Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #15

Sighting

Didn't know that, but i think a bunch of people saw one of these hovering over the desert last year

Diesel electric has been around for quite a while, is certainly doable, and would work well, but there's that whole profit vs R&D thing going on, that pretty much kills it in its tracks. I'm pretty sure that if there was a substantial profit to be made, in the motorhome industry, it would have happened by now.

Anyway, my realizing the hp and torque of the newer trucks has me reconsidering the 5th wheel RV option over the motor-coach. Still thinking!

Thanks
275hooah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
I'm waiting for a "Diesel Electric". deSanford
The city transportation dept. bought 3 diesel/electric hybrid bus' 5 years ago. All three are in use today.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #17

See, it can be done!

Any idea who manufactured the busses?
Old 08-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
The railroads have been using "Diesel Electric" for years. Cruise ships also until they changed out their diesels to turbines. deSanford .............must be too efficient, and not good for the oil companies.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #19

As soon as I can, I'm test driving a new diesel Titan to the campground and see what 4500lbs of pin weight does to it!
Old 08-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
I'm waiting for a "Diesel Electric". deSanford
Shoot, I've ran those for 40 years. EMD and General Electric make real good ones.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #21

YES... EMD Electro-Motive Division of General Motors. My dad worked for EMD in the 1930's and I have photos of him and the design crew that developed the first diesel-electric locomotive, put in service in November 1937, or 38.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #22

Lets not go into this too deeply, but has it occurred to you that if the coach engine doesn't run, you have no power steering and no air or boost for the brakes??

Nice dream I just spiked - Huh?

Matt
Old 08-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
Lets not go into this too deeply, but has it occurred to you that if the coach engine doesn't run, you have no power steering and no air or boost for the brakes??

Nice dream I just spiked - Huh?

Matt
Locomotives diesels run all the time to generate the electric to run the motors that move the train. Soooo-- I guess that's where they get the air to put on those squeaky brakes. Jim
Old 08-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #24

I know what you mean MattC, and you're correct. If the engine is what makes everything run, and that engine stops, nothing runs. I don't know what the specifics are, but there must be a plan B in systems like that. Maybe a standby battery bank, or engine or just mechanics that give everyone enough time to get things stopped safely. I don't know, but there must be a plan.

If I'm not mistaken, when there is a sudden air loss, in an air brake system, plan B kicks in and stops everything safely. Something like that.

Just a thought
Old 08-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well... If you ever do that be sure to.

1: Film it and send the film to the auto maker for use in their next ad
2: keep a driver in the motor home cause it may tow it but no way will it stop it
3: Keep the towing vehicle in low-low gear.

Tags
motorhome, toad