Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2014, 07:27 AM   #113

I had a triple laminectomy in April 2013, but I am a personal trainer and was strong going into the surgery. My recovery was excellent. A stayed home for 2 months post op then went back to work as a trainer again. As age also matters, I am 56. I had a good surgeon at NY University Hospital in NYC. My surgeon said he has performed this surgery on football players and they are back in the game, but they're half my age. I wouldn't play football but exercise is important.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Hope you're feeling better, Mike.
It comes and goes. Thx for asking. I basically have arthritis all down my back.

Adjustable bed is on the way for the cost of a tank of gas from 300 miles away. I'm a stomach sleeper, but could learn... I guess.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #115

Solo Rvers Club
I came back to this thread hoping that my experience might help someone. As I've written in posts, above, nothing...not even extensive surgery stopped my pain. I was recommended to a pain clinic for nerve blocks 13 months after surgery for the exact same pain I had before surgery, therapy, aquatic therapy, six epidural steroid shots. Hydrocodone did not help the pain at all.

I was fortunate to get the most wonderful young woman physician. After talking to me, reading my records, and having me diagram where my pain was located, she said I'm going to switch the treatment. She gave me shots in the sacroiliac joints on both sides. Voila! Magic! No Pain!

I could barely walk or stand one day; the next I was back doing everything I once did-PAIN FREE with no more narcotics! The doctor told me to take Aleve twice a day (which I forget to do) and gave me a prescription for Tramadol in case I need it. I don't.

The moral of "this story" is Doctors can be "in the right church but the wrong pew." I had some fractures in the spine and blown out disks so the pain was automatically attributed to my back. The surgery stabilized my back, but the pain I went to the surgeon for was never caused by my back. Who knew? The sacroiliac joint evidently is difficult to diagnose because the pain location is often, mistakenly, attributed to the back (especially if they can see a lot of damage to the spine on the MRI.

Two easy peasy shots ended three years of excruciating pain.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #116

My Dr knew right away that my problem was sciatica and treated it with and epidurals. Some worked better than other, but the latest one has me feeling pretty much normal. I will not use that Gabapentin (sp). It blured my vision and did nothing for the pain.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #117

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
My Dr knew right away that my problem was sciatica and treated it with and epidurals. Some worked better than other, but the latest one has me feeling pretty much normal. I will not use that Gabapentin (sp). It blured my vision and did nothing for the pain.
They don't have a problem diagnosing sciatica, it's the sacroiliac joint that fools them, especially if you have existing back problems/pain. No medication helped my pain before or after surgery and I tried all of them. I was on a strong dose of hydrocodone, had no pain sitting or lying down, but standing and walking was impossible even with the narcotics.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #118

Each case is different. Mine seems to be responding to the targeted area. I can say this: I am no longer constipated.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #119

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Each case is different. Mine seems to be responding to the targeted area. I can say this: I am no longer constipated.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboPals View Post
After a thoracic epidural, my T8-9 flared up enough to put me in the ER. The drugs to ease the pain were a little overboard. Oxycotin. Only took one of those and it almost put me back in the ER. They are now locked in my safe. When I went in for an emergency epidural, were were going after T-8-9. It eased up and the lumber flared up. The good thing about epidurals is they travel up, so it looks like it took care of the thoracic area.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboPals View Post
I came back to this thread hoping that my experience might help someone. As I've written in posts, above, nothing...not even extensive surgery stopped my pain. I was recommended to a pain clinic for nerve blocks 13 months after surgery for the exact same pain I had before surgery, therapy, aquatic therapy, six epidural steroid shots. Hydrocodone did not help the pain at all. I was fortunate to get the most wonderful young woman physician. After talking to me, reading my records, and having me diagram where my pain was located, she said I'm going to switch the treatment. She gave me shots in the sacroiliac joints on both sides. Voila! Magic! No Pain! I could barely walk or stand one day; the next I was back doing everything I once did-PAIN FREE with no more narcotics! The doctor told me to take Aleve twice a day (which I forget to do) and gave me a prescription for Tramadol in case I need it. I don't. The moral of "this story" is Doctors can be "in the right church but the wrong pew." I had some fractures in the spine and blown out disks so the pain was automatically attributed to my back. The surgery stabilized my back, but the pain I went to the surgeon for was never caused by my back. Who knew? The sacroiliac joint evidently is difficult to diagnose because the pain location is often, mistakenly, attributed to the back (especially if they can see a lot of damage to the spine on the MRI. Two easy peasy shots ended three years of excruciating pain.
S1 is part of the spine, a very important part, the base of the spine. I had L3 to S1 fused with instruments around 1990. C7 to C4 a year later with instrument. A year later a peripheral entrapment surgically removed near my hip. All diagnosed by my one spine surgeon. Each surgery worked perfectly. In 2003 I was in a car accident, hit and run rear ended. I sprained above and below each of the two 4 level fusions. I sprained S1 and it caused my whole body just to hurt, everywhere. I was stunned which I told the ER. They kept checking my heart, screw the heart I hurt. Back to the original spine surgeon, I had survived an accident that he told me he never would, he diagnosed the sprains and sent me back to PT for 4 to 5 months. The PT was wonderful. I healed.

Trust me S1 is a big deal. It is a mass of boney cartilage. Screw with it you are screwed as you have mention but any good spine surgeon should be able to diagnose it. It's human behavior to deal with the simple and forget the rest. The PT diagnosed the 2 ribs separated from the sternum, seatbelt over pacemaker like device. I asked him to prove it so he put his fingers into the separation, wow. I had no pain, that I could feel, in the ribs. You only can feel so much pain.

Epidural, 22 before the fusions and I will have no more, ever. The spine surgeon said I was lucky in that someone had not screwed up. Screwing up an epidural is really not good. Make sure the physician giving the epidural is highly skilled. Screwing up spine surgery for that matter is not good. What is good is a good diagnostician. I think they are hard to find.

One more thing if you have screwed up a vertebrae or many vertebrae most people can not point to that vertebrae per the spine surgeon, I could.

Screw up S1 you are screwed and you may not be sure where.

Tags
ada, chair lift, disability, disabled, disabled rvers, handicap, handicapped, wheelchair