Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #169

Winnebago Owners Club
The management was right on top of them as soon as they started winding up, and they handled it all firmly and politely -- in fact, they had their eye on these particular potential troublemakers from the start. They'd had to tell them to tone it down the year before, and this year they weren't going to let them antagonize any campers. We were setting up to move to the new site anyway, so just a life lesson to the rude ones. We just continued on as planned and the new site is great. The rude ones wanted the old site, of all things!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #170

one thing you forgot .... when you go to the dump site remember not to get the hose in the hole and let it get all over then while stepping in it start swearing again and throw you beer bottle in frustration..then leave and not clean it up...jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWayRand View Post
We've had (mostly) good experiences camping, but I will say that we've seen every item enumerated in this humorous post that I saved from another forum (sorry, can't recall the original location). Fortunately it's rarely that we have had to cope with more than a couple of these issues at once but any given behavior can get a bit annoying all by itself. That said, we have yet to have anyone's behavior ruin one of our trips (crosses-fingers.)

While it's true that with each camping trip we learn something new, we've also found that we get the opportunity to relearn something old, such as what it is like to live next door to the Simpsons for a few days.

Instead of the ingredients for s'mores, this family has brought a small liquor store. They have a boom box and a large, untrained dog named something like "Thunder-turd." There is an axe and a whittling knife for each family member, all stuck into a tree for safekeeping. There are two layers of rip-stop nylon between you and them.

During the years, I have philosophically concluded that every such campground should have such a group, if for no other reason than to make everything else look good. And the truth is, being a truly obnoxious camper is a delicate art, relying on careful planning and orchestration. The rules are as follows:

1. Make your entrance to the campground fashionably late, preferably after10:00 pm., when there is no available light and everyone else is asleep.

2. Drive around the entire campground with your brights on so you can inspect each potential campsite fully, and so campers can make shadow inside puppets inside their tent if they want. Feel free to idle your engine at high RPM for long periods while you and your family carefully weigh the merits of each site, including those which are already taken.

3. If you have a boat, camper, motor home or other vehicle that blocks your rear view, always back into your parking space. Again, take your time, preferably having someone in your party stand behind the vehicle, shouting directions at the driver. Keep at it until you get it exactly right, grinding your reverse gear, revving your engine and spinning your tires in the gravel as needed.

4. If things take longer than you planned, which they probably will, swear a lot. This is, after all, the country. Do it loudly, leaning out your open window and with all the gusto you can muster. And don't forget the kids. It will ease the tension for everyone if you get them to cry.

5. Pump and pump that lantern for all your worth (skip the directions, you can't see them anyway), then throw in a lit match and enjoy the majesty of your very own atomic blast. Keep the valve completely open, so your campsite will serve as a beacon for other campers who may be lost, dis-oriented or under the impression they were sleeping comfortably.

6. Pack a tent that uses metal poles. Plastic poles just don't clang loudly enough when you throw the sack of them on the ground, trip over them and kick them out of the way.

7. Be sure someone in your party is either: a) drunk and obnoxious; b) ill with bronchitis, emphysema or some other lung affliction that produces a loud hacking cough; c) tired and under the age of four, or d) all of the above.

8. Hours later, when you have set up and fully decorated your campsite with hummingbird feeders, lawn chairs, Japanese lanterns and your newly made walking sticks, zip and unzip all the sleeping bags and tent vigorously four or five times each to ensure proper functioning for the night.

9. Have a radio playing - a simple boom box or car radio will do. If the signal is weak, and there is a lot of crackle, you can always turn up the volume.

And last but not least...

10. Plan to have your entire party sleep late. There is always a family somewhere nearby with small children who rise and begin their day at the crack of dawn. They'd like to eat their granola bars and drop by to play trampoline on your tent. While their parents sip espresso and watch.

There's more you can do, such as:

Go to sleep real late so you will have an excuse to sleep in while your kids go to neighboring sites to drool over other peoples breakfast.

Do your part to keep the forest tidy. Kick down and drag to your site any tree you can. Don't bother to cut it, just let it hang from the fireplace and feed it in as it burns.

