Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2016, 06:31 PM   #1

Backup Camera / TV question

I am new to motorhomes, moving on up from the travel trailer. The motorhome I am looking at uses the TV as the backup monitor and its missing for whatever reason.

How is this supposed to work? Is it a special type of monitor that powers on when in reverse or is this all manual? Should I be getting an AC\DC tv or be running the inverter as I drive down the road incase I need the camera?

To jump up and turn on the inverter, power up the TV and then change the input seems like a lot of monkey motion just to look behind me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 09:50 PM   #2

Personally I would not mess with trying to repair this system. Instead I would check it out, then buy a new wireless rear-view camera system.
I have an aftermarket Voyager wireless BU camera system in our MH. Instead of wiring the camera power to a backup light, I wired mine to be powered when the ignition key is on. This way I may monitor what I'm towing, the hitch, and still see when I am clear to change lanes.
To do this you have 2 options. Wire the power to the camera to a clearance light, then drive with clearance lights on.
I used the old camera coax to run power from the ignition switch to the camera, I wired 12V positive to the center wire, then used the braided shield wire for ground.
This solved the problems of locating a key-on hot wire in the rear of the MH, and how to run wires if a hot wire was not found.
If you prefer a wired BU camera system, it will be about half the price of a wireless system-just below the wireless system in that Amazon link.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:48 AM   #3

I considered getting a second monitor just for the camera. I just wasn't sure how the original system was designed to work. The placement of the TV format seem ideal for a backup camera anyways
Old 09-28-2016, 12:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemo76 View Post
I considered getting a second monitor just for the camera. I just wasn't sure how the original system was designed to work. The placement of the TV format seem ideal for a backup camera anyways
Doesn't seem like I can edit on the phone. Many to say doesn't seem ideal.

Tags
camera