Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2015, 08:36 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Backwards water flow

Well, just when you think you have seen it all after 8 years of MH, SURPRISE! Sunday morning after boondocking for several days at Federal campground, I drove MH up to dump station and dumped, then pulled into the potable drinking water and refilled fresh water tank. Went back to campsite and reset up. Turned on pump and nothing, but I could hear water running. Not good! Went outside and noticed water pouring from wet bay compartment. Opened door and water was being pumped out the fill nozzle. Flowing backwards out intake pipe. Could not figure out! Called dealer who said never seen before, sounded like a bad pump relay, but bring it in 250 miles away! Called Winnebago hot line and was on hold with no results 55 minutes. So, in frustration I said end of trip. Then it dawned on me, there could be a check valve on intake fill pipe. Unscrewed brass 90 degree adapter, took out washer screen, and there it was in middle of opening of pipe. Pushed the button, and turned on pump, and everything worked!
so file this info away for when it happens to you!

Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 05:44 AM   #2

Yep, I learned of it the same way you did.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:30 AM   #3
paz

Mrfoto,

As you learned, there is a check valve in the water inlet. The valve sometimes gets stuck, and you can frequently free it by removing the screen and pushing on the plunger the way you did.

There is an O-ring on the plunger that does the sealing, and sometimes the O-ring will get dislodged from the plunger and you won't be able to fix it. Also, the O-ring can wear and instead of a rush of water out the inlet, you will get a slow drip. I always carry a spare water inlet.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sometime we are in parks where the water pressure is so low I leave water pump on. If park pressure drops pump pulls from tank. I have to monitor tank closely because when park pressure comes back it can fill fresh water tank to overflow.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:31 AM   #5

I am wondering about the ability of your dealer and even Winnebago if neither of them diagnosed this simple fix. I mean I'm dumber than a lump of coal and that one way valve was the first thing that I thought of.

Quote:
"I have to monitor tank closely because when park pressure comes back it can fill fresh water tank to overflow."
MaverickBBD I'm curious as to how this is possible. Care to explain your logic?
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
Well, just when you think you have seen it all after 8 years of MH, SURPRISE! Sunday morning after boondocking for several days at Federal campground, I drove MH up to dump station and dumped, then pulled into the potable drinking water and refilled fresh water tank. Went back to campsite and reset up. Turned on pump and nothing, but I could hear water running. Not good! Went outside and noticed water pouring from wet bay compartment. Opened door and water was being pumped out the fill nozzle. Flowing backwards out intake pipe. Could not figure out! Called dealer who said never seen before, sounded like a bad pump relay, but bring it in 250 miles away! Called Winnebago hot line and was on hold with no results 55 minutes. So, in frustration I said end of trip. Then it dawned on me, there could be a check valve on intake fill pipe. Unscrewed brass 90 degree adapter, took out washer screen, and there it was in middle of opening of pipe. Pushed the button, and turned on pump, and everything worked!
so file this info away for when it happens to you!
Mrfoto

Most, (all?), RV water fill connections have a built in check valve.
If/when they malfunction wiggling the "spoked thingee" often stops the back flow.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #7

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Mrfoto

Most, (all?), RV water fill connections have a built in check valve.
If/when they malfunction wiggling the "spoked thingee" often stops the back flow.
Mel
'96 Safari
Thanks for posting this picture, it really helps us old folks that seem unable to comprehend instructions.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:09 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Good info. I'm currently in Anchorage and am experiencing very slow flow of city water. I am suspecting problem with back flow and this posting comes in the nick of time. First replaced the water filter and no change in condition. I then removed all regulators from hose bib and again no change. So now thinking I need to play with that inlet back flow device. The coach is only 15 months old and this shouldn't happen, one would think. I will call Newmar and discuss in the morning.

Thanks for the info above guys.

capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water