. But even this did not take care of the pain anymore, because I waited to long before I had it done and I had developed already chronic nerve inflammation, and that was the point they decided to try and see if Gabapentin would work. And boy did that stuff help me after I was at the optimal dose!

Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
@Enokie, you are right with the meat! We are lucky with it, because a cousin of my wife is still operating a little part of the old family farm and raises hogs and beef cattle just for family members and friends. The cattle goes out on the pasture in early spring and comes back in in fall and gets to the butcher.
We get each year a quarter cow and a quarter pig from him, and don't touch any store bought meat. Specifically store bought hamburger is scary, because the pound of hamburger you buy may have been composed of the meat of many different cows. Even if one of them was sick, you'll never be able to trace it back to your pound of hamburger!

Now I understand how you apply the silver solution. This makes sense, because metal is antibacterial/microbial (that is the reason why food service installations and labs all have stainless steel working surfaces). The effluent (kind like the poop) of microorganism cause a reaction with the metal which creates an acid. This acid in turn kills the microorganism. And this is what happens with your silver application. We also know that moist healing of skin wounds is the best and fastest healing method for skin wounds. However, moist healing can easily lead to infections. The paste form of your silver application allows for the moist healing and the antibacterial properties of it prevents any infection. The metal content might also defuse any heat and make the wound feeling much cooler.

It would be interesting to know how you prepare the compound.

Along that line, it is always interesting to see that people try to avoid the metal door handle of the doors in public rest rooms and rather touch the door material (wood most of the times) to operate such doors. If the handle is cleans, it is the part of the door that has the least microbial load, because of the killing effect metal has on microorganism. The wooden sections of the door might be loaded with bugs, and touching it might have the opposite effect people hope it has. If the handle is not soiled, it is the best part to operate the door.

And yes, I have a bread machine, and would be delighted to get your bread recipe. Most of the times I use a banneton and a baking stone to make my bread.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #101

Hudsoner,

I guess it was a long needle. He dad to inject it in my hip joint. Watched the needle and fluid go in the first time, but anymore, I just tell him to wake me when he's done.

Will mention Gabapentin to my Dr and see what he thinks. He wrote me for 15 mil 7.5/500 Lortab, 3 times a day, but I usually only use 10 mil twice or less a day... depending on the pain. This will be the first time addressing that spot.

I have a high tolerance for pain meds, so may need max dose of Gabapentin. Will do some more research on it first. Is brand name important, like some sites state? Insurance only covers generic.

Thanks.

Edit: After reading all the instructions, warnings and restrictions for Gabapentin, I don't think it is for me. Lortab kicks in, in about an hour and usually works for my pain. I'll still ask.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Hudsoner,

I guess it was a long needle. He dad to inject it in my hip joint. Watched the needle and fluid go in the first time, but anymore, I just tell him to wake me when he's done.

Will mention Gabapentin to my Dr and see what he thinks. He wrote me for 15 mil 7.5/500 Lortab, 3 times a day, but I usually only use 10 mil twice or less a day... depending on the pain. This will be the first time addressing that spot.

I have a high tolerance for pain meds, so may need max dose of Gabapentin. Will do some more research on it first. Is brand name important, like some sites state? Insurance only covers generic.

Thanks.

Edit: After reading all the instructions, warnings and restrictions for Gabapentin, I don't think it is for me. Lortab kicks in, in about an hour and usually works for my pain. I'll still ask.
Gabapentin is not a pain medication, it basically tells your brain that you do not have a nerve problem/inflammation. It works for nerve problems only, it does nothing against my joint pains caused by osteoarthritis. I take Tylenol and/or Celebrex for this.
Gabapentin is actually used as the most common drug against epileptic seizures, which are a problem of the nerve system. A side effect of this medication is the fact that it covers any other problems of the nervous system. If one goes up or down with the dose to fast, one can get seizures. I just cut my dose down by 1200 mg, it took two weeks to do it, 600 mg per week. If you follow the recommendations, you might be as lucky as I am, I do not have any side effects from taking it, and I take it now for about 11 month.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #103

I have a very erratic sleeping schedule that would not tolerate the irregularities in dosage I would be taking. I'll still ask, but I think it is off the table.

I'm very comfortable with the Vicodin (Lortab) I am taking. I am years past getting mellow off of it, but am addicted to the pain relief it give me. Thanks again.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I have a very erratic sleeping schedule that would not tolerate the irregularities in dosage I would be taking. I'll still ask, but I think it is off the table.