Let your kids peel all the bark they can from the white birches. After all you paid for your site, you're entitled to do as you wish.

When you're breaking camp don't bother to get your tarp ropes down, Just hack them off at eye level. After all someone else might want to use them.

Don't bother to dispose of your bottle caps and cigarette butts. Folks are looking forward to living in your dirty ashtray, and the kids will love stepping on those bottle caps.

Get all the heavilly painted firewood you can. Old kitchen cabinets work great. Your neighbors will enjoy the lead, heavy metals and general crud all over their gear.

Travel light when you go to the shower. If the showers are metered you can always hit someone up for a quarter. Better yet try the sincere approach, ask folks to change a $20.

This goes beyond camping but what the heck. Don't forget the camcorder and make sure you get plenty of footage of things like trees and fences. Don't be bashfull about holding everyone up endlessly while you shoot your family documentary.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #171

My family reunions used to be held in a state park where we sort of mingled with campers. Our reserved shelter house gets all set up with paper table coverings as hoards of my clan arrive with "covered dishes". Things are always orderly, but sort of noisy. Last reunion I attended, we noticed a bunch of people in the food line that did not look familiar. My dad ambled over to introduce himself and ask their names. As suspected, they were not family, at least not our family. Just campers that figured the food line looked pretty good.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
My family reunions used to be held in a state park where we sort of mingled with campers. Our reserved shelter house gets all set up with paper table coverings as hoards of my clan arrive with "covered dishes". Things are always orderly, but sort of noisy. Last reunion I attended, we noticed a bunch of people in the food line that did not look familiar. My dad ambled over to introduce himself and ask their names. As suspected, they were not family, at least not our family. Just campers that figured the food line looked pretty good.
We had the same thing happen on our reunion last year, except the family that showed up also brought along covered dishes of food. Their baked beans were excellent

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #173
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyduck View Post
We had the same thing happen on our reunion last year, except the family that showed up also brought along covered dishes of food. Their baked beans were excellent
Now THAT's a funny story!

Hard to figure whether they were rookies who didn't know better, or seasoned old campers who just felt their beans were good enough to invite themselves to someone else's family reunion.

Gotta love it.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #174

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Devils advocate time .... We have been to numerous campgrounds where the norm is a Saturday Night Pot Luck. If you see one you just join in. At least they weren't trying to freeload.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Now THAT's a funny story!

Hard to figure whether they were rookies who didn't know better, or seasoned old campers who just felt their beans were good enough to invite themselves to someone else's family reunion.

Gotta love it.

Rick
We were in a state park and this family (of 5) thought it was a campground event... brought baked beans, mac and cheese and potato salad. The wife was mortified when she found out it was a family reunion and thought they should leave, so we made then honorary family members...

I could smell the beans and I was NOT going to let them go...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Devils advocate time .... We have been to numerous campgrounds where the norm is a Saturday Night Pot Luck. If you see one you just join in. At least they weren't trying to freeload.
Our favorite park it's Friday night Karaoke, and everyone brings drinks to share (non-alcoholic). Sodas, juice, bottled water, etc...

And nope, they were very generous. Actually brought more than some of the family members....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #177

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our latest

We were at a popular fairgrounds and Friday evening about 9 carloads of younger guys pulled in and started setting up tents. One of them decided that LOUD rap music was just what this normally tranquil place needed.

I took a stroll down to the camp host's site and complained. 15 minutes later he came tooling down the hill and talked to the boys. They turned it down. They then proceeded to drink heavily, talk loudly, and play their music right on the edge of audible. Other than that they were no problem. I thought they were going to party until the sun came up but it didn't happen that way at all.

Here's the funny part: THEY were the security crew for an event taking place at the other end of the fairgrounds. At the end of the event they were too worn out to do much more than sit around and talk. One of them spent all of his time sitting in their traveling boom box listening to 70's Rock. No more rap and it was barely audible outside of their area.

