Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #155

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Possum - how dare you and your family have fun in the great outdoors. Who ever heard of taking the raucous, noise making, game playing, horsing around, rough housing, sporting activity outside. This is news! Big News!! You people need to take that kind of behavior indoors. That's what mom always said. No wait... She said outside with that. Never mind.

Note to self: Get exact location and dates of Possums next Easter getaway. Sounds like a blast.
Flaggship1; The only people who would be out of place at our gatherings are those who demand peace and quiet. I forgot that most have their Honda and Suzuki generators going all day all night. Considering everything else happening they are the quiet side of the gathering. That session is followed by 3 or 4 summer family gatherings where everything is very sedate and still fun. Its just the little 'school boy / girl' in the younger ones sneaking out at the Easter gatherings. Us old pharts end up way on the outskirts looking in. Go visit for a while, have a beer or two, scarf some Smores and then head back out the fringes of the campground, where its relatively quiet.

If you want to tag along just head onto Vancouver Island the Wednesday before Easter and call me, I'm in the book and I'll give you directions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #156

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Possum - how dare you and your family have fun in the great outdoors. Who ever heard of taking the raucous, noise making, game playing, horsing around, rough housing, sporting activity outside. This is news! Big News!! You people need to take that kind of behavior indoors. That's what mom always said. No wait... She said outside with that. Never mind.

Note to self: Get exact location and dates of Possums next Easter getaway. Sounds like a blast.
X2!

Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #157

X3 for Possum!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #158
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Noisy kids, dogs, generators, laughing, games that's all part of camping! As long as it goes on during the day, no biggy.

If you don't like it, you should probably not be camping at that location and stick to some private over 55 resort with rules up the ying yang.
"Don't put that drink on the picnic table without a coaster" and the like.

Granted, excessive and inconsiderate behavior though by people, dogs and whatever should be controlled. One of the last places we stayed at had 20 something year old teens who played loud rap music, swore constantly, smashed beer bottles in the campfire late into the nite. A quick trip to the CG office and a call to the local police authority and they were quiet and gone in the AM. On leaving they threw all their garbage on the campfire and had flames 15' high. I had to grab my hose and put it out.

Inconsiderate, obnoxious, young people with "Attitude" are about the only thing I hate and can't tolerate! They truly ruin a camping experience!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #159

Quote:

And yet when I go to those with the playing and noise making they tell me I can not ride my ATV. Guess there must be a double standard.
I will stick to my CGs with none of that but allows us folks to ride and enjoy a beverage with 10 or so friends at the end of the day, around a camp fire at a site, listening to our music, cutting across each others sites, running our generators over night, letting the dog meet everyone (but we do clean up after him, someone else has to clean up after mother nature's wild creatures).
....to each his own.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #160

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^^ BCook - I guess camping, like politics, ain't beanbag.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #161

Can you imagine , people want different things.... never knew....
Old 06-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #162
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
My pet peeve: people who pull into a campground and immediately show off their "holier than thou" attitude by complaining about whatever anybody else is doing, or not doing...
Down here in the south we've got an App for that, it's called "duct tape" !

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
Old 06-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #163

Forest River Owners Club
We've had (mostly) good experiences camping, but I will say that we've seen every item enumerated in this humorous post that I saved from another forum (sorry, can't recall the original location). Fortunately it's rarely that we have had to cope with more than a couple of these issues at once but any given behavior can get a bit annoying all by itself. That said, we have yet to have anyone's behavior ruin one of our trips (crosses-fingers.)

While it's true that with each camping trip we learn something new, we've also found that we get the opportunity to relearn something old, such as what it is like to live next door to the Simpsons for a few days.

Instead of the ingredients for s'mores, this family has brought a small liquor store. They have a boom box and a large, untrained dog named something like "Thunder-turd." There is an axe and a whittling knife for each family member, all stuck into a tree for safekeeping. There are two layers of rip-stop nylon between you and them.

During the years, I have philosophically concluded that every such campground should have such a group, if for no other reason than to make everything else look good. And the truth is, being a truly obnoxious camper is a delicate art, relying on careful planning and orchestration. The rules are as follows:

1. Make your entrance to the campground fashionably late, preferably after10:00 pm., when there is no available light and everyone else is asleep.

2. Drive around the entire campground with your brights on so you can inspect each potential campsite fully, and so campers can make shadow inside puppets inside their tent if they want. Feel free to idle your engine at high RPM for long periods while you and your family carefully weigh the merits of each site, including those which are already taken.