I'm very comfortable with the Vicodin (Lortab) I am taking. I am years past getting mellow off of it, but am addicted to the pain relief it give me. Thanks again.
Wow, that is a heavy thing to use Vicodin as a daily pain reliever! I can't handle the opioid part of it, it keeps me in constant lala land, and I see the world through a hazy curtain!

Why is your sleeping schedule so erratic, is that something a sleep lab should be used to look at?
I had a similar problem, and the packed me into a sleep lab. They found out that I woke up over 50 times a night and never reached REM sleep.
I have now a very modern CPAP unit,that senses my breathing and adjusts pressure accordingly , and also humidifies the air I breath in, and I now sleep most nights 7 to 8 hours. It took a while until I was able to find a face piece that I would tolerate.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #105

If I took the meds the way there were ordered, I would be the same way. The label says "As needed" and that's how I take it.

If I don't use Ambien, I'm awake every hour. Been that way for years. Have had insomnia since I was ~11 years old. I also have never been able to sleep on my back for very long. Get dry nasal and mouth. Maybe the proper CPAP would help me sleep on my back and also help me relieve the back pain. What brand is yours and do I need a prescription?
Old 11-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
If I took the meds the way there were ordered, I would be the same way. The label says "As needed" and that's how I take it.

If I don't use Ambien, I'm awake every hour. Been that way for years. Have had insomnia since I was ~11 years old. I also have never been able to sleep on my back for very long. Get dry nasal and mouth. Maybe the proper CPAP would help me sleep on my back and also help me relieve the back pain. What brand is yours and do I need a prescription?
I have a System One from Philips. It is very important to find the right face piece. I am not able to tolerate a full face mask, but do very well with just nostril tips or a small nose mask.
Yes, you need a doc to prescribe it, cause they have to determine the program and humidification level the unit has to set for. I had to take a clip on oxygen sensor home for overnight, and the data from this was used for programming the unit. You might even need a sleep study do understand your sleeping problems.
I would do this, if I would be you. Now I sleep every night seven to eight hours, and most of the times it is the dogs who wake me up!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #107

i took high doses if Gabapentin and all it did was give me burred vision.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #108

In the field of health technology, sometimes waiting for newer, better procedures is worth the wait. I have had back pain for almost 40 years but it has never kept me from doing things I like or need to do. There are a couple of procedures that seem to have promise:
Cellular Disc Injection Treatment for Back Pain - Columbia / St. Louis, MO | Dr. Joseph Meyer
New gel to repair damaged discs | Chemistry World

My back has been a lot better since I had a hip replacement 5 years ago, found out my right leg was almost 3/4" shorter than my left and they fixed that when the hip was repaired. The methods and materials keep getting better (for the most part), glad I waited. Likewise, I damaged my knee in a skiing accident in the '60s, Drs recommended the typical invasive, destructive surgery common in those days. I refused it and toughed it out for a long time until 8 years ago, when I walked in and walked out of surgery with an amazingly pain-free knee!
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:11 PM   #109

Well, the epidural the 15th seems to be working. Had him split it up between my lumbar and T8-9. Still some residual area pain and my neck hurt pretty bad the first night. According to my DR, the medicine flows upward; hence the neck pain. Had to use my TENS last night for a while on T8-9. May need it today.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:45 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Well, the epidural the 15th seems to be working. Had him split it up between my lumbar and T8-9. Still some residual area pain and my neck hurt pretty bad the first night. According to my DR, the medicine flows upward; hence the neck pain. Had to use my TENS last night for a while on T8-9. May need it today.
Hope you're feeling better, Mike.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:46 AM   #111

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
did you also ask your dr. to do a bone density xray to see if you have more problems that allow some of your problem...also while rv'ing do you have a air filled seat that helps your back....also brace support that you can put heat or ice on...epiderals usually work from injedction sight down...ie epidural for child birth...numbs from sight down or they'd need ventilator.....my husband has a few of these...arthritis...brittle bone due to density and discs...be careful on meds as it can mask your pain only to make it worse....seriously have you tried acupuncture as it seems to help...he's also on bone thickening meds to stabalie the strength of bone...also hot rock therapy works alot to...i do hope your feeling better and that some suggestions would help...
Old 02-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #112

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had back pain for years since about 24ish and I am now 31. I believe it is from the 6 deployments that I have been on. I have has so much PT and injections that I can't count how many. Last year it was so back bad, that the doctors put a Pro-disk in the L4-L5 to help but the pain is still there, better but not gone. I need to more disks or fusions and don't know if it will help. I was able to drive 12-14 hours now maybe 3 before it get really bad. I now sleep in an adjustable bed just to get some sleep.

Tags
ada, chair lift, disability, disabled, disabled rvers, handicap, handicapped, wheelchair