But wait! It gets better. The van had a dead battery Sunday morning when they went to leave. They came to me for jumper cables. I took my jumper battery over there and laughed the entire time.

Entertainment sometimes comes from unexpected directions.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:14 AM   #178

National RV Owners Club
We arrived at noon at a campground to get a site for the night. The office was closed for lunch (for about 20 min longer). I had just finished telling my DH the office was closed, when the hostess sped up in her golf cart and clearly annoyed, told me I could come in and register. (DH and I had planned to just wait until the office opened.) She was still chewing a bite of her lunch. I attempted to apologize, and was curtly told it happened all the time.

Not all bad campground behavior is from campers.

No, I won't identify the campground. She may have been dealing with other issues. Just a note that other hosts/hostesses might think about.

JoAnn
Old 06-18-2013, 01:43 AM   #179

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We used to belong to a private club that my parents helped found. Had a family join with maybe 5 kids. We always had potlucks on the holidays in the private 11 acre park that the club owned. The family would bring ONE can of pork and beans, unopened, then everyone of them at as much as they wanted. At the end the woman would go over and pick up the can and loudly announce that since no one wanted the beans she was taking them home!

Last year at our favorite campground a family came in, parked their small TT backwards (no problem, yet). They were there for the month and fished all the time (again, no problem, yet) BUT they took their fish and dishes over to an unoccupied spot to wash and clean the fish! Left the guts and food on the ground and went back to their spot. Under the campground rules and state laws that was illegal. The hosts came in and talked to them. I guess the woman got angry at the host and they were asked to leave after the second or third complaint. Oh yes, they left their 120 volt outside lights on all night too so they could fish. Now the campground has a "no fishing after dark" rule even though state law allows it for some types of fish.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #180

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We used to belong to a private club that my parents helped found. Had a family join with maybe 5 kids. We always had potlucks on the holidays in the private 11 acre park that the club owned. The family would bring ONE can of pork and beans, unopened, then everyone of them at as much as they wanted. At the end the woman would go over and pick up the can and loudly announce that since no one wanted the beans she was taking them home!
I have a similar story, not at a CG though. At the marina we keep our boat at there was a couple that on weekends would bring two, count 'em two hot dogs. If there was stuff other people brought that was better the two hot dogs went back in the cooler and they ate whatever was out on the picnic table. To make matters worse both of them were, let's just say "plus size" so you know two hot dogs weren't cutting the mustard. Pun intended
Old 06-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #181

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post

A game some people seem to be addicted to as though it were cocaine. It's noisy and the noise is repetitious, think Chinese water-torture. Just as annoying and irritating are the players giving forth hellacious ear splitting laughter outbursts and near hysterical screams and shrieks between the whomp, whomp of the bags. They're every bit as bad as the drunks watching ballgames outside their RVs on their TVs.

I've wondered if people who do these things are even aware of the level of noise they make playing this game or watching a ballgame on TV. At one place the Host had to stop by the (cornhole) site with all the "noise" and remind them it was past "quiet time" and others were trying to sleep.

It's some kind of cloth bags filled with dried peas beans or corn seed tossed at a piece of plywood with a hole cut in it.

I would actually refuse a site next to people with this addiction.
OMG, I hate that game. We were at a campground and the idiots played this game every night during our 5 day stay until 1 or 2 in the morning. However, instead of the bean bags, they used what looked like 5 inch steel washers. Every time the washer hit the plywood, it sounded like someone hit the side of our Moho with a hammer. Every night we called security, but he was to scared to confront the drunks. I would yell at them, they would stop for a few minutes and then start up again. No, we could not move. So now when I see one of those games set up, I cringe.

My biggest grip is idiots that don't abide by quiet time, either at night or in the morning.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #182
HHg

I can honestly say that I've never really had "bad campground neighbors". Even when the 5vrs all get together and throw a party, they try to adhere to the park policies. Now I've stayed at a very nice park with many old growth Oaks trees and good size spaces.....they had a Hispanic bar right down the road that played LOUD music till 1:00 or 2:00 every night !! Won't go back anytime soon.

Hhg

Tags
campground