3. If you have a boat, camper, motor home or other vehicle that blocks your rear view, always back into your parking space. Again, take your time, preferably having someone in your party stand behind the vehicle, shouting directions at the driver. Keep at it until you get it exactly right, grinding your reverse gear, revving your engine and spinning your tires in the gravel as needed.

4. If things take longer than you planned, which they probably will, swear a lot. This is, after all, the country. Do it loudly, leaning out your open window and with all the gusto you can muster. And don't forget the kids. It will ease the tension for everyone if you get them to cry.

5. Pump and pump that lantern for all your worth (skip the directions, you can't see them anyway), then throw in a lit match and enjoy the majesty of your very own atomic blast. Keep the valve completely open, so your campsite will serve as a beacon for other campers who may be lost, dis-oriented or under the impression they were sleeping comfortably.

6. Pack a tent that uses metal poles. Plastic poles just don't clang loudly enough when you throw the sack of them on the ground, trip over them and kick them out of the way.

7. Be sure someone in your party is either: a) drunk and obnoxious; b) ill with bronchitis, emphysema or some other lung affliction that produces a loud hacking cough; c) tired and under the age of four, or d) all of the above.

8. Hours later, when you have set up and fully decorated your campsite with hummingbird feeders, lawn chairs, Japanese lanterns and your newly made walking sticks, zip and unzip all the sleeping bags and tent vigorously four or five times each to ensure proper functioning for the night.

9. Have a radio playing - a simple boom box or car radio will do. If the signal is weak, and there is a lot of crackle, you can always turn up the volume.

And last but not least...

10. Plan to have your entire party sleep late. There is always a family somewhere nearby with small children who rise and begin their day at the crack of dawn. They'd like to eat their granola bars and drop by to play trampoline on your tent. While their parents sip espresso and watch.

There's more you can do, such as:

Go to sleep real late so you will have an excuse to sleep in while your kids go to neighboring sites to drool over other peoples breakfast.

Do your part to keep the forest tidy. Kick down and drag to your site any tree you can. Don't bother to cut it, just let it hang from the fireplace and feed it in as it burns.

Let your kids peel all the bark they can from the white birches. After all you paid for your site, you're entitled to do as you wish.

When you're breaking camp don't bother to get your tarp ropes down, Just hack them off at eye level. After all someone else might want to use them.

Don't bother to dispose of your bottle caps and cigarette butts. Folks are looking forward to living in your dirty ashtray, and the kids will love stepping on those bottle caps.

Get all the heavilly painted firewood you can. Old kitchen cabinets work great. Your neighbors will enjoy the lead, heavy metals and general crud all over their gear.

Travel light when you go to the shower. If the showers are metered you can always hit someone up for a quarter. Better yet try the sincere approach, ask folks to change a $20.

This goes beyond camping but what the heck. Don't forget the camcorder and make sure you get plenty of footage of things like trees and fences. Don't be bashfull about holding everyone up endlessly while you shoot your family documentary.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #164

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWayRand View Post
We've had (mostly) good experiences camping, but I will say that we've seen every item enumerated in this humorous post that I saved from another forum (sorry, can't recall the original location). Fortunately it's rarely that we have had to cope with more than a couple of these issues at once but any given behavior can get a bit annoying all by itself. That said, we have yet to have anyone's behavior ruin one of our trips (crosses-fingers.)

While it's true that with each camping trip we learn something new, we've also found that we get the opportunity to relearn something old, such as what it is like to live next door to the Simpsons for a few days.

Instead of the ingredients for s'mores, this family has brought a small liquor store. They have a boom box and a large, untrained dog named something like "Thunder-turd." There is an axe and a whittling knife for each family member, all stuck into a tree for safekeeping. There are two layers of rip-stop nylon between you and them.

During the years, I have philosophically concluded that every such campground should have such a group, if for no other reason than to make everything else look good. And the truth is, being a truly obnoxious camper is a delicate art, relying on careful planning and orchestration. The rules are as follows:

1. Make your entrance to the campground fashionably late, preferably after10:00 pm., when there is no available light and everyone else is asleep.

2. Drive around the entire campground with your brights on so you can inspect each potential campsite fully, and so campers can make shadow inside puppets inside their tent if they want. Feel free to idle your engine at high RPM for long periods while you and your family carefully weigh the merits of each site, including those which are already taken.

3. If you have a boat, camper, motor home or other vehicle that blocks your rear view, always back into your parking space. Again, take your time, preferably having someone in your party stand behind the vehicle, shouting directions at the driver. Keep at it until you get it exactly right, grinding your reverse gear, revving your engine and spinning your tires in the gravel as needed.

