Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2015, 10:56 AM   #1

Backup Contract ....

Hi All,

We are in the middle of buying our first Class A ( used popup's before )

We visited one dealer but the unit already had a contract on it. (they had paid a deposit but not finalized the deal yet)

The salesman said we can put a "Backup Contract" on the coach in case the deal falls through etc.

My question is: is this normal ? or did a contract even exist I wonder.

Your thoughts....

Thanks
Dave.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #2

Yes, because financing a MH is a bit tricky for some. There aren't a lot of banks/credit unions that offer decent financing. If you really like that particular one, and don't want to search around for another one just like it, put in a backup. They do it on houses all the time. Not much difference here.

Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:03 AM   #3

Thanks for the info Todd157k

I just wasn't sure if it was a scam or not ! we put in a contract, paid a deposit and now are waiting to hear the news..

Why in the world is paying cash and not trading in a bad thing !! I would have thought the dealers would be loving it !
Old 04-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #4

Many dealers need used RV's. Getting one in trade prevents them from having to go to auctions .
Old 04-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #5

The dealership gets a kickback on the financing.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are eligible for USAA, I highly recommend using them.

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:44 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think some misread what you wrote. My understanding is that you found a motor home you like and when you went to buy it, the dealer said someone had already "bought it" by placing a deposit on it. They're suggesting that you agree to a price and sign a contract in case the first buyer backs out.

I would call their bluff.....tell them to call you if it becomes available, but you've found another location with one or you're going looking for another dealer that has one available/similar. To me, they're taking all the price negotiating out of the deal by suggesting they're in such demand that you have to wait in line. I would look elsewhere. You're giving the dealer too much leverage.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I think some misread what you wrote. My understanding is that you found a motor home you like and when you went to buy it, the dealer said someone had already "bought it" by placing a deposit on it. They're suggesting that you agree to a price and sign a contract in case the first buyer backs out.

I would call their bluff.....tell them to call you if it becomes available, but you've found another location with one or you're going looking for another dealer that has one available/similar. To me, they're taking all the price negotiating out of the deal by suggesting they're in such demand that you have to wait in line. I would look elsewhere. You're giving the dealer too much leverage.
What Don said X2!

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote