Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #1

Back up camera for hitching my TT ??

When my ATV is loaded in the back of the truck, I can't see anything & I'm usually alone.

Anyone have suggestions ? I am clueless about what & what not to buy.Viewing angles etc.

Cost is also a key factor. I really don't want to spend much since this is just an occasional situation.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #2

They are several cameras to choose from,that mount to your tag bracket. My son put one on his tundra when you put it in reverse it shows in the rear view mirror.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can get rods, or make them yourself, that hook to the bumper of the truck and the tongue of the trailer that are used to guide you in backing up to the trailer. Just line up the rods and you will be in line, the only adjustment will be getting the ball under the tongue and that will not take much practice. Best of all it is way cheaper than a camera system, practically free if you make them yourself, and you can get the height that you need to see over your 4 wheeler.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:33 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
We use the i-ball camera. It is magnetic, wireless, the screen just plugs into the lighter outlet and is on a flex line that allows you to position the viewing screen in many angles. The actual camera is also adjustable. I use it on behind a 38' 5r and my truck is full size also so that is about 55' distance and have no problem at all. I forgot the price but you can find it with a simple search.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
We use the i-ball camera. It is magnetic, wireless, the screen just plugs into the lighter outlet and is on a flex line that allows you to position the viewing screen in many angles. The actual camera is also adjustable. I use it on behind a 38' 5r and my truck is full size also so that is about 55' distance and have no problem at all. I forgot the price but you can find it with a simple search.
I looked into the i-ball based on this post. Ordered one this evening. Can't wait to try it. We have small aluminum boat and a fiberglass 20 foot boat and the travel trailer so can't wait to try it.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #6

The iBall looks to be a good choice.

Since my original post, & since "I'm cheap" I ordered a wireless Refurb Yada 3.5" monitor ($55 on Ebay). It will be here today.

I'll post my conclusion after installation.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I was a little skeptical based on the price of the i-ball but reviews were favorable so I said what the heck and thought I would give it a try. One of the reviews were the screen could fade in and out. Another commented that if you put in good batteries that is not a problem.
When mine came, I put in good batteries and have not had a issue at all. Very clear and since the camera itself is adjustable, magnetic I have not only used it to back the 5r up, but for a rear look as I back up to the pin, I also have a tight turn near a tree going out of our home base camp ground. No problem I put the i-ball on that also. I have demo-ed it to a few guys in the parks were at and they have been impressed as well. I also use it to hitch the boat. I can put that ball right on the money. You will not be disappointed.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #8

I also use the i-ball with great success. I've shown it to a number of fellow campers describing it as "the best marital aid" ever. No more po'd wife.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #9

Will this work going down the road, mounted on the bumper of a TT? Or is the monitor too small for this?
slanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slanted View Post
Will this work going down the road, mounted on the bumper of a TT? Or is the monitor too small for this?
Are you wanting to see behind you as you're driving down the road ??
Old 08-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #11

Dakota,

Yes, please!

slanted
slanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
I had read on the reviews one guy did that. So yes it can be. I also read where a guy forgot to dismount his and went down the road and it was there when he got to his next stop. It seems to have a solid strong hold on steel with my rig but I had no need to travel with it in place. It is battery operated and when turned on illuminates a small red light indicator. I am still on the original set of batteries after a year of use.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #13

Smile Using a backup camera for viewing behind the TT while driving

First of all, I know very little honestly about these or what all is on the aftermarket environment.

But, the short answer to your question is YES.

There are two types of backup cameras, hardwired or the use of wireless.

In your case, I'd say the hardwire scenario would be best.

If I were you, I'd contact customer support of a few manufactures & talk with them.

Aftermarket cameras are wired to the back up lights of your rig.
When you put it into reverse the camera is powered on & off whenever you're in a forward gear.

If you wire to the license plate lights instead & turn on your headlights, even for day time driving is not a bad idea, your camera will have power & work for what you want.
Assuming that you will be using only one camera with some type of quick disconnect. You can use the same camera & connect it to the back of your rig and hook up the trailer. The hot lead at the back of the truck could then be connected to the back up lights, as normal.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #14

Install complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota98 View Post
The iBall looks to be a good choice.

Since my original post, & since "I'm cheap" I ordered a wireless Refurb Yada 3.5" monitor ($55 on Ebay). It will be here today.

I'll post my conclusion after installation.
Installation pics - works great !!!

This is a wireless set-up. unit has color, contrast & brightness controls, along with being able to turn the graph on or off. camera has 3 - vertical adjustments & mounts to the license plate upper frame

I painted the "lip" of the TT tongue bright yellow, that helps also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	77353f947e08b4131408845792.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	71916   Click image for larger version

Name:	93153f94813352e61408845843.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	71917  

Click image for larger version

Name:	85953f948a489e581408845988.jpeg