4. If things take longer than you planned, which they probably will, swear a lot. This is, after all, the country. Do it loudly, leaning out your open window and with all the gusto you can muster. And don't forget the kids. It will ease the tension for everyone if you get them to cry.

5. Pump and pump that lantern for all your worth (skip the directions, you can't see them anyway), then throw in a lit match and enjoy the majesty of your very own atomic blast. Keep the valve completely open, so your campsite will serve as a beacon for other campers who may be lost, dis-oriented or under the impression they were sleeping comfortably.

6. Pack a tent that uses metal poles. Plastic poles just don't clang loudly enough when you throw the sack of them on the ground, trip over them and kick them out of the way.

7. Be sure someone in your party is either: a) drunk and obnoxious; b) ill with bronchitis, emphysema or some other lung affliction that produces a loud hacking cough; c) tired and under the age of four, or d) all of the above.

8. Hours later, when you have set up and fully decorated your campsite with hummingbird feeders, lawn chairs, Japanese lanterns and your newly made walking sticks, zip and unzip all the sleeping bags and tent vigorously four or five times each to ensure proper functioning for the night.

9. Have a radio playing - a simple boom box or car radio will do. If the signal is weak, and there is a lot of crackle, you can always turn up the volume.

And last but not least...

10. Plan to have your entire party sleep late. There is always a family somewhere nearby with small children who rise and begin their day at the crack of dawn. They'd like to eat their granola bars and drop by to play trampoline on your tent. While their parents sip espresso and watch.

There's more you can do, such as:

Go to sleep real late so you will have an excuse to sleep in while your kids go to neighboring sites to drool over other peoples breakfast.

Do your part to keep the forest tidy. Kick down and drag to your site any tree you can. Don't bother to cut it, just let it hang from the fireplace and feed it in as it burns.

Let your kids peel all the bark they can from the white birches. After all you paid for your site, you're entitled to do as you wish.

When you're breaking camp don't bother to get your tarp ropes down, Just hack them off at eye level. After all someone else might want to use them.

Don't bother to dispose of your bottle caps and cigarette butts. Folks are looking forward to living in your dirty ashtray, and the kids will love stepping on those bottle caps.

Get all the heavilly painted firewood you can. Old kitchen cabinets work great. Your neighbors will enjoy the lead, heavy metals and general crud all over their gear.

Travel light when you go to the shower. If the showers are metered you can always hit someone up for a quarter. Better yet try the sincere approach, ask folks to change a $20.

This goes beyond camping but what the heck. Don't forget the camcorder and make sure you get plenty of footage of things like trees and fences. Don't be bashfull about holding everyone up endlessly while you shoot your family documentary.
Hey! I only do that on weekends, weekdays we have to go to work at 5:am. I leave My 10 year old is in charge she's pretty responsible.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #165

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Down here in the south we've got an App for that, it's called "duct tape" !
I like this line so much I'm going to steel it; OK?
Old 06-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #166

Freightliner Owners Club
WrongWay Rand, you made me . I've encountered everyone of your ideas. It wasn't funny then, but reading your narrative sure kept a grin going. Nice Post
Old 06-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #167

Winnebago Owners Club
Worst behavior we've encountered just happened today. We've been planning to move to a newly-reconstructed site for a few days, just as soon as the rains broke. That meant this evening or tomorrow, depending on weather. Well, an hour or so after lunch, DW calls me at work to say there's a couple raising Cain outside our coach because they believe they had reserved the space we were occupying (and preparing to leave).

Apparently, as I drove in from just 15 minutes away, the husband escalated to yelling obscenities. I arrived just in time to see the campground manager politely and compellingly inform them that they were banned from the campground for their display. It seemed they had been cautioned before the previous year about uncivil behavior, and this was the last straw.

Ironically, had they just waited patiently until the arrival time layer in the afternoon they supposedly had specified, we would have moved to our new, much nicer site, since the weather was holding. But no, impatience and bad behavior brought down instant Karma...

As it turned out, we all had a pleasant conversation with the campground managers and took some time to relax a little and shrug it all off, then we decided to go ahead and move to the new site, deeper into one of the quieter parts of the campground, with gravel freshly laid down and dead-level, instead of the more open, unlevel, and somewhat muddy old site the others so vehemently demanded.

Some folks just don't get it -- Life's too short; there's no need to get wound up and then rudely force frustration and anger on others.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #168

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvntureCats View Post
Worst behavior we've encountered just happened today...
Wow what a-holes. If you have a problem with the site you are getting why not just see the management. Some people seem to thrive on being like that.

Closed Thread

Tags
campground