Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2016, 04:43 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
It doesn't make any difference to me because I always have a spotter at the rear of the coach giving hand signals. If I don't see the spotter in the driver's mirror, I stop until she gets there

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 04:58 PM   #16

X2
Using a spotter. It doesn't matter.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
From Lazydays training
Old 04-02-2016, 06:07 PM   #18

I back in either side. First I check for overhead tree limbs then rotate both mirrors down so I can see the rear tires, where they go the top is sure to follow. I only use the back up camera to check the clearance at the rear of the site. I tell my DW, remember that we are not the first unit to park here so we know we will fit. Just concern yourself with the drivers side location and you will be fine.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:26 PM   #19

slow is the best, no matter WHICH way you pull in or back in, your rear wheels determine where your turn should start as it determines your 'corner' - often having a point of reference on the corner is actually helpful, such as a site number or marker stake. The entrance to a site driveway is even more better!
and...
NEVER hesitate to stop, get out, and look for yourself - no one cares about your finances and aggravation more than yourself - don't even rely on park employees, or worse, neighbors that THINK they are trying to help. Don't let peer pressure cause an accident.
Ask me, I made that mistake once.

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:42 PM   #20

All the above information great for the beginner or experienced RVer!

Thanks, Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I find that about 75% of the time, I don't have a choice. Either the roadways are directional or the site is angled. With that said, I also find that about 75% of the time, I'm able to place the campsite on the driver's side which I find easier to negotiate. As soon as my drive axle clears any obstructions, I crank hard left and can usually do it in one shot.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #22

I prefer the drivers side, but I too use a spotter. After 15 years of RVing my wife and I took a 2 day RV driving class, which included backing. It is much easier now. Of course we watch the coach, but we also watch the tires for starting and finishing a turn.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:27 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
well this was all good information for those with a motor home, but we pull a fifth wheel, so the best that I got out of this is try to always back in on the drivers side, this is my first trailer and having no experience at backing in let me tell you its a fun sight for those in the park, bring out the lawn chairs and light the BBQ this may take a while, as far as pulling it down the road i have no problems, I don't spend a lot of time looking in the mirrors, I don't change lanes a lot, I don't worry to much about people merging on the freeway, I'm bigger and that's what insurance is for, but pulling into the camp ground is where I lose all of my confidence that I had gained from a long and perfect day of driving on the freeway and pulling into truck stops and rest stops along the way, BTW we are 63 feet long from the trucks front bumper and the back of the trailer
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:51 PM   #24

I'm kind of with JeepO...

I'm in a Class A, sometimes with a toad or trailer, and while all this thread has good data and good info, I am in and out often while backing in. I am in no rush, and while I have asked my wife to ground guide, I have been better off without at times.

It is nothing for me to get part way in, and do a 2nd or even 3rd stage walk around. I reconfirm branches and other obstacles.

Don't get me wrong, I have often backed into hard spots on the first try. But I have also missed, and taken 3 tries on spots that I thought were simple.

Some may find it entertaining. Sometimes I even entertain myself. I am in no rush. If I to it and do it again, but do not hit anything, I'm good.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Yes, the method described is for a MH. I would have an awful time with a trailer or 5er. I know I could learn, but the curve would take awhile. My hat is off to you.
As some have said they have difficulty following DW's parking motions and/or verbal directions. My DW and I have solved this for us. She is in the MH driver's seat and I am outside spotting. Also, we use walkie talkies. I provide specific directions stating when to stop, go forward or back, which way to turn the 'steering wheel', how much, and to hold the turn until new instruction. Slow and steady and always willing to stop and check things before continuing and willing to make adjustments. All sites are different. It works for us.
Paul and Mary
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPOHOLIC View Post
well this was all good information for those with a motor home, but we pull a fifth wheel, so the best that I got out of this is try to always back in on the drivers side, this is my first trailer and having no experience at backing in let me tell you its a fun sight for those in the park, bring out the lawn chairs and light the BBQ this may take a while, as far as pulling it down the road i have no problems, I don't spend a lot of time looking in the mirrors, I don't change lanes a lot, I don't worry to much about people merging on the freeway, I'm bigger and that's what insurance is for, but pulling into the camp ground is where I lose all of my confidence that I had gained from a long and perfect day of driving on the freeway and pulling into truck stops and rest stops along the way, BTW we are 63 feet long from the trucks front bumper and the back of the trailer
When I was learning to drive a semi-tractor/trailer, my instructor told me "anyone can drive ahead, where you make your money in backing". I never forgot that, and when we bought our first 5er I spent hours in a vacant parking lot backing into car spaces, using cones as markers if the white lines were vague.
With that 32' 5er backing from the drivers side was easiest, but when we bought the 40' 5er that changed. Backing from the passenger-side became easier. Either way, the blind-side is the one where you cannot see the trailer, thus the requirement for a spotter with clear, pre-arranged hand signals you both understand.
If you lose sight of your spotter- GOAL=get out and look, even if you are using radios or cell-phones. They may have stumbled,dropped the radio/phone and are lying directly behind the trailer.

There is no substitute for practice!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:55 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
I see all different opinions on backing since this thread started, and even in the video I posted, a lot of post mentioned "Spotters" .........
Most all Truck driver's are riding solo........like I did, no spotter to help with backing........day or night in the dark. Most all RV's arrive at a camping location during day light hours(Safe and smart) Try doing a blind side back in, in the dark. Then try it from the drivers side.......
I read for some it does not matter which side.........when I was driving, they were called "Professional Drivers"...........
Want a challenge? Try to parallel park from the passenger side, some unloading facility's were set up so this had to be done to unload!
Most always use the drivers side to back..........it is the safest way.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:27 AM   #28

I pull a 5th wheel and I prefer backing up on the driver's side. Backing up on the passenger's side in a tight spot is difficult because you can't move your head enough to see everything in your mirror. I go very slowly and even stop sometimes while I move my (remote) mirror in order to check alignment. You have to know where the trailer and the truck tires are. Most of our favorite campgrounds are smaller ones and in hilly terrain, so there are culverts, ditches, and smallish sites. Remote mirrors are a huge plus.