Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-16-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Mrfoto's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Danville VA
Posts: 236
Backwards water flow

Well, just when you think you have seen it all after 8 years of MH, SURPRISE! Sunday morning after boondocking for several days at Federal campground, I drove MH up to dump station and dumped, then pulled into the potable drinking water and refilled fresh water tank. Went back to campsite and reset up. Turned on pump and nothing, but I could hear water running. Not good! Went outside and noticed water pouring from wet bay compartment. Opened door and water was being pumped out the fill nozzle. Flowing backwards out intake pipe. Could not figure out! Called dealer who said never seen before, sounded like a bad pump relay, but bring it in 250 miles away! Called Winnebago hot line and was on hold with no results 55 minutes. So, in frustration I said end of trip. Then it dawned on me, there could be a check valve on intake fill pipe. Unscrewed brass 90 degree adapter, took out washer screen, and there it was in middle of opening of pipe. Pushed the button, and turned on pump, and everything worked!
so file this info away for when it happens to you!
__________________

__________________
Paul & Carol plus 2 Bichons
2015 Winnebago Sightseer 35G, Blue Ox Tiger TracBar, 5 Star tune, Safe-t-plus steering
2008 HHR Toad & Working hard at retirement
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 05:44 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Ramets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 2,364
Yep, I learned of it the same way you did.
__________________

__________________
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:30 AM   #3
paz
Senior Member
 
paz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Full-timers - Home is where we park it.
Posts: 4,716
Mrfoto,

As you learned, there is a check valve in the water inlet. The valve sometimes gets stuck, and you can frequently free it by removing the screen and pushing on the plunger the way you did.

There is an O-ring on the plunger that does the sealing, and sometimes the O-ring will get dislodged from the plunger and you won't be able to fix it. Also, the O-ring can wear and instead of a rush of water out the inlet, you will get a slow drip. I always carry a spare water inlet.
__________________
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,500
Sometime we are in parks where the water pressure is so low I leave water pump on. If park pressure drops pump pulls from tank. I have to monitor tank closely because when park pressure comes back it can fill fresh water tank to overflow.
__________________
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:31 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Bigd9's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 3,859
I am wondering about the ability of your dealer and even Winnebago if neither of them diagnosed this simple fix. I mean I'm dumber than a lump of coal and that one way valve was the first thing that I thought of.

Quote:
"I have to monitor tank closely because when park pressure comes back it can fill fresh water tank to overflow."
MaverickBBD I'm curious as to how this is possible. Care to explain your logic?
__________________
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
Pete
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2014 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
Well, just when you think you have seen it all after 8 years of MH, SURPRISE! Sunday morning after boondocking for several days at Federal campground, I drove MH up to dump station and dumped, then pulled into the potable drinking water and refilled fresh water tank. Went back to campsite and reset up. Turned on pump and nothing, but I could hear water running. Not good! Went outside and noticed water pouring from wet bay compartment. Opened door and water was being pumped out the fill nozzle. Flowing backwards out intake pipe. Could not figure out! Called dealer who said never seen before, sounded like a bad pump relay, but bring it in 250 miles away! Called Winnebago hot line and was on hold with no results 55 minutes. So, in frustration I said end of trip. Then it dawned on me, there could be a check valve on intake fill pipe. Unscrewed brass 90 degree adapter, took out washer screen, and there it was in middle of opening of pipe. Pushed the button, and turned on pump, and everything worked!
so file this info away for when it happens to you!
Mrfoto

Most, (all?), RV water fill connections have a built in check valve.
If/when they malfunction wiggling the "spoked thingee" often stops the back flow.
Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Rexhall Owners Group
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Auburndale, Florida
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Mrfoto

Most, (all?), RV water fill connections have a built in check valve.
If/when they malfunction wiggling the "spoked thingee" often stops the back flow.
Mel
'96 Safari
Thanks for posting this picture, it really helps us old folks that seem unable to comprehend instructions.
__________________
Mick & Vonna, 1999 Rexhall Rexair
GRUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:09 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
capnqball's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NW OREGON
Posts: 259
Good info. I'm currently in Anchorage and am experiencing very slow flow of city water. I am suspecting problem with back flow and this posting comes in the nick of time. First replaced the water filter and no change in condition. I then removed all regulators from hose bib and again no change. So now thinking I need to play with that inlet back flow device. The coach is only 15 months old and this shouldn't happen, one would think. I will call Newmar and discuss in the morning.

Thanks for the info above guys.
__________________

__________________
Ron in NW Oregon
2014 Ventana LE 3847
2008 Honda CRV AWD
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low Water Pressure on City Water NINK Monaco Owner's Forum 15 06-09-2017 09:15 AM
Watch your water hook up! Mody n Domy iRV2.com General Discussion 20 10-19-2014 07:02 PM
Low hot water flow Ralph A Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 6 06-18-2014 07:35 AM
Low Hot Water Flow @ Shower Only GrantH RV Systems & Appliances 5 06-01-2014 09:50 PM
Hot water tank cleaning Pilot135pd RV Systems & Appliances 7 01-20-2014 09:40